Mexico angry at the influx of Mexicans into Mexico...

by zeroday 91 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I love it. The Aztecs stole Mexico from the Mayans. The Spaniards, (who were raped and pillaged from the Moors), arrived and raped and pillaged Mexico. Then The US decided it wanted all of north America but settled for less fought Mexico. (BTW, They lost more soldiers per capita than in every other war fought to get that land. Not an easy war). So I'm now a product of raping and pillaging. YEEAA!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I love it. The Aztecs stole Mexico from the Mayans. The Spaniards, (who were raped and pillaged from the Moors), arrived and raped and pillaged Mexico. Then The US decided it wanted all of north America but settled for less fought Mexico. (BTW, They lost more soldiers per capita than in every other war fought to get that land. Not an easy war). So I'm now a product of raping and pillaging. YEEAA!

History lesson in 30 seconds!

There's trouble at the mill . . . . .

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Big Tex - The Annexation of Texas was illegal. Therefore it was null and void. The legal annexation of Texas would have required a 2/3 majority vote, where as the vote produced was a simple majority. A simple majority was simply not enough. The annexation was illegal.

I never really responded directly to your assertion, so let me do so now.

The U.S. Supreme Court, in a tariff case involving Puerto Rico:

• De Lima v. Bidwell, 182 U.S. 1 (1901)

Annexation via a joint resolution of Congress is legal. The Supreme Court wrote, "A treaty made by that power is said to be the supreme law of the land, as efficacious as an act of Congress; and, if subsequent and inconsistent with an act of Congress, repeals it. This must be granted, and also that one of the ordinary incidents of a treaty is the cession of territory, and that the territory thus acquired is acquired as absolutely as if the annexation were made, as in the case of Texas and Hawaii, by an act of Congress."

This concept is backed by fact that Texas was legally recognized as a functioning, independent country by the United States, Great Britain, France and the Netherlands.

A Joint Resolution is legal, whether done by majority or 2/3 vote. Interestingly I found two legal articles discussing this concept but they were regarding the statehood legality of Hawaii, not Texas. Hawaii's situation is considerably different from Texas, but I won't hijack the thread to go there. Additionally, the International Court of Justice has refused to rule on this question.

Irregardless, even if, for the sake of argument, the vote were illegal, Texas applied for statehood after the Civil War and, in 1870, was accepted into the United States by a 2/3 vote. By accepted standards of international law, Texas is a legal part of the United States and has no connection to Mexico.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

So much for the Texas Republic... Calfornia, NM, and AZ are partly in the same boat. Besides, history is full of those who have displacing...even, stealing from weaker neighbors.

Mexico's problems today come from sending folks across the border to fund it's ecomomy for years instead of Mexico building an economy that would keep folks working at home.

I love the Mexican people. Hard workers and good family folks... (except for some of the urban kids... thugs are thugs in any culture). Those who pay taxes and follow the rules...please stay.

Those who dont ... go home. force your country to make a way for you to be productive and earn.

~Jeff

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

The general gist of my post was a condemnation of Mafiest Destiny - one the most racist and filththy ideological doctrines to ever be delveoped by certaian American politiicians

People in the U.S. ofter view the U.S.-Mexican boarder as solid and strong, as very secure. It is not. It is very porous. People also have the naive, outmoted notion the the Rio Grande forms the border. The "border" is actuallly vast boarder region that cuts into both countries for 100 miles of more. The border is border region palallels ther Rio Grande.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember reading how they had to go back and re-draw the border because the Rio Grande shifts. 1 particular town on the US side found itself in Mexico when the river shifted.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Rapunzel, as far as Manifest Destiny. Hill is right, groups of people taking over other groups of people, and more importantly their resources, has been happening since the dawn of man. I still feel hopeful that we are evolving, and will one day live in a paradise new earth where we ...................NM.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

that got dangerously close to a tract placement

• james_woods
    james_woods

let me help you out there, bks -

I still feel hopeful that we are evolving, and will one day live in a paradise new earth where we ...................NM.

In the paradise new earth, maybe we can de-evolve and lose all those nasty Cro-Magnon tendencies - you know, like Fire, the Wheel, Metallurgy, etc. Then we can return to our true roots as happy-go-lucky vegetarian Neanderthals and keep the dinosaurs as our cavehold pets.

It shouldn't take more than about 7,000 years, according to a careful consideration of the scriptures.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I want my pet lion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit