"Sprouting" ... Does anyone here do this?

by RubaDub 26 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

This place amazes me.

marking for later.

It amazes me, too, BFD.

I LOVE it!

Sylvia

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

My beans I started yesterday afternoon have already started sprouting. Should be able to taste them in a couple of days.

Here's a website to buy seeds if you can't find what you want locally.

3 Part Salad Sprouting Seed Mix - Certified Organic Sprouting Seed: Radish, Broccoli, Alfalfa. There is also a list of seeds you can order separately.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/3_part_salad_mix.htm

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We have been doing our own sprouts for years.

The company I work for makes lids with a built in sieve for a local organic seed company who onsells them to the local market.

I have never bothered to to try one, as we just use a bit of old pantyhose which is just as good.

Cheers
    Chris

• jimbo
    jimbo

Does anyone remember an article in Awake mag about a family that lived for a whole wear on sprouts?

Their food expense was nil and they were all all healthy. It was one of the few believable articles that I remember. I have tried sprouting and need to get back to it.

Essene bread from sprouted red wheat is great. It tastes more like cake than bread. The only ingrdeint is sprouted grain and maybe raisins for a treat.

jimbo

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I went and bought some beans/seeds today after checking the Internet for suggestions. I'm trying Mung beans first.

MeneMene ...

I hope things go well with your first batch.

Just a word of caution about mung beans. It's one of the more challenging sprouts to grow if you want them to look like the long white bean sprouts you buy in the Asian section of your store.

First, keep them out of direct light. The darker the better since light will begin to turn them green, which would be their natural color. They still need good airflow so don't try it in a closed area like a kitchen cabnet or anthing like that. In my case, I just take some dark paper and wrap it around the outside of the growing container and leave it in the back corner of the kitchen.

Second, for the nice thick sprouts, they need to be grown under pressure. I grow mine in a Easy Sprout plastic container and put a couple bricks on top of it to keep up the pressure (keeping the air vents open of course). It sounds crazy at first, but they are very "strong" and will push the lid off virtually any container unless it is strongly secured. It's this pressure that makes them thick and plump. If when rincing the sprouts you open the lid or let them expand, you will never get them back into the container.

Third, don't be discouraged if the mung beans don't look exactly like the ones in the stores. Like i said, they are one of the trickiest to grow. The ones you buy are grown under very controlled conditions to have the best appearance. In fact, in Japan it is considered an art to grow these sprouts and high recognition is given to the masters, just like to brewmasters making beer.

Anyway, they will taste good. Enjoy!

Rub a Dub

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Thanks for the tips. I had put them in the large cabinet below the sink. Took them out & put them on the counter & with a cloth over them.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

MeneMene ...

Let us know how the first batch turns out.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit