announcement at service meeting

by heathen 42 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Somewhere on JWD a letter was recently posted from the WTB&TS asking congregations to deposit their reserve funds into the society's account without interest being earned for the congregations. I wonder if not charging interest on kh loans is a trade off. The society could make a lot more in interest on large investments than the 6% they earned on kh loans. Even so, 6% seems awfully steep in the recent real estate market. We refinanced our home loan about 3 years ago and got an interest rate in the 5% range.

• heathen
    heathen
    Not one penny has ever gone for the benefit of the members.

I know that's not true , they have the farm that grows food for the bethel people and they do send relief to the afflicted around the world and of course there's the "life saving" preaching work , be that as it may. According to them the greatest thing you can do is the preaching and conversion work. People have contributed their money for the purpose of the world wide preaching work so this business of lending money that was freely given for the purpose is very dishonest to me. At least this time the statement on the halls financial situation was in the black and there were no demands for more money as I've seen in the past .

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

It seems to always have something to do with money - and their ability to keep it - or make more of it.

Follow the money trail.

Just my .02 worth.

Regards,

Jim TX

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    I know that's not true , they have the farm that grows food for the bethel people and they

i don't think they grow anything on the farms anymore

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So.....The WBTS will not be charging interest to JW`s..On money JW`s have donated to the WBTS..Crazy Eyes..............What a glorious day!..Jehovah does provide!..Window Cleaning............................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Hi heathen - you said, "they have the farm that grows food for the bethel people and they do send relief to the afflicted around the world"

I think Dagney meant they don't provide assistance for people in crisis or in need of basics. No medical assistance, no feeding the poor, etc.

I don't think growing food for the bethel people that are working basically for free counts. They have to feed them to keep them working to produce more literature. That food along with their room, laundry services, cleaning services, medical, etc is payment for work done. Do they still have the farm? I thought I heard they had done away with most if not all of their food processing business. (I could have misunderstood that though)

In my nearly 60 years around the WTS I have never known of them to send relief to anyone. I know the 'brothers' went to areas hit by Katrina and rebuilt some homes & Kingdom Halls for the JWs. My relatives went down and worked. They paid their own way. I question how much $$$ the WTS actually spent on that. They were even telling people not to write on their donations that it was for Katrina. They could get in trouble for not spending the donations they received for the specific purpose it was sent.

From what I heard, those people assisted were expected to turn over their insurance money to the WTS. Someone here on JWD just recently said she was asked for the insurance money after they had worked on her home.

I was talking to someone not too long ago that served full time in Central America. He was very disturbed seeing the people living in such poor conditions. He expressed concern about the people's physical needs and was told they were there only to provide spiritual food (i.e., WTS literature).

In 2001 they took in about $950,000,000 according to one (secular) report. Each year on the Service Report they show what they spent in caring for special pioneers, missionaries, and traveling overseers in their field service assignments. In the 2007 report it was $121,000,000. In 2006 it was $111,000,000. In 2005 it was $104,000,000.

I truly believe if they were spending $$$ on the homeless, battered wives and children, orphans or widows they would be singing it from the rooftops. Of course we know they have spent $12 to 13 million to settle the pedofile court cases and hush up the victims.

• garybuss
    garybuss

One of the Watch Tower Conglomerate's businesses is banking. This corporation is extremely wealthy. They also own a very large insurance company division.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Not only did they pay with interest for a property that the Watchtower owned... WHERE DO YOU THINK THE WATCHTOWER GOT THE MONEY IN THE FIRST PLACE?!!! Donations from the rank and file... sooooooooo... you gave them the money, then when you asked for it back... they LOANED it to you, with interest... AND THEN THEY OWNED THE BUILDING YOU PAID FOR.

All makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

The real question is... why the new change on "forsaking" the interest? This has to be some legal battle... they would never stop this on their own. Anyone know the details? Any sleuthing? Has this already been touched on and I missed it in my quick scan of the thread?

• heathen
    heathen

I really don't get how the WTBTS is responsible for the child molestations that go on in the various kingdom halls . I don't think of it as the same situation with the catholic church where they do have orphanages and take advantage of children in them . The children had nowhere to go to seek help for fear of being left without a home and food. Is there a court transcript of the trial ? I'd like to see just how the court handled this stuff. True the people at Bethel do earn their way but the statment made was nobody ever got a penny of compensation for anything but we all know they do feed them and give them a couple of bucks a month for personals . I also hear they operate outside the WTBTS in the private sector with the construction crews or janitorial services . Personally I don't think it too much to ask to give your insurance check to the WTBTS for the repairs done by volunteers . It's really defrauding the insurance company to get over inflated prices from contractors and receive money based on those only to use volunteers and cut the labor cost to $0 .

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok this is morphing into a new discussion that's been covered quite well. There are plenty of transcripts available and Barbara Anderson put it all together on a CD. I own it and alot of people on this board do as well.

How is the WTBTS responsible? Because rather than turning the dirt bags in then covered it over allowing them to victimize again and again. They weren't responsible for the initial molestation, but they are responsible for every single one that took place for allowing the molester to stay within the ranks of the congregation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit