Do you hate elders and ex-elders?

by nvrgnbk 48 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hate is a rather strong word. I don't hate any of them - hell my uncle was an elder and he was the one that testified against me at the committee - It was sad, I was angry, but hate no.

Again we've got to realise most of them are as blind as we once were. They don't know any better.

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

Only one, but that's because he's a conniving, back-biting, greedy blowhard of a prick. Which has nothing to do with being an elder. I'd hate him anyway.

• sspo
    sspo

No.

I was one for 22 years and i have to say it was not for any glory or gains and most of the brothers i served with

were sincere with a goal of helping others any way they could. Keep in mind we were all brainwashed and enforcers of the watchtower

rules and doctrines until some of us woke up.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am glad that most of the replies denied the point of question ..I did not want to feel hated.

Do you think they all ended up being elders because they were ambitious and loved to exercise authority over others?

I did not..I was at the hall one night, fishing in the bag for my songbook while the announcements were made - and the suddenly said that Bro. BluesBrother had been appointed an elder ..Just like that, no warning, no preparatory discussion (in 1973) If they had of done I would have refused it , but it was announced. a fait accompli .. I was lumbered!

For a week, I went around in a funk feeling totally inadequate for this "responsibility and privilege"..But I settled into it and served for 24 years.

I did it and kept it up because I did believe in what I was doing , and I had no wish to "boss" the others.

I do believe that the quality of elders I see today is poor, compared to the men of stature that I knew and worked with. Too many today are 'Company men' brought up within it and have no real experience of life . The older elders of my young day had fought in WW2 and knew about life and people and interpreted Society's rules with a dollop of common sense . Not so today

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I can't say that I have any particular grudge against elders / ex elders as such.

Certainly, some were egotistical types (I recall a brother who affected a noticeable peacock-strut following his appointment), but there were also many who were not.
    Of all the ones I had dealings with, the ratio of egotists to others probably matched that of the population in general.

These days, I am most inclined to view the elders as I do JWs in general
    i.e. more as victims than anything else.

Jack.

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

thx for your post - i got to the point where i was about to be appointed an elder 15 odd yrs ago. At the time an overwhelming sense of unworthiness overtook me, realising the gravity of what i was approaching. from then on i knew that there were so many that took that step without even a blink.

sorry to say

hell mend them

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I did it and kept it up because I did believe in what I was doing , and I had no wish to "boss" the others.

Ditto.

For those of us raised in the organization, it was seen as strange for a male not to eventually serve as an MS and then an elder.

In many congregations, the only requirement to be an elder is to not have any glaring "issues" and meeting the age requirement, which varies from place to place.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I have met very nice, considerate, exceptional elders! They were very kind to me, and many others. Of course, when you fade, they want nothing to do with you - shows they're motive. And they were few and far between.

Do I hate them? No. There were some A**holes, and I don't like them - but I don't hate them. Hate is pretty destructive, and I try to eliminate it from my life at every opportunity.

Those on this board who have been sexually abused and /or had elders cover things up, well, they have every right to hate. I can only hope that one day they can heal. I don't know if it's possible for those persons to ever stop hating.

• flipper
    flipper

I don't hate elders or ex-elders as humans. But I do hate the unjust and corrupt ways that SOME elders or ex-elders abused others. And I hate that some elders or ex-elders might feel they are all knowing about everything. I think it shows a real lack of modesty and brains

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit