Do you exercise or isn't that your thing.

by LouBelle 43 Replies latest jw friends

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

I've found biking and weight lifting to complement each other well. Running was getting hard on my joints so I switched to biking. With biking, a 2-3 hr ride is possible with my heart rate 'in the zone' the entire time. I'm shooting for a 20 lb drop as well. 10 down, 10 to go.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was quite the gym rat until about 4 years ago. Now I'm just an amoeba. So now I just exercise my thing

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Exercise is not my thing, but I've been doing it for the last 10 weeks or so.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I've always been fat. Notice that I didn't say "big" or "overweight". If I were skinny, I'd still be "big", just not fat! When I was younger I used to work out and my job was physically demanding, but I was still fat. I even set a county record for the leg press and squats when I was in high school. I've never been able to lose the weight. Granted, when I was more physically active, I felt better and I had more stamina. When time permits, I still do a couple of miles on the treadmill at the gym or go hiking with the wife-type-unit on the weekends, but that's about it. Now most of my exercise consists of yardwork twice a week and general crap I clean, paint, repair, etc. around the house. I wish I had more time to take better care of myself. I'm up at 5:30 AM and I get home from work no earlier than 6:00 PM. Between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM, I'm usually engaged in some household task like cooking, cleaning, child-rearing, etc. I'm in bed by 10:00 PM so I can get up and do it all over again. If I can find a way to exercise in my sleep, I'd really be on to something!

• shamus100
    shamus100

I have been active for about 17 years now, with some off time for injuries, etc.

If you're into cardio, there is a good way to train. More is not always better! By keeping your heart rate in certain zones during certain weeks (to avoid plateauing), you can get a lot more bang for your buck by doing a lot less. I do cardio 4X per week - which consists of a run lasting no more than 30 minutes in that heart rate zone. On the off days, I "speed walk" 2 hours. Now certain weeks I go seven days a week, others only once or twice, just so I don't get that overtraining syndrome. (had it in the past) Gyms SUCK, so I try to keep out of them, unless its winter time.

I've also cut all sugar out of my diet. If I crave sweets, I have fruit. That is what really dropped the weight off me.

Keep up the good work everyone!

• RavenManiac
    RavenManiac

Keep up the good work. I love to walk. I need to exercise more but don't. I also love tending my flower beds.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Terry,

It may not be good for you but it sure is good for others. I love walking on the treadmill and watching TV at the Y. I get sunshine through the all window wall and it passes the time much faster than a stupid never ending walk around the mall, which I've done ad nauseum. It got so boring without any one around to walk with. The pool exercises are great, too. I really feel worked out while doing them. It's pushing against water instead of pushing against the shower wall. Similar workout there. I've done it, so I know. The treadmill is more enjoyable for me because it's in a gym with others with the same goal of getting into shape.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I have exercised with free weights for years, generally every other day. Lately I've added a stationary bike to the mix. I recommend exercise to anyone who feels depressed. Get those endorphins flowing!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

actually my original plan was to lose weight. When the ex left, I went to the gym to burn anger so I wouldn't kill anyone. Maybe I need some anger

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Dear Lou!!! Thank you my friend for mentioning me in you post - I am so touched!

As I said in my Weight Watchers thread, exercise is not really my thing, although I am embarrased to admit that considering the responses on this thread but I do need to get out there and do something to keep up the momentum!

Thanks for the encouragement hon!

Love

PDB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit