Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

gymbob,

no, that was a guy from Canada branch I believe (or South Africa?) that was there to learn for a long time. I forget, Cab Wood know.

He followed us around everywhere :-))

• wschroeder
    wschroeder

Sorry for posting this twice... I tried to clean up the photo a little. Now some names to go with the faces.

Left To Right

• CONGAS: (back seated) Willy Walker
    • KEYBOARDS: (standing hands folded) Allen Galena
    • TRUMPET: (kneeling front) Carl Johnson
    • GUITAR: (front) Earl Hagy
    • DRUMS: (back far right) Richard Chambers
    • BASS: (back center) Warren Schroeder

• cathyk
    cathyk

By the way, just to show you how utterly tacky I dressed, You see me in the gold suit in the center, which was my main and probably only suit for 2 years, starting with pioneering in San Luis Obispo in 1974 to around 1976 at Bethel.

RIP dear jacket, whereever you are!

Never mind the jacket -- look at those ties! But yeah, what were they thinking in the '70s? Especially those plaids.

Cathy

oldlighthousebooks.blogspot.com

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I think all the key Bethel players should each write a chapter on their experiences and have it printed in a book for all to see what really goes on at the Bethel home.

Ray Franz let us know the workings of the Governing Body in his book CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE and now the workings of Bethel could be advertised. Remember, Advertise, Advertise, Advertise!

But we need some imput on what the book could be titled. Do you the reader have any suggestions?

Maybe something like, HOUSE OF GOD SHOULD BE FORCLOSED ON! (???)

Outaservice

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    Do you the reader have any suggestions?

- How Our Lives Went Psycho
    - In Celebration of a Really Bad Letdown
    - Mum Let Us Play Music in a Brothel, but Please Don't Tell Her We Were Seduced by Bethel
    - New Boys are from Venus, Bethel Mars Them to Hell
    - 1001 Uses for a Wasted Life
    - Quitting the Comedy and Getting On with Our Lives
    - Revenge of the Formerly Gullible
    - So Long Dear Bethel, and Thanks for the Rude Awakening
    - Spiritual Advancement Goes Boink!
    - The ABC's of Butt Kissing to the Top and Down Again
    - New Bethelites Are Soft as Putty - Too Bad as Elders Silly Putty Often Turns Hard as Stone- The Mafia, Bethel and Other Secret Pastimes
    - The Mysterious Disappearance of Christian Innocence
    - We Were Dead for So Long, and Now Life is O So Good!

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

TMarkJohnson-BethelTour1978.jpg Bethel Tour 1978 image by Eliveleth

This is only part of our group. Mark Johnson, the blond guy in the middle, was our Bethel tour guide and

we took him out to dinner at Mama Leoni's. I think this picture was taken somewhere on the streets of NY.

Apparently that part of NY was a "red light" district at the time. I know we really got an eye and earful that

night. Gays, prostitutes, fights, drunks in the gutter, you name it. I know I was scared and praying to Jehovah. hee hee

We took a trip to several cities and Puerto Rico (where Fred and Ray were doing a Convention) in 1978 and

took a tour through Bethel while we were there in NY. We had three days in New York and Fred arranged for us to

stay at a motel in New Jersey called "Liberty Motel". We found out why it was called that after a day there.

Our teenage boys took in the sights from our second story balcony and watched the "comings and goings" of

prostitutes and their Johns. We got back late from our Bethel tour and had to walk a long way from the bus, one

of the little girls had to go to the bathroom really bad and rushed back to the motel only to find we were locked out.

We had not paid our bill for that day yet. We had to wake up the manager and get it settled. It was a "pay by the day

or "hour" kind of motel which we were not yet aware of. We ribbed Fred about his choice of accomodations for us for years.

The first day there we took the Port Authority bus. I think we must have walked at least two miles from the motel to the bus. We caused

quite a bit of notice, since there were 13 of us walking down the sidewalk.(Hard to not notice hee hee) and one NJ man asked us what we

were doing in NJ and we said "we are from California on vacation". He said: "Geez, you came here from CA on a vacation?" Shows how

crazy JWs actually are.

Randy, you are saying what a problem the presses were, well our tour guide, Mark Johnson, told us what cutting edge

they were and how smoothly and seamlessly they ran. I guess he was their PR man. hee hee The public never hears

about or sees the probems.

I like the idea of a book. I don't have much of an imagination, but what about "Stop The Presses, Armageddon is Near".

Love you guys,

Velta

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Velta sez,

Randy, you are saying what a problem the presses were, well our tour guide, Mark Johnson, told us what cutting edge

they were and how smoothly and seamlessly they ran. I guess he was their PR man. hee hee The public never hears

about or sees the probems.

Bethel tour guides don't really know much. Like asking a clerk in Wal-Mart for help only the JWs are on spiritual crack so are over-enthusiastic. :-))

Most of the pressroom ran fine, thank you!

We were the R&D section, where all the bad ideas came out to embarrass their owners.

CASE IN POINT:

+ and -

- or The Case of the Overlooked Nuclear Equation Sitting In The Locker Room -

I hope Cal isn't reading this. Stay a JW, Cal. Trust me, you don't want to read this! :-))

Why do I do such bad things? God help me!

http://freeminds.org/bethel/toons/convert1.htm

the
    Pressroom Conversion
    Enigma (part I)

It all started when a busload of Japanese businessmen blitzed Bethel in the late 70's and took pictures of everything imaginable that could possibly be redesigned or improved. We knew it was a bad omen. We were "sitting ducks" for such schemes, being isolated from the current printing technology of the world around us. We had the truth, THEY didn't.

The players in this drama are as follows:

Calvin Chyke and Richard Wheelock(factory committee) (Colonel Klink and Sargeant Shultz, for you "Hogan's Heros" fans)

Tom "Cab" Cabeen, Jim "Peach" Petrie and Randy "Watt" Watters(pressroom overseers) (angels, of course!)

Milan Miller, Harry Johnson and Cal Cruder (press installer and his mechanics) (Dogbert w/spectacles, Jay Leno pussy-whipped and the Lone Ranger)

younger publisher:Boy, Cal, with all that time you spent at Bethel, you must have done a lot to advance Kingdom interests in the pressroom...Cal:I remember the nyloprint... (crank the reels up!)
    [Nyloprint was a plate material made of plastic that appeared a promising alternative to the expensive route of converting to offset. Believe me, we tried everything first!]

Cal:All of our printing looked like CRAP! I figured out the REAL solution...[It was opposing atomic charges between the plates and God knows what else.
    Naturally, we mocked him behind his back!]

Cal: But then there were these unbelievers...Harry: ...And I thought it was the bearers! (printing cylinder end-bearers)Cal:But Milan, surely any atomic physicist can fix it!Milan:I'm TOO BUSY! Besides, it's static electricity, not "plus" or "minus"!

Milan: We need to record the minutes of this meeting.
    Cal:Minutes! We can't count just minutes!
    Milan:How come?
    Cal:This represents half of my life in research and lab tests and consultation and...
    Harry:But we must check the bearers!

[Later, after actually VISITING other printing facilities and asking questions, we discovered that (duh!) we were just asking too much of an old technology, and we needed to get offset presses!]

Cal:Here I am the only one who worries about a moronic problem that no one could possibly give a damn about! Then, after 24 minutes, they solve the problem in a couple of seconds, and they all get together at the end and chuckle at me!!
    Harry: But why insist on having such dumb premises anyway?
    Cal:I will no longer throw my pearls before swine!

[Cal is deflated and he and Edda decide to leave Bethel and start a new life.]
    Harry:I hope this gets you home okay, Cal.
    Cal:I'm sure it will, Harry.
    Harry:I just hope it's able to tow the other two vehicles behind!
    [other press mechanics left, too!]

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

well of course there was a PART II so:

the
    Pressroom Conversion
    Enigma (part II)

The players in this drama are as follows:

Calvin Chyke and Richard Wheelock(factory committee) (Colonel Klink and Sargeant Shultz, for you "Hogan's Heros" fans)

Tom "Cab" Cabeen, Jim "Peach" Petrie and Randy "Watt" Watters(pressroom overseers) (angels, of course!)

Calvin Chyke, Max Larson and Richard Wheelock (factory committee on the 8th floor, above Pressroom)(won't touch that one) and Ralph Lindem (purchasing overseer) and special guest star Dean Songer (former NASA "genius")

Scenario: Bethel decides to go modern with four-color artwork in their publications, though the rest of the world has been doing it for ages. Problem is, they have millions invested in huge M.A.N. presses that print with outdated lead plates and in one or two colors!

Solution? TKS, a Japanese company, invades Bethel and says they can convert them all to offset, for a mere $1 million per press. Figure $60 million for 60 presses (includes Watchtower Farm and one or two other branches.)

Alternate Solution: Buy new Harris offset presses and sell the M.A.N. presses for much better quality and cheaper, too.

Factory Committee's solution: "We can't just throw away these giant presses!"

Dean Songer:Look! We've got all these M.A.N. folders and we can't just throw them away! It would cost $60 million to buy new presses!

Ralph Lindem:You had better figure freight, too...

Calvin Chyke:We've got to convert! It's our only hope: Get TKS on the phone, Ralph--get a bid on 120 offset units...

Ralph:But Cal, don't you realize that Cabeen says we can do it all for less than 5 million [early projections]?

Chyke:What does this mean?[duh!]

Ralph:It means that we can do our work cheaper, and with offset quality!

Chyke:Well, even so, the dryers are too expensive--we'd have to buy 500 Tec-Turns [steel rollers that redirect the web to new locations]...

Ralph:You could run the webs up here [8th floor, with all the "hot air," where Chyke and Wheelock worked]!

Chyke:Then we wouldn't have any way to cool them... HEY! Was that a rip at me??

(Wheels lamenting his bruised ego): How in the world did Cabeen come up with just $8 million for conversion to offset?

Chyke with groupies:NOW LOOK. We've got a first class print operation, and we don't want no new equipment.

Tom Combs (Job Press Overseer): But sir! Reason dictates that we've at least got to improve our printing of the handbills!

Chyke:You call that printing? Why you $#%&* goldbrick, you don't know the first thing about printing!

Combs:What do you mean? I'm the overseer of Job Press!

Chyke: You poor kid! You HAVE been through Hell!

Now Wheels, Cabeen's overseer, doesn't want this money-saving project to go to Cabeen's head...

Wheels: AND WE'RE NOT GOING OFFSET, CABEEN, SO GET THIS OUT OF YOUR HEAD!

It was, after all, a pie in the face of the factory committee...

So the conversion to offset was finally accepted, saving them $48 million. The "Harris project" was Cabeen's baby. From that point forward, we spent the rest of our days at Bethel talking about the "Great Apostasy"!

Wheels attempted to carefully shroud any factory committee projects from Cabeen from thenceforth, and often gave him a job order along with the cryptic statement...

Wheels:Now, DON'T try to guess what this is for, Cabeen!

[What You'll Never See Dept.]

onward to the witch hunt (the "Great Apostasy")

back to Bethel pages

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

oh sorry! I posted this all back on page 8!

I'm ducking out. :-))

This thread is now catching those of us with dementia. :-))

Randy

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

More Title Suggestions for a Book by Ex-Bethelites:

- Bizarre Myths We Lived By at World Headquarters
    - Devotion to a Failed Community - A Special Study of Life at Bethel- Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me to Wait on God for Relief- Hey, New Boy, Wanna Get Lucky? Hear Us Out!
    - Honk and Holler for the End of Obsessive-Compulsive Pseudo-Religious Obedience and Submission
    - Sucking Up in a Pig Pen While Living High on the Hog
    - The Fraud of the Watchtower ANTI-Society

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit