"Sprouting" ... Does anyone here do this?

by RubaDub 26 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I didn't want to hijack the "how to save money" thread, but just wondered if anyone else here does his/her own sprouting (making sprouts from beans or seeds).

If you buy sprouts in the supermarket, they can very expensive, expecially if you like to mix 2 or 3 types within a salad. Additionally, if you don't have easy access to an Asian market, the long white bean sprouts can be expensive. Locally here in Miami, we pay about $2 for just a 12 ounce package.

I started sprouting my own things several years ago, not so much to save money, but more to have a fresh supply of sprouts and not have to go to the store as often. What I didn't realize is that it saves a LOT of money.

Seeds or beans are pennies on the dollar compared to store-bought ones. For example, if I buy a pound of mung beans to make bean sprouts (the long white ones), I pay about a dollar a pound for the beans. I normally use about 4 ounces of beans in a quart container. It yields about a pound of sprouts for roughly 25 cents. And they are fresh !

Seeds for salad sprouts like alphalfa and broccoli cost more, but are still a fraction of what you pay for the ones in the store. For one package of sprouts in the store, you can buy a pound of seeds and have sprouts coming out the wazoo for weeks. Plus, you can mix and match sprouts in the growing containers to make your own tasty combinations.

The equipment is cheap (you can use an old mayonaisse jar or two to start). Depending on the sprout type, some require no rincing while others like mung beans need to be rinced every day. Then, you will begin having sprouts in 1 to 5 days. That's it.

Just wondering if others have tried this.

Rub a Dub

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like alfalfa sprouts, but I haven't a clue as to how to grow them.

Any suggestions?

Sylvia

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Dixie cups, cotton balls and seeds. There you go!

Nothing better in salads and sandwiches than fresh sprouts.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    Dixie cups, cotton balls and seeds

Huh??? Exactly how does that work?

I don't have a green thumb at all, my is more like a black thumb. I kill everything!!! LOL

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My kids did it in kindergarten. Little tiny dixie cups, stuff the cotton inside, sprinkle the seeds on top and water. Cut off the sprouts like you are trimming hair.

Used to do a HUGE garden in Utah, but here in TN the bugs and weeds got the better of me. You have to beg things to grow in UT, NOT here. Everything grows good, even the weeds!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I like alfalfa sprouts, but I haven't a clue as to how to grow them.

Any suggestions?

Snowbird ...

Just type "growing alfalfa sprouts" into Google and you will get a lot of information about growing them. The link below was the first on the list. Some places make it sound more complicated than others. Basically, you are soaking the seeds, draining them, letting them sprout while rincing once or so a day. You'll have sprouts in 2 to 3 days. That's it.

I started with one of the sprouter kits, somthing called EasySprout which is little more than a couple of quart-sized plastic containers with holes punched in the lid to all drainage. Once slides into the other to allow some airspace on the top and bottom. If I knew it was that simple, I could have saved the 15 bucks but in the long run it was worth it since I have made 100's of dollars worth of sprouts in it over the past couple years. since then.

The only thing I would recommend is be careful with the initial soaking time. If you undersoak they won't sprout well and if you oversoak you will end up with a pile of mush (instead of the normal 6 to 8 hours, I once forgot and soaked them an extra day ... not a good idea ... lol).

Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.backyardnature.net/simple/alf-spr.htm

Rub a Dub

• snowbird
    snowbird

Snowbird ...

Just type "growing alfalfa sprouts" into Google and you will get a lot of information about growing them.

Well, duh! You can tell I'm not www literate, can't you?

Thanks so much for that link. I will try to grow some.

Sylvia

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've enjoyed making my own sprouts. One website that I found very helpful was:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/grow/sprouting.html

I've sprouted alfalfa, radishes, mustard, wheat, rye, mung beans and lentils. All excellent! The nutritional value of edible seeds skyrocket when they are sprouted. I also endorse the EasySprout product. I've used other methods, but EasySprout is the neatest and most effective of any I've seen.

In fact, when I discovered flour-free sprouted grain bread a couple of years ago, I immediately switched. The only "regular" bread I use now is sour rye and an occasional couple of loaves I make myself.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    In fact, when I discovered flour-free sprouted grain bread a couple of years ago, I immediately switched.

Ah, the power of Google! I typed flour-free sprouted grain bread into the Search bar, and was given a plethora of links. One that I looked at was Ezekiel 4:9 Breads.

It was stated that these breads have the real thing - amino acids - that other breads are lacking, especially those made from refined, enriched flour. The claim is made that they are made from the six grains that Ezekiel was told to combine and bake and eat for the duration of his lying on his side in protest against Israel's sins.

From The Message Bible:

Ezekiel 4: 9 "Next I want you to take wheat and barley,beans and lentils, dried millet and spelt, and mix them in a bowl to make a flat bread. This is your food ration for the 390 days you lie on your side.

He would certainly need a lot of stamina to carry out that task, wouldn't he?

Sylvia

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Mr. Nates ...

Yes, the nutritional content of the sprouts is exponential conpared to plain seeds.

I don't know the scientific reasons behind it but sprouts are great.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit