"Sprouting" ... Does anyone here do this?

by RubaDub 26 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Is it true that Lupus patients should not eat sprouts? anybody confirm or deny? Heard this years ago so it may not even be an issue anymore.

• amicus
    amicus

Great topic.

I'm not currently growing sprouts as most of the food growing in my suburban back yard gets tossed into the compost pile during the summer months. The summer output far exceeds my demands.

In the winter months sprouting provides a fast easy way of providing "fresh, nutritious" food. Any seed that will grow in soil can be sprouted.

Grains, legumes and vegetables are all fair game.

Basically it's like starting seeds for a garden, but you use mason jars and water rather than pots, soil and water. Keep the seeds moist but not saturated until they sprout. I first used plastic lids manufactured just for this. Now any non- toxic screen that can be secured over the top of a mason jar is fair game. I haven't tried old nylon hose..but I bet they would work.

Radish sprouts added to a salad are killer!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Radish sprouts and a fresh tomato out of the garden on whole grain bread is fantastic..

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

RubaDub - thanks for posting this thread.

I went and bought some beans/seeds today after checking the Internet for suggestions. I'm trying Mung beans first.

We have a natural food store here that had a few different kinds. They didn't have radish, broccoli or sunflower seeds - will have to try to find them somewhere else.

• ibme
    ibme

Thanks RubaDub for starting the post.

Momzcrazyd OR should me saying thanks Momzcrazy's children.

The way me does it with mulch substances is very (((messy))).

The cotton idea is very helpful. Will try it tomorrow.

Again thank your children for the idea.

ibme

• BFD
    BFD

This place amazes me.

marking for later.

• amicus
    amicus
    They didn't have - broccoli -seeds .

I think broccoli is a "flower". It might be pricey to sprout broccoli seeds unless you grew and harvested them yourselves. Broccoli would go to seed after the normal harvesting time for the "vegetable" broccoli that we know.

• StAnn
    StAnn
    I'm not currently growing sprouts as most of the food growing in my suburban back yard gets tossed into the compost pile during the summer months. The summer output far exceeds my demands.

Amicus, I'm hyperventilating here. Why put it in the recycling bin? Why not donate it to your local soup kitchen? They could definitely use it. Around here, everybody gives their overflow of veggies to the food pantries.

I joke that I live on zucchini welfare in the summer, when everybody else's zucchini's grow big as baseball bats and they can't give them away before new ones sprout up. I don't bother planting zucchini because I know I'll be given so many. Grow spaghetti squash though, it's my favorite squash.

StAnn

• tinker
    tinker

Oooo, I'm a spaghetti squash fan too. I grew it last year and still have a couple, good keepers. I have sprouted seeds, yummy, my kids loved them on sandwich's. I kind of forgot about them, thanks for the reminder. I have also been making my own yogurt....talk about a money saver. I was spending .89 for ea little cup. Now I make a qt for $1.99. And no preservatives, no sugar, all fresh and natural.

• amicus
    amicus
    Amicus, I'm hyperventilating here. Why put it in the recycling bin? Why not donate it to your local soup kitchen? They could definitely use it. Around here, everybody gives their overflow of veggies to the food pantries.

I know, it's sick. I can't give it away locally, most of my middleclass neighbors don't eat like I do. They "shop" at the local supermarket.

The food kitchens are 20+ miles away. I could possibly harvest and store in my refrigerator enough vegetables to make the 40 mile round trip worthwhile...but I'm not sure. We're in the...I forget the word, bleh. We're globally directly opposite from the "Promised Land". So, recall all the adjectives we've heard about the land of milk and honey, and they apply here. Sadly most folks grow "lawns" rather than food. I decided years ago that I'd mowed enough lawns for one lifetime so instead I grow food (and use less water). The olive trees that shade my house? Not harvested. Most of the fruit off my trees I have to rake up and compost. Grapes this year? I've not seen a better harvest. Most will be composted. I'm talking 100's of pounds. Mostly Thompson Seedless, but some red varieties. It's quite bizarre really. I spent about an hour harvesting ripe, not quasi ripe, blackberries this morning with my neighbor in his yard...we got 8 baskets. But I can only eat so much. The birds will get the remaining 100 baskets. Most American's have forgotten that they can actually grow food rather than shop for it, and they are begining to forget that one can make a meal out of something more complex than a can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli.

Wolves used to kill mice for food, now dogs eat bagged dog food. Fifty years ago my neighbors would have been found on small family farms living what was close to a self sufficient lifestyle, now they graze at the local supermarket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit