Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• wschroeder
    wschroeder

I still remain in contact with Carl and will ask him for names. Carl put together the group, knowing quite a few good musicians besides being an excellent horn player himself. His wife, then fiance, was a concert violinist with the Allentown Philharmonic. She often came to play for the recordings at Bethel.

About bro. no tie... he was an interesting character. Besides the really old farts, he was the only younger Bethelite I knew that lived in a single-man room.

That was a borrowed gold LesPaul, and he was quite proud of it. With some of the GB sitting front row center he had no qualms cranking it up, both in volume and some non-conservative physical activity. They let him know during a rehearsal, although I think he "forgot" once the actual show proceeded. There are times when your peers are more important. I blame the demon guitar... :-)

• wschroeder
    wschroeder

Greg writes:
    "Ah, yes...from the old "Oklahoma" song "Farmer and the Cowhand Should Be Friends"
    Instead of parodying the "Construction and Home Crew Should Be Friends", they could have done one like this: (the original is on the right and mine is on the left, for those unfamiliar with the musical.)"

I always thought you could have worked it out with the Writing Dept.... or with Glass and some new KS. ... :)

• gymbob
    gymbob

Wunze~

The guy in the front row of the group photo of pressroom boys with his hand in his pocket is Eddie Hernandez, you're probably thinking of another hispanic bro from CA named Rueben Teran, they hung around alot together.

Warren~

That black bro on the drums in your band....is that Richard Chambers????? I worked with him on a 2/7 cardcutter for a summer.....

Anybody remember Kenny Weber? How about Kent Furguson? Other 2/7 guys..... Bob

• gymbob
    gymbob

Sorry, didn't realize there was another black bro on drums in the photo..... I was refering to the one on the right with the drumstick in his hand.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

Wunze~

The guy in the front row of the group photo of pressroom boys with his hand in his pocket is Eddie Hernandez, you're probably thinking of another hispanic bro from CA named Rueben Teran, they hung around alot together.

Gymbob,

Right you are. After I left Bethel, actually ran into Rueben while in California on vaction. Back then, 81/82?, he was working for a beer distributor...

Eddie, Rueben, and Rico used to hang around together...

Thanks for the clarification

btw...Richard Chambers... from Michigan? Detroit area? worked with him for awhile....

• gymbob
    gymbob

Wunce~

Don't remember where Chambers was from, but he was a good guy. We played basketball down at the squib bldg alot, he was an outstanding athlete.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Rueben is still in California....in fact he lives in the same town I do. I know this because I saw him leading a group of witnesses out in field service a couple of years ago.

I was out in my yard on a ladder hanging christmas lights....the look on his face was....priceless!

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

more 3-6 Bible boys!

Pressroom 3-6 rules

another one with Fred Dando! How do I even remember these names?

Cab, what did I do with the pressroom personnel sheet? :-))

more pressroom boys

Jim Risso on the Wood-Hoe (I assigned this poor patient bro this job to test his loyalty :-))

Wood-Hoe

Those cylinders were 3 in number, 4.5 ft in diameter (!) and 72 inches long. When the 100 hp motor spun these puppies around to the tune of 100,000 books an hour, 4 COMPLETE BOOKS per revolution, I had to catch my breath. Only the Cottrell boys could sense that, maybe the Harris boys, too. You are a harmone-filled, war-for-Jehovah ready fool that ALREADY has an issue with fast cars and giant machines, and I was in heaven! Until the web broke.

The lightening-fast rocket stream of paper flew up an elevator like liquid metal running uphill. It had safetys, as we know all too well (too many crashes) but it really did make the hairs on the back of your head rise next to this thing.

(Stay out of this, Cabeen! )

The machine shop on the 5th floor below us had to shut down for awhile as the entire building rocked when this press ran, throwing off all their tolerances. :-))

But the bindery upstairs was the enemy. They had a STOP button. @#$%&%^%*& $%%&&**(

Hit that, and unbeknownst to you, miserable bindery newboy that you are, and a megaton machine below you comes to a sudden halt and paper explodes in the air, blocking the light! A case of books is lost just to reweb the press, which takes about 20 minutes. Then it has this 3-winged paper splicing contraption right out of Monty Python that rotates on the fly and as the two webs touch, they join by tape and the old web is severed.

In principle, of course.

In reality, you had to harass the poor CRAB man to bring over paper and load it WHILE the press was running! Rotary presses took trainloads of paper to keep going, you have no idea. And you print the Bibles on cigarette paper!

R

By the way, just to show you how utterly tacky I dressed, You see me in the gold suit in the center, which was my main and probably only suit for 2 years, starting with pioneering in San Luis Obispo in 1974 to around 1976 at Bethel.

RIP dear jacket, whereever you are!

tacky Randall

• gymbob
    gymbob

Dog~

The 2nd group picture you just posted, the guy in the front row, far right with his head turned sideways.....is that Bob Batco???

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

more on the Wood-Hoe, while I still remember anything. BTW only the Bibles were printed on cigarette paper; the Wood-Hoe took ground wood like the Watchtower and Awake mags.

Harris presses took coated paper to do the 4-color work, and it was much different. OK I'm rambling.

Anyway, these 3 Wood-Hoe cylinders were like 5 times larger than any other printing cylinders (I've worked on large newspaper presses, too, Orange County Register) and HAD NEVER BEFORE BEEN TESTED. This press kinda mentally burned out Harry Johnson; I think Cal Cruder wouldn't touch it (?) and Milan Miller had to fly off somewhere and was happy to hand it over to me.

My reward? 100,000 crappy 192-page TRUTH books that looked like a wad of paper went between the plate and the web or something and made the printing all uneven, like bad rubber stamping. I think they sold them at a reduced cost to the Bethel family. Max Larson was NOT impressed. But I finally got relieved from Hoe Duty so I could waste time hiding behind its now-still carcass, laughing with Cabeen over the latest underground adventures of the clueless Service Dept.

The actual problem with the cylinders was complex. Because of the sheer massive size of the cylinders, there was a degree of shape-shifting, or tolerances changing, in such large bodies of metal as it contracts and expands with temperature. Attempting to correct this in advance, the Wood and Hoe people :-)) LAMINATED the cylinders like a cutting board, eath 1/16th inch thick metal ring was about 55 inches in diameter!

Stay out of this Cabeen!

Some of the rings were magnetized, so they would hold the thin metal nyloprint plates. All of this conglomerate of earth-mover sized metal did not take well to temperature changes. Type would go alternately heavy then light in patches, and "makeready" was limited due to the backing cylinder being about 1/3 the diameter of the print cylinder. Having no air conditioning and INSIDE temperature ranges from about 60 degrees to 110 degrees, and you know it will look like crap. It did. But a room of air conditioners would not have helped. It was an albatross, a never-repeated experiment to my knowledge. I think Knorr wanted it for 1975, but we were running a little late. :-))

R

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit