Do you hate elders and ex-elders?

by nvrgnbk 48 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I like practicing elders. Talking to an elder is more fun that playing ping pong . . .similar . . . but more fun.

Some of my best friends are former elders.

• White Dove
    White Dove

What an interesting question.

I think "resentment" is a better word than "hate."

I resent them stepping into my life to control it for the worse, and when I needed them, I resent them for ignoring my pleas for help that they were honorbound to give.

I don't feel any loss from not seeing them anymore for the rest of my life.

No, I don't hate them.

I resent their actions and non-actions.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Do you think they all ended up being elders because they were ambitious and loved to exercise authority over others?

Many were ambitious. Keep in mind that the organization tells them to "reach out."

I became an elder (reluctantly) because I was good at being a cult drone and doing
    what I was told to do. Elders approached me, told me how to do better, how to improve
    in my servitude, how to advance- I did it.

some became elders under great pressure

I knew one of the other reluctant elders- much more reluctant than I was. He helped
    the elderly, visited the sick, helped a brother in distress- all without seeking credit for
    doing it. We had to practically force elder upon him. He hated it, moved eventually,
    never accepted the title again. I bet he fades.

Do you really think that all of the elders enjoyed participating in judicial committees

Only a few of them with a grudge enjoyed being on certain committees. Most all of
    them hated it. As you said:

but they really believed it was Jehovah's arrangement so they did they best they could with what they knew
  • keyser soze
    keyser soze

Not at all. Manipulated and brainwashed like all the rest of us were. The majority that I knew had a sincere desire to help others,but were limited in the ways they could do it. They were simply asked to do things they weren't qualified to do, and decide on matters they had no business involving themselves in. They were pawns of the WT society, like all the rest of us. I see the ex-elders on this forum as people who offer insight they were never allowed to when they were in the org., and encourage people in ways they were never allowed to, such as education, self-expression and critical-thinking.

• White Dove
    White Dove

My grandfather is an elder. I forgot to mention that. I would love to see him again. I think X elders are fine.

I have a problem with the ones still in who are ladder climbers.

They don't have any kind of love for the flock. They are drunk off of their own power. Not all are like that, however.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I don't hate all elders.

Upon futher reflection, I guess I honestly don't really hate any elders.

I do however, have a strong dislike for the organisation that molds their minds.

And some elders are real jack-asses; I don't like jack-asses generally speaking.

Some elders are actually pretty good guys, and have good intentions, but I would say that group make up less than 15% of all elders.

In my personal experience I find that almost all ex-elders who have left the WT are quite fantastic. I am sure there are some ex-elder jerks out there though, but I haven't met any.

The Oracle

• Satanus
    Satanus

Elderberries, roasted 20 minutes @ 350 degrees are generally done.

S

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't hate them, especially not "ex-elders", but lets face it, most elders sold a pretty large chunk of their soul to become and remain an elder for more than a few months.

• parakeet
    parakeet

To quote Yeats (out of context):

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity."

From "The Second Coming."

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

my dad was one...a damn good one. i know some who are decieved, but good people. i dont hate anyone except bigots. i am prejudiced against them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit