Ask Happy Homemaker!

by compound complex 337 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

There was only a half a load of laundry and I decided to wash it by hand rather than use the washer.

The bathtub was my container of choice, and I decided to use a plunger to work the clothes in the hot water. Now, I’ve washed clothes by hand before - quite a few times, as a matter of fact. I used to own a washboard, a tub and a hand wringer, but when I moved to town, modern conveniences and all that mythology was calling me, so I got rid of both the washboard and wringer.

Anyway… the bathtub worked great, except that I have one of those push in plugs and when I caught it with the plunger, it came loose and the water started draining. The plunger worked fine, too, except that if I wasn’t careful it would stick to the bottom of the tub and I’d have to pry or pull it loose with a mighty splash. (Lehmans has a real laundry plunger called a “Rapid Washer,” and it won’t stick to the bathtub!)

I learned a few things that I’d either forgotten or hadn’t taken the time to notice before. One is that if you have a basement laundry and you’re washing clothes upstairs, you really should bring up the detergent when you bring up the dirty clothes. And bring up the basket at the same time. And any other laundry aids you might need.

I forgot to bring up the basket when I brought up the detergent and I forgot to bring up the fabric softener when I brought up the basket. Washing clothes isn’t the hardest job in the world, but running up and down stairs in the midst of it makes it a little harder.

Washing clothes by hand has some definite advantages, neverthetheless.

One is that you find minor problems before they become major problems. As I was checking to be sure the socks were clean, I noticed that one of them was wearing thin at the heel. I will put that back when it’s dry and darn it before wearing it again. This is a sock that I knitted from some mystery yarn a couple of years ago, so it will be worth darning although it looks like it won’t wear as well as those made from sock yarn.

Another benefit to washing clothes by hand is that most fabrics won’t pill as they do in washing machines.

And third, while scrubbing dirty socks isn’t my choice of fun exercise, it is exercise. In this day of computers and push-a-button, turn-a-dial work, a little exercise doesn’t hurt.

The last point is one that maybe not everyone can appreciate. I had a moment of utter pride in a job well done when I hung the clothes out to dry. Clothes hanging on a clothesline make me smile anyway, and to think that I’d done it from start to finish…

http://countrylife.lehmans.com The Benefits of Washing Clothes by Hand

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I bake bread daily. You can imagine my slicing up a storm of tasty, crunchy and mouth-watering staff of life for my eager and appreciative family and friends. Likewise you can imagine the bread crumbs mounting up and fairly surrounding and suffocating me. It seems a waste to toss those countless crumblies into the dust bin.

Any ideas?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Helena

Dear Helena,

Yes, I can imagine lots of things, but I doubt my imagination is quite as fertile as that of some of my readers.

Mama Mia called bread crumbs (which she dutifully gathered up from the breadboard and containered) a poor man's grated cheese.

Place a thin layer of crumbs on a large metal baking tray and crisp at low heat in your oven, shuffling them about frequently to assure each crumb's little backside becomes as warm and brown as its frontside. Add seasonings to taste ...

DO NOT ALLOW TO BURN!

Take out of oven eventually and cool. Put into airtight containers.

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Anyway, I've just recently begun the tobacco habit - the kind that requires a light - so I've given up gas for laundering, which I'm sure you'd agree is a very good idea and you do have lots of good ideas as I've been reading your column since you started on the fourth of July, which I remember well because my nephew Chad had a flame thrower in his toy box and his folks needed it to barbeque a chicken ...

CoCo, just a little helpful advice: Perhaps your comments are a tad too inflammatory for most people.

Happy New Year!

Randy

• compound complex
    compound complex

CoCo, just a little helpful advice: Perhaps your comments are a tad too inflammatory for most people.

Randy

But Randy, if I find a spark of interest, shouldn't I try to water it?

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I don't mean to be critical, but it seems you and your loyal readers have an inordinate interest in cleanliness. If cleanliness is next to godliness, then you and your disciples must be sitting at the right hand of God! My mother was a clean freak as well as a religious fanatic. All that's in the past where it belongs.

I'm agnostic but my cleanliness is next to nothing. Styes can be most comfortable and accomodating.

Am I wrong in my outlook?

Pig Pen

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I am overwhelmed by having too much stuff in my tiny flat.

I seem to have this inability to toss my clobber in the dust bin. Actually, "seem" is too vague and sparing. I CANNOT discard anything. Papers, used bottles of every description (I prolly have hundreds by now), spent envelopes from the post, etc. I have hundreds of books lying about where I've run out of fitted book shelves. All the excess, mind you, is neatly arranged in even rows on the floor and the cabinets are all tidily chock-a-block with empty containers, tins, sacks ...

I am very clean but obviously cluttered.

Help!

Messy Marvin

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Messy Marvin:

It is simply - or, perhaps, NOT so simply - a question of mind over matter. In your extreme but, sadly, not rare circumstance, you possess too much matter. To avoid a sense of overwhelmedness, you need to put all your sensors onto underwhelm mode. By this I mean you should, firstly, pluck up your determination and resolve, and, once done, set about one toss-task at a time.

Let's say glass bottles. It's not so simple as it seems as you mayn't just go chucking away all the glass into the trash. You must recycle. Time. Effort. Planning.

Once you've outlined your strategy, contact me ...

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I don't have a huge grocery budget, but, when it comes to cheese, I want the best. Problema? My hard cheese, like Parmesan and Romano, they get hard about the edges or a teense moldy (when spending what little time they do in the fridge before grating and devoration). Same with semi-hards.

When I cut the cheese, hard edges can mean knife slippage and guillotined digits. What's a fromage guy to do? I've been soured over this question from age 12.

Thanks.

Scolios

Dear Scolios,

Coat your edges with a lightish coat of butter after cutting your fromages. From ages past this has been customary ...

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Happy Homemaker,

I realize that TIDE gets dirt out, but I definitely do not have a CHEER wash! I am so frustrated because Clarice - she's my Mrs. Perfect Mother/Wife/PTA President/Yadda Yadda neighbor - always has little Mary dressed in crisp, spanking white pinafores and young Bobby in snappy white trousers (they are also crisp). These little hooligans play in the same grass and dirt as my Molly and Edward.

Why can't my kids' whites be sparkling white with no grass stains like those of the brats next door?

Marge

Dear Marge,

Sounds as if your issues go far deeper than surface dirt. These dark spots on your psyche appear ground into your heart of hearts. While it's true that cleanliness is next to godliness, I see no indication of spirituality on your part. What kind of example are you setting for your children? I want my children clean enough to be healthy but not necessarily clean enough to eat off.

Dress your children in denim from the local thrift store or pave the entire neighborhood in concrete and be done with it.

May I send you some coupons for Arm and Hammer Laundry Detergent?

Hope this helps!

Happy Homemaker!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit