embarrassed about having been a witness?

by purplesofa 47 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Last weekend witnesses came to where I work....I work at a BarBQue Restuarant (hey it's fun!) I recognized two elders before they came in and freaked!!!!!

The Elder Obnoxious was at the register and I was sure he did not recognize me. I walked away while he was reading the menu and told the cook I could not wait on those people.

Elder Obnoxious said he needed some meat to feed 15 people and how much did they need, blah blah blah......More to story but not to subject.

Later that evening we were closing and talking about the days business........and it came up about the witnesses and me not waiting on them. There was some cracks made about JW's and the owner says

"Can you see purps a Jehovah's Witness?"

It was preposterious and inconceivable.

I said ...Well I did go to the church for a long time.

The wave of embarrassment .......and I felt ashamed for having been a witness. I was found door to door. I chose to be a witness!

As a witness I never advertised that I was a witness. I was aware of how they were percieved by non-believers.

Do you feel shame and embarrassment?

purps

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I speak freely about my status as a ex-jw. I was always imbarassed about being a jw, but I am quite proud about being an ex. It may have something to do with the fact that I was born-in. That is alwasy fodder for interesting stories.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I joined them as an adult too, and I was always embarrassed when others found out.

I'm still embarrassed about that part of my life.

W

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I speak freely about my status as a ex-jw. I was always imbarassed about being a jw, but I am quite proud about being an ex. It may have something to do with the fact that I was born-in.

I was not born-in, but was exposed to it early in life then became a JW in young
    adulthood. I did tend to not talk about being a Witness, but I openly talk about
    being a former witness.

So, NO- I am not embarassed about HAVING BEEN a witness.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I was embarrassed as a witness, and also soon after I faded, but now not at all.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm embarrassed and ashamed at how I treated others while I was a JW.

I well remember the perplexed look on the face of one of my classmates when I refused to say the prayer at one of our reunions. I explained self-righteously that as a JW I could not share in any other religious activities.

I cringe whenever I think of that. She's moved out of town, but if I ever see her, I intend to apologize profusely and beg her forgiveness

Sylvia .

• journey-on
    journey-on

You should never be embarrassed about who you are. Being a witness in the past is part of who you are today.

The force of your character should stand out proud and tall and slinking back like a scared little rabbit because

you used to be a witness is like being afraid to look someone in the eye and say "Yeah....that's who I am.....

you got a problem with that!"

• beksbks
    beksbks

When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking absolutely not, I'm just proud I left. But.........I was born in.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Anyone remember which Kingdumb Melody sounds like Queen's "Lazying On A Sunday Afternoon"?

• Lieu
    Lieu

LOL. "Born-in", sounds like a vampire movie. Some weere born vampires and some were made vampires.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit