embarrassed about having been a witness?

by purplesofa 47 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    embarrassed about having been a witness?

It's sort of like admitting to being gullible...the only positive thing is that I (we) are educated as to Cults/WT propoganda/brainwashing. I honestly believe there are no 'intelligent' JWs (as in those that attend actually believe - I appreciate some JW non-believers attend for 'other' reasons)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Not at all. Even when I was one.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

As an active witness...yeah. No matter what, it seemed like you were the odd man out.....having to explain WHY you can't particpate or partake in what seemed like EVERYTHING, except breathing.

Now, I waaaay more relaxed to be myself, and not Jesus Jr or a robot, trying put on a front that EVERYONE I came across ( Non-JW's ) is wicked and in dire need of salvation. Whooooa...who the HELL was I ? It's embarrassing looking back.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea I am. In fact I had to explain to my business partner on Friday that I used to be one because of what happened with that brother. I felt like a big dork

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I agree with those who have observed that "having been a JW makes them what they are now."
    - However, this is the very thing that bothers me!

Particularly during my formative years, I was an avid reader of everything the WTS printed.
    Not surprisingly - given the complete lack of scholarship amongst the JWs - this hardly gives a person a balanced outlook on matters
    (The term "skewed" readily comes to mind here.)

It has now been 14 years since I broke with them - and I have spent much of that time in the process of de-programming myself.
    (I actually made little headway with that; until I got back in touch with the person I was before the Watchtower Madness took hold).

So, yes, I am not proud of having once been a JW:
    - and in particular, I am extremely embarrassed about how easily I fell for it!

Jack.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    except breathing.

Pretty sure there is a JW and "worldly" way to breathe too. Not sure, but seldom does one find something you can't do by JW standards. For instance if you had a chronic congestion that impaired your speech and interfered with your ability to preach, or was just audible during meetings, a dutiful dub would have no qualms about letting you know that Jehovee requires you do something about it (starting with feeling bad about it, followed by some kind of compliance with Jehovee's directive).

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

All the time when I was one. I remember at the DCs, wearing the lapel badges. I would always take it off as soon as I left the premises. Also, the parking ticket in my windshield would come down as soon as I left the parking lot.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thank-you for all your comments,

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit