Mexico angry at the influx of Mexicans into Mexico...

by zeroday 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I wonder if you knew that the United States had stolen more than a million [1,000,000] square miles from Mexico. Lower California; Texas; Arizona; and New Mexico were all once Mexican territory

And who did Mexico steal it from?

• donny
    donny

I thought Mexican was a nationality, not a race.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I wonder if you knew that the United States had stolen more than a million [1,000,000] square miles from Mexico. Lower California; Texas; Arizona; and New Mexico were all once Mexican territory

While I'm at it, can you explain to me please, how the United States stole Texas? Texas was an independent country for years before agreeing to be annexed by the United States.

On March 2, 1836, Texas signed its own Declaration of Indpendence, based on the United States Declaration written in 1776.

Among others, the declaration mentions the following reasons for the separation:

• The 1824 Constitution of Mexico establishing a federal republic had been usurped and changed into a centralist military dictatorship under Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna.
    • The Mexican government had invited settlers to Texas and promised them constitutional liberty and republican government, but then reneged on these guarantees.
    • Texas was in union with the Mexican state of Coahuila as Coahuila y Tejas, with the capital in distant Saltillo, and thus the affairs of Texas were decided at a great distance from the province and in the Spanish language.
    • Political rights to which the settlers had previously been accustomed, such as the right to keep and bear arms and the right to trial by jury, were denied.
    • No system of public education had been established.
    • The settlers were not allowed freedom of religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Declaration_of_Independence

You may not agree, but the revolution was fought and Texas did in fact become an independent country. Mexico, like Great Britain, may not like a colony revolting and becoming independent but it doesn't change the reality of the event.

Again I ask, please tell me how the United States stole Texas?

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Donny - Many chicanos, and many other hispano-hablantes, refer to themselevs and each other as la raza Many mexicans are mestisos.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Big Tex - The Annexation of Texas was illegal. Therefore it was null and void. The legal annexation of Texas would have required a 2/3 majority vote, where as the vote produced was a simple majority. A simple majority was simply not enough. The annexation was illegal.

The simple truth is that the U.S. invaded Mexico.At that time, the U.S. was in its full imperialist mode. It is one of the most shameful and disgustion eras in U.S. history. When Mexicans refer to the war, they call it "the Invasion."

• avishai
    avishai

Right. But once again, mexico was stolen from The Mexica, the Aztec, the Apache, the Commanche, etc.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Big Tex - The Annexation of Texas was illegal.

Realize I was talking about Texas independence first.

Texas started a revolutionary war. Santa Anna invaded Texas to put down the revolution and lost. Santa Anna signed the Treaty of Velasco which recognized Texas as an independent country. Texas became an independent country, recognized as such by every major country in 1836.

Your statement would be like Great Britain saying the existence of the United States was illegal because the United States did not follow the proper procedure for independence as did Canada in 1868. This is nonsense and downright silly.

Finally if the annexation of Texas was illegal, it means that Texas reverts back to its independent state, not the property of Mexico. Remember there was a revolution, Mexico lost when its dictator was captured and then signed a treaty recognizing Texas' independence.

The simple truth is that the U.S. invaded Mexico.At that time, the U.S. was in its full imperialist mode. It is one of the most shameful and disgustion eras in U.S. history. When Mexicans refer to the war, they call it "the Invasion."

Wait a minute. The United States never invaded, or sent troops during the Texas Revolution in 1836. Have you read any history? Did you bother to read the link I posted? The only invasion in 1836 was when Mexico invaded Texas to put down the revolution. And lost. Speaking of invasion, how about the Mexican invasion of the independent country of Texas in 1842? Mexico invaded and occupied San Antonio before withdrawing with prisoners. Shameful.

Now if you want to talk about Manifest Destiny, then yeah I'll agree with you. Yeah in the 19th century the United States was absolutely determined to take as much territory as they could. But that did not happen in 1836. I asked you a specific question about Texas, not the Mexican-American War in 1846.

But I notice you did not answer my question -- who did Mexico steal from? You say the U.S. was shameful, and I will not argue, but isn't Mexico guilty of the same thing? Didn't Mexico, through Spain, inherit/steal land from someone else? Isn't the treatment of the indigenous people in what is now Mexico shameful?

People who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones.

• beksbks
    beksbks

How about those darn Vikings? The nerve of them stealing northern France. And don't even get me started on the Romans!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I picked up an "illegal" a few months ago to work for me.

Fascinating story. Turned out he's not "illegal" at all. I asked him about his family; he's from the Victoria area of Texas, and comes from a family of "well, lets see, I have 7 sisters, and 6 brothers...". Seeing my shock, he continued "there were 18 children in my family" (some have died).

I perceived that his last name, Carbajal, was more Spanish than Mexican. I assumed that his family came into Texas from Mexico; I asked when? "No, they came directly from Spain, in 1730". Now that's a native Texan.

An ancestor of his is a part of the Texas/Mexico history books, was a governor of a Mexican state, lost an arm fighting Santa Anna, and was run out of Texas after the Alamo for having held supplies back at Goliad instead of taking them to the Alamo. The families land was subsequently stolen (would have been much more than the King ranch) and was subject of a several hundred million dollar lawsuit in the 80's (dropped - I think the jurisdiction? thing made it impossible, at any rate, they couldn't take it to the supreme court level for lack of money to continue fighting).

• Satanus
    Satanus

Then there was the aztecs, coming down from the north. They stole mexico from the mayans. They mayans holed up in the yucatan.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit