announcement at service meeting

by heathen 42 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Ok well, I doubt I'll be reading 5,000 pages of court documents , apparently there was no law in place of reporting accusations to the secular authorities so families would be responsible for that, so regardless of the threat of dfing you would think the family members would do something legally of which they could have and should have done ,so they are at fault .

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I suppose u can twist anything so u can sleep at night.

You don't need to read 5,000 pages. There is something called a search feature.

There are laws in some states, your comment on this is a false statement.

Blaming it on the family is typical of an apologist.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Not one penny has ever gone for the benefit of the members.
    I know that's not true

LOL...I exaggerated; I apologize. What was in my head didn't quite make it on paper. Not unusual.

Of course, they absolutely do have relief funds, and they have done quite a bit of relief work in third world countries and disaster areas.

I was thinking mainly about the R & F in congregations have never nor will ever receive any benefit from the corporation. There is no time or monetary investment in the lives of the flock on an ongoing basis, care for the elderly, counseling for teens/couples, anything. They don't even follow the scriptural example of caring for widows and orphans. That just sends me over the top.

It is all about the money...they will make decisions to retain and survive as a corporation.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The burning question is why have stopped charging interest? They can't have freely declined the arrangement because as they have stated it covered inflation.Could it be that as a charity they can only accept donations or else they will get taxed on the profit?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Maybe we should ask Brother Scolios what he thinks?

• undercover
    undercover
    Could it be that as a charity they can only accept donations or else they will get taxed on the profit?

That's what I was wondering...

There's no way the WTS is going to give up 6% interest on anything unless it costs them more in the long run. They also don't like having to answer to any kind of authority when it comes to Caeser's things...how very unlike Christ...

• FairMind
    FairMind
    The real question is... why the new change on "forsaking" the interest? This has to be some legal battle... they would never stop this on their own.

This has been alluded to by other posters but maybe the WTS is fearful of losing their status as a non-profit organization. If this ever happens it is the beginning of their end.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think it is quite possible that, after having to settle a great number of child abuse lawsuits in order to keep under the legal radar, the Society is trying to further suppress any public knowledge of their considerable assets by not charging interest that could possibly come to the attention of public entities, like the IRS.\

And while they may give a token amount to third world countries for rehab after a disaster, I'm willing to bet that the lion's share stays in their bank accounts.

Nina

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin
    Could it be that as a charity they can only accept donations or else they will get taxed on the profit?

That's what I was wondering...

There's no way the WTS is going to give up 6% interest on anything unless it costs them more in the long run. They also don't like having to answer to any kind of authority when it comes to Caeser's things...how very unlike Christ...

No, this should not be an issue.Interest income earned by a charity is non-taxable. HOWEVER, if the interest eaned is used for a purpose not related to the charity that can become an issue.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p598.pdf

• heathen
    heathen

so which is it , did the WTBTS settle out of court or did this thing actually go to trial? I do stand by my statement of the family or legal guardian of a child not doing something to protect the child. In the catholic system the church is the legal guardian of the orphans thereby placing the guilt on the church for not protecting them .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit