Ran into old JW friend in the airport...Correspondence has ensued...

by Confession 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

So whaddaya think? Will he respond or not? And if so will it acknowledge the points made in my letter--or dismiss as more negativity? Your predictions...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    as I mentioned on the phone, I believe the Watchtower Society does an excellent job of convincing people that God has always worked through an organization of humans. So when former Witnesses ask, “Well what is The Truth then?” they are usually asking, “Well what formal religious organization of men has The Truth?” It is true that I told you I didn’t think there was any such organization. But it very definitely is not true that I haven’t found “something better.” Indeed I have. And, although since you and I have a common background in the Watchtower Society, you’ve heard what I have to say about that subject, you should know that the significant majority of my life is spent—not in things associated with that—but in living my life as fully, confidently and honestly as possible.

I love this part of your email..................

Oh, about the American Native spirituality all I can say is that he is in a very different place right now, one with being in tune with nature and self

awareness. The org. and all its faults has no bearing on his life at this moment...He really, to tell the truth is past the anger, frustration with all the b.s. Maybe

down the road he may be curious but don't count on it.

hope4others

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's an excellent letter. I predict your old friend will freak on you though.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

My prediction is that you'll never, hear from him again. He's like the kid with fingers in his ears, saying "I can't hear you, la, la, la"

That's how witnesses and "apologists" act when confronted with logic and reason that the society may be incorrect.

• Confession
    Confession

The thing that gets me--that makes me wonder how he can take the positions he is--is that he told me how he'd come to embrace religious concepts associated with Native Americans. Then, two weeks later, he says, "Well, I still believe it's the Truth."

Further, I can understand why he might not feel the need to disparage the organization, since he really doesn't get it yet. But how can he validate their policy of punishing all dissent or questioning, their history of condemning all sorts of organizations and individuals--while calling my criticism of it "pointing out faults"?

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Witnesses are often a fickle bunch, I try very hard in my daily life to have as little to do with them as possible, its just easier.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I think Hortensia is right on target. I hope he wipes his self righteous arse with his new paper towels.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Been out for years, but still believes its the Truth: It`s not so uncommon. My younger sister is a bit like that too. These people usually haven`t examined "the Truth" much, they didn`t leave after having realized how bs it actually is, but for other reasons. These are the ones that go back, after X number of years. If you`re going to "teach him" the real truth about "the Truth", go about it slowly, or he won`t be able to keep up (he`s probably still in WTS-induced retardation when it comes to analytical thinking).

• Open mind
    Open mind

Jon,

Excellent reply.

Well, at least it was excellent for ME to read.

As for predictions re: your friend, well it depends on how much he believes Sky Daddy is watching him to make sure his eyes don't see anything the WT says is verboten.

Thanks again,

om

• Layla33
    Layla33

1. They are still affected by long term mind control of the cult. (They heard for many years that anyone attacking the org, is attacking the "brothers").

2. It is easier to do than take the brave step of examining one's belief system. (Far easier to just believe, but not participate).

3. They want to keep peace with those they still have a relationship with in the org.

4. They want to keep the "door open", just in case they decide to go back.

5. They largely still think like jws. They may disagree in some key areas , but still believe the "big" stuff.

Bravo! I so agree, I also want to add that the main crux of this religion is fear of destruction when the world ends, and there are so many people that still want to keep a pinky toe in just in case that dreaded Armaggedon comes and they have a chance to live. This type of indoctrination is hard to get rid of, and when you see world events that are supposedly verifying this teaching, you have those that are "out" still trying to hold on in some way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit