announcement at service meeting

by heathen 42 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

In my nearly 60 years around the WTS I have never known of them to send relief to anyone. I know the 'brothers' went to areas hit by Katrina and rebuilt some homes & Kingdom Halls for the JWs. My relatives went down and worked. They paid their own way. I question how much $$$ the WTS actually spent on that. They were even telling people not to write on their donations that it was for Katrina. They could get in trouble for not spending the donations they received for the specific purpose it was sent.

From what I heard, those people assisted were expected to turn over their insurance money to the WTS. Someone here on JWD just recently said she was asked for the insurance money after they had worked on her home.

The workers paid their own way and then we were asked to refund the society for the materials used plus make an extra contribution. So the Soceity actually PROFITED from the work done after Katrina. I had to give my FEMA money to the Society.

We were asked before they did the work if we had the means to repay them for the supplies. They got our insurance information and our FEMA amounts. There was a form to fill out with all our financial information on it before we could get work done on our houses. I was rejected the first time because my home was part of an estate (of whom ALL owners were witnesses). My family had to argue with the Society about it before they agreed to help. They did do the work cheaper than it would have cost. So it was nice to get that break. But it was because of the PEOPLE that it was cheaper -- the WTSociety was only a leech.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The workers paid their own way and then we were asked to refund the society for the materials used plus make an extra contribution. So the Soceity actually PROFITED from the work done after Katrina. I had to give my FEMA money to the Society.

We were asked before they did the work if we had the means to repay them for the supplies. They got our insurance information and our FEMA amounts. There was a form to fill out with all our financial information on it before we could get work done on our houses. I was rejected the first time because my home was part of an estate (of whom ALL owners were witnesses). My family had to argue with the Society about it before they agreed to help. They did do the work cheaper than it would have cost. So it was nice to get that break. But it was because of the PEOPLE that it was cheaper -- the WTSociety was only a leech.

Can someone fill me in on this from the beginning? How did the WT benefit from Hurrican Katrina?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea let's get a step by step. This is almost newsworthy

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I'll bet they're doing that to keep under the IRS' radar.

As for Katrina, as with other disasters, the Society sends out a plea for monetary help. The money goes straight to Brooklyn's coffers, not to the affected people. Each congregation is supposed to be responsible for helping its members recover from the disaster, and people in the congregation donate their time, materials, food, and clothing to help their "brothers and sisters." If they put a roof on and the person receiving the roof has received a check from their insurance company to pay for it, that person is "encouraged" to "donate" that money to the Society. The poor guy putting on the roof, meanwhile, is supposed to feel noble for contributing his time and, probably, materials. So the Society gets the initial donations, probably a lot of insurance money signed over to them, and it's as usual the poor local guys who have to do all the work and bear the expense.

Nice, huh?

Nina

• MeneMene
    MeneMene
    I really don't get how the WTBTS is responsible for the child molestations that go on in the various kingdom halls

Barbara Anderson has now made her Commentary part of the CD available on the website - http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/

Please take time to read it. It's about 100 pages. The link on the website is on the left side of the screen below the picture of the CD cover. Pay particular attention to the Child Abuse Telememo. There were copies of 3 forms. The latest is a 2-page form. Read all the questions the WTS legal dept asks the elder when he calls them to report a pedofile. Make sure you don't miss that very last question on page 2 of the form.

The 5000 pages of court documents are on the CD if you want to purchase it.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

hmm, ok. A few questions here...

So the WT sends out a plea for $$ to help. Does the WT use these funds to assist? I am assuming not...otherwise why not have each local cong collect the donations and expend as they see fit.

So each cong requests donations and submits this to the WT? Then individual cong members are on their own to assist those affected?

And the person who receives assistance it encouraged to give to the WT any insurance recoup instead of the person who provided them with help?
    Is this anywhere in print?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I had something similar take place in Los Angeles after the Northridge earthquake. My house along with many others suffered a fair amount of damage. I was insured luckily for earthquake damage, but still had about 15k come out of my pocket. Others were not so lucky A group of brothers volunteered and knocked chimneys down to get rid of the yellow safety tag posted on our houses. Other than that, I don't recall a single home getting repaired from help/funds from the society. Also, our kingdom hall was repaired from it's own funds

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

so the WT requests funds to help with the crisis. But they do not actually use them to help? And each cong is expected to raise $$ to send to the WT? Then any help the cong provides is not by funds given them by the WT to help but rather out of pocket to the individuals helping?

So the cong pays twice- once for the WT? Then once for those they aid?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

seems like it but I would a step by step on the Katrina issue because it was so widespread. I think it's newsworthy as a religious entity profited during a disaster

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

hmm, yes. Input anyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit