Breaking News - Ramblings of the Governing Body

by Edward Elder 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I heard the same bull at our CA.

another speaker also made the stupid story of the train about to derail, and the maintence man making the decision to save the train over his own child

• blondie
    blondie

I remember that illustration. All I could think that the elders never had 1/2 hour to make a shepherding call, visit people in the hospital, make a phone call so I had no confidence that they would risk their lives for me.

http://www.wingclips.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16253

http://elbourne.org/sermons/index.mv?illustration+4645

The WTS "borrowed" this from non-jws.

Christ, Suffered and Died, Salvation, The Gift of God: The Bridge

There was once a bridge which spanned a large river. During most of the day the bridge sat with its length running up and down the river paralleled with the banks, allowing ships to pass thru freely on both sides of the bridge. But at certain times each day, a train would come along and the bridge would be turned sideways across the river, allowing a train to cross it.

A switchman sat in a small shack on one side of the river where he operated the controls to turn the bridge and lock it into place as the train crossed. One evening as the switchman was waiting for the last train of the day to come, he looked off into the distance thru the dimming twilight and caught sight of the trainlights. He stepped to the control and waited until the train was within a prescribed distance when he was to turn the bridge. He turned the bridge into position, but, to his horror, he found the locking control did not work. If the bridge was not securely in position it would wobble back and forth at the ends when the train came onto it, causing the train to jump the track and go crashing into the river. This would be a passenger train with many people aboard.

He left the bridge turned across the river, and hurried across the bridge to the other side of the river where there was a lever switch he could hold to operate the lock manually. He would have to hold the lever back firmly as the train crossed. He could hear the rumble of the train now, and he took hold of the lever and leaned backward to apply his weight to it, locking the bridge. He kept applying the pressure to keep the mechanism locked. Many lives depended on this man's strength.

Then, coming across the bridge from the direction of his control shack, he heard a sound that made his blood run cold. "Daddy, where are you?" His four-year-old son was crossing the bridge to look for him. His first impulse was to cry out to the child, "Run! Run!" But the train was too close; the tiny legs would never make it across the bridge in time. The man almost left his lever to run and snatch up his son and carry him to safety. But he realized that he could not get back to the lever. Either the people on the train or his little son must die.

He took a moment to make his decision. The train sped safely and swiftly on its way, and no one aboard was even aware of the tiny broken body thrown mercilessly into the river by the onrushing train. Nor were they aware of the pitiful figure of the sobbing man, still clinging tightly to the locking lever long after the train had passed. They did not see him walking home more slowly than he had ever walked: to tell his wife how their son had brutally died.

Now if you comprehend the emotions which went this man's heart, you can begin to understand the feelings of our Father in Heaven when He sacrificed His Son to bridge the gap between us and eternal life. Can there be any wonder that He caused the earth to tremble and the skies to darken when His Son died? How does He feel when we speed along thru life without giving a thought to what was done for us thru Jesus Christ?

When was the last time you thanked Him for the sacrifice of His Son?

• White Dove
    White Dove

I heard that story when my daughter was a newborn and I was devastated by the story.

Parentally speaking here, I would have saved my child.

Does that make me inhumane?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The DO Dennis Raftopolis used that train illustration all the time. Also one about a battered fiddle in the hands of a master musician and another one about the two sets of tracks on the beach - ALL of them stolen from some writers in Christendom.

For the years that Dennis was our DO, he had a problem with his voice. He used to always have me on stage with him and I read his scriptures for him to give his voice a break.

God, I was a bit of a brown noser! But I also remember all his plagirisms!

And that angels in the ministry thing is really pathetic.

S4

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I really do not give a fxxx if the angels are wondering why I am not out in field circus. Maybe they need to just do it themselves--after all, according to the washtowel, they are the ones that wanted that assignment. Of course, there would be fewer of them stopping for an hour at Starbucks and counting that time because they tipped the poor waitress with a waste of paper.

As for making Jehovah's heart rejoice, that is the LAST thing I would want to do! I want to give that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag as many slaps in the face as I can. He is for sure not maximally benevolent, and I am not about to start acting as if He was. Which means I am going to make Satan happy by not being out there.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

That really cracked me up. It was meant to be humorous wasn't it?

"They don't accept blood transfusions"

"But look how well-dressed they are and well-behaved their children are." Pure comic gold!

• minimus
    minimus

JWs are obsessed with angels.

Who says that angels take note of this or that? Where in the Bible does this gospel truth come from??

NO ONE can PROVE this bull oney. They really believe their own made up sh*t.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This sounded familiar but when I heard the garbage truck I knew I heard this before. Same story told many years ago by a C.O. when I lived in Florida in the late 70s or early 80s.

Can't these people make up something different to justify their cult??

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Thanks for making me spew tea on my keyboard!

"We knock at the fifth house, and again, no one is home. But a garbage truck passes by. The driver tells his co-worker: "There go those Witnesses again. Aren't they the ones that don't accept blood transfusions?" The driver replies: "Yeah, but I ain't so sure they gots blood in their veins. I sure find a heckuva lotta bourbon bottles in them folks garbage." The angels poke each other in the ribs and bust up laughing."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Ugh, not the train story. That is so fundamentally flawed. Whatever happened to the plan for SAFETY! At drawbridges, trains are to slow to prepare to stop unless they get a clear signal to proceed. Draw bridges are not to be entered at top speed. Beyond safety procedures, common sense dictates that the passenger train should have been ready to stop in case of equipment or human error. So, "he took hold of the lever and leaned backward to apply his weight to it, locking the bridge. He kept applying the pressure to keep the mechanism locked. Many lives depended on this man's strength." And a stone flies from speeding engine, nailing the guy in the side of the head, he falls over unconscious, everyone dies, end of story.

And who would take their four-year-old son with them to work... on the RAILROAD!!! That's both stupid and criminal. "They did not see him walking home more slowly than he had ever walked: to tell his wife how their son had brutally died." The son should have been at home with the wife all along. Yeah, and take the kids along to work on high voltage transformers and high tension powerlines with Dad. What kind of parents are these?

I understand that accidents do happen... but this is multiple layers of neglect and irresponsible behavior. Safety first... for a reason.

But, I'm sure the angels would be there to save the child, the man, the bridge, the lever, and the trainful of passengers... Oh, wait, nevermind. All the angels are off at not-at-homes waiting for the householders to get home to see when they toss the tract into the trash. Nice plan, Lett. The angels could've saved all those people and the little boy if you would have let them. Lett is the childkiller here.

How about this illustration: A man purchased a gun and bullets to protect his family and livestock from grizzly bears. After many years, no bears had entered his property. Grizzly bears were declared endangered and protected by law from being shot. Now, the man reasoned that he couldn't use the gun to protect his family from bears, so he shoots and kills his entire family and all his livestock. Don't you feel sorry for the man since the only way he could protect everything from bears was to shoot them all? And all that death and destruction is to be blamed on the laws protecting grizzly bears.

I'm sure Lett could work the dubs into a lather to go and kill all the bears.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit