embarrassed about having been a witness?

by purplesofa 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I should add that, I seldom use the word 'cult' when talking to people.

They usually use that word themselves after I have told them my story.

Cheers
    Chris

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Do you feel shame and embarrassment?

It was my Dark HOur.

• Ex-smoker
    Ex-smoker

Very i never told any one in school that i was a witness. In elemetary i always partook in the "parties" untill second grade when my teach who was a disfellowshiped witnes ratted me out to my parents. after that i was always in class with another witness so i couldnt take part in the parties. In middle and high school i didnt tell any one except my closest friends and that it was total bull shit. I was a closet apostate by the age of 15. I HATED being a witness

• sacolton
    sacolton

Good Lord! I'm crushed! Did Queen plagiarise from the WTBTS?????????? No, it's the other way around.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I was aware of how they were percieved by non-believers.

Exactly.

I was constantly embarrassed to be a JW when I was active, especially when in the midst of a large group of Witnesses.

The worst was the inevitable circus when too many publishers were sent to a territory.

Now I'm at ease with it, since it's in the past.

I don't bring it up often, but when I do, it always leads to some interesting conversation.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I am very emberassed. It was a very needy time of my life, and a very low one. My fish mouth was wide open for the hook. To this day, I find it inexcuseable and shameful. The hook, line and sinker was taken. It didn't take too long to figure them out (relatively).

• ninja
    ninja

my "I love Jehovah" t-shirt and my "1914 and the governing body are great" ministry bag was a bit much.....as for my "Freddy Franz ate my hamster" tattoo.....still going through laser treatment for that.....ninjy starr

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't find it so embarrassing that I was a witless. In fact, I use that as an occasion to warn worldly people that they really need to research the organization before joining. And besides, we all make stupid mistakes (especially if we do not have the research material before joining).

Most important is that we learn from these stupid mistakes. I would be even more embarrassed to be a witless again, after having learned that they were wrong. The saying "Shame on you if you fool me once; shame on me if you fool me twice" holds true in this case.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Not at all. It's not so much different from other religions. They all have those beliefs that are so magical. God is going to do this or that and save your soul, whether in a New Earth or New Heaven if you believe. It's all just a mind game. You may talk in tongues, feel some spirit or guidance, it just depends which brand of religion you chose as to the effects.

In each religion you are just trying to please some master spirit that had a book written by some ancient man who knew him better than you do. With the JWs those men are living in Brooklyn now and can tell you God's will for his servants, but if you asked one personally they wouldn't admit that.

Religion is a snare and a rachet, at least one of those men said it was.

Ken P.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nicely put, Ken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit