Have you Made Closer Friends on JWD than you had as a Witness ?

by flipper 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I have a good friend who occasionally posts here. I didn't have any friends as a JW.

W

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In a word? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I have met a large handful of them - talked to many more on the phone, and exchanged emails, Christmas cards, etc. Distance is a problem - I am in the middle of raising my three grandkids, and just can't make it away from my local area too often. Besides the responsibilities, there is the issue of money - three little kids can help you spend all you can get! LOL

I knew that I had been defrauded by the WTS a few months before I discovered JWD. The people on this site have been helpful in the process of deprogramming and healing. Anyone who claims to make a distinction [and I don't know who did, but have seen the references] between a 'discussion forum' and 'support group' and suppose that the two don't intertwine in this case - well, that person is pretty shallow and unclear on the human condition perhaps. For this forum is like a healing balm to many, and it has been to me.

I have stated in the past - and though it is, of course, not universally true - that the True Brotherhood never was in the religion that we shared. The True Brotherhood is found in places [like this], where those who have been victimized by a cultish religion can come to morph into survivors and learn to live.

Through the time I have spent here, my personal Tao has come into focus. I have lost [mostly I hope] those prejudices and fears of those who think or act differently than I do. I have become accepting of differences as a positive. As I have navigated the river of life, I have begun to realise that I cannot be molded, I am unique. The cookie-cutter has been smashed. I love that truth in my case. Many here have held the anvil as I swung the hammer.

Flipper - thanx for starting this thread. I hope someday to further my friendship with you and yours in person. Until then - I raise a glass to all those I have come to know and love here.

*clink*

" It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." - Anais Nin

Jeff

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    QUIETLY LEAVING- No " tight " friendships ?

FREE 2 THINK- Scottish aren't tight ? This sounds like an inside joke between you and Quietly ! Funny, clue me in?? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

The Sottish are great and have lots of fun. I really like the way Jeff puts it

Flipper - thanx for starting this thread. I hope someday to further my friendship with you and yours in person. Until then - I raise a glass to all those I have come to know and love here.

*clink*

" It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." - Confucius

(sorry if I'm being bad - feel like laughing tonight).

• JK666
    JK666

Flip,

I have made many close friends on JWD. I think that it all depends on how much effort you put into it, and how much of yourself you risk exposing about yourself to others. Honesty breeds solid friendships. With a dose of humility.

I have made many close friends on this board that support me in good times and bad. I will do my all to return the favor when needed, or not needed.

Those of you who are my close friends know who you are. And Flip, you know you are my twin brother from a different mother.

See you tomorrow night!

JK

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

yep really close friendships ;-) if u know what i mean

No, but that doesn't mean I don't like you all. It's just that I was born and raised in the Watchtower cult, and was wise enough to develop and maintain "worldly" friendships that I still have today. Many of those friendships are 30 + years in duration. They are very special friends that I'm lucky to have.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The only real friend I made left the org. We have that in common.

Other than that, yes, JWs who tend to stay in and be loyal never seemed to gravitate to me and I didn't to them, either. I liked the independent ones who ended up leaving.

• flipper
    flipper

FINALLY FREE- I'm glad you have a friend who posts here. I too didn't have very many close friends as a JW. Maybe 3 over a period of 30 years - but I want to tell you, I like your posts . You bring a great , dry sense of humor and realism to this board. And your bird is great !

AK JEFF- Very good post . I agree with you that this is both a support board for many and a discussion forum for some. And for some of us- it is both! I too have made great friends here as well, some you know personally in your area, guys I talk to on the phone often. The guys you go to lunch with occasionally ! Great friends we share ! I agree that moving forward and never stopping is the way to progress. I look forward to talking to you to sometime. I'll PM you my number tonight .

QUIETLY LEAVING- The Scottish have fun ? Great ! Come to Tahoe with us !! LOL!

JK- Yeah, I agree my bro, being honest in friendships means exposing ourselves emotionally that is, (thought I'd clarify that ) and being willing to go through the good times and bad times with people to be a true friend. We are twin sons of different mothers- feel a really close friendship with you as well ! You are a super cool friend. Look forward to seeing you in Reno tomorrow night ! Have a safe trip !

WAC- Glad you have developed really close friends as well ! You are one cool cat !

144001- I'm glad you kept some good close friends who are non-witnesses over the years - I'm sure it has helped you to move on in life !

WHITE DOVE- I too liked the independent ones who ended up leaving the organization ! Or at least the ones who spoke their mind about things ! Glad you are here sis ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Have made some good friends we are seeing this weekend at South Lake Tahoe ! Right on ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• PEC
    PEC

I never had any friends as a dub, I never fit in, something to do with thinking for myself.

Philip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit