Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

I remember Fred Maes too. After leaving JWs, I visited Fred and Jeanne in Alabama. I remember Fred as a great and wonderful person -- Jeanne too -- as well as the posters in this thread who I remember from my Bethel days. Fred and Jeanne's company was called "Maes Creative Concepts." I think it's still in operation but possibly with a new name.

Some of the following books by Fred Maes are still available from Barnes & Noble and other sources.

The Frustrated Cartoonist's Handbook
    Nobody Can Kick You unless You Bend over : A Book about People, Problems, and Personal Pride
    Profound Thoughts from the World's Deepest Thinkers
    Taking the Guilt and Fear out of Faith

Though he wasn't the author, Fred drew the illustrations for
    Quantum Retirement : Waltzing in Cosmic Babylon

He also produced a VHS called
    Learning to Cartoon with Fred Maes

Or is this another cartoonist with the same name?

Velta, I sure hope you can post some of those pictures.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Yes, it is the same Fred Maes. I think God broke the mold when he made him.

I don't know of any other. hee hee

I would love to post the photos. If someone can tell me how.

I have them on a MySpace as well as my personal pictures, but

I just can't seem to get the gist of how to post them to JWD.

HELP!

Velta

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Hi Eliveleth,

If you have them on MySpace, it will be very easy to post them here. Just go to MySpace and click on the pictures (one at a time), and then come here to JWD and paste them. It might not work, though, if you're not using Internet Explorer. In that case, maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Frank

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Maybe I did it this time. Let me see. If they show up, I will edit them. Woo Hoo!!! I did it! Now there will be no

stopping me. LOL

FredandJeanneatKennethAvenue.jpg Fred and Jeanne Maes c.1978 image by ElivelethFredatBethel.jpg Fred Maes at Bethel image by ElivelethMaggieandFred1952.jpg Maggie and Fred 1952 in SF, CA image by ElivelethCynthiaandRayFranz.jpg Cynthia and Ray c.1980 image by Eliveleth

Fred and Jeanne 1978 Fred at Bethel 1975? Maggie and Fred 1952 Cynthia and Ray Franz c. 1980

Pioneering in SF, CA When Ray came to dedicate our Assembly Hall in Yuba City, CA

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Eliveleth,

Many thanks! It's hard to accept that Fred's gone from us. I hope the pix keep coming.

Frank

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Eliveleth,

It is so nice to see these pictures of Fred. He served with my dad, Bill Cabeen, in the Spanish Circuit work in the early 1970s (he was District Overseer), then he and Maggie came to Brooklyn Bethel. Fred took me under his wing, and gave me lots of good advice about Bethel and spiritual matters, and Maggie helped me sort out my relationships with the sisters in my congregation.

Fred and I spent lots of time together after Maggie left. Then Fred left and later married Jeanne. I believe Ray and Cynthia introduced them. We visited the Virgin Islands with Fred and Jeanne and Ray and Cynthia in the late 1970s. What a lot of laughs that trip was!

When they moved to Mobile, Gloria and I and the boys went to visit them there. Then, a few years later, when Fred was so sick, I went back and spent a few days with them. I returned home only a day or two before Fred died. I was so glad I was able to talk to him, play the guitar and sing Tex-Mex songs for him, take him for a ride around in the car and even laugh a little.

Thanks so much for reminding me of a dear friend whom I miss very much.

Tom

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Tom,

It's been a joy to read your posts in this thread for the past month, and those of Randy and others too. What great memories have been revived!

Since the topic includes "Kline," I'll share a little something about him.

I was the "office supervisor" at Gilead when Karl Klein decided that he wanted a personal pioneer friend of his to get my job. I had no idea what was going on behind the scenes until Ulysses Glass sat me down and said the governing body was making some changes in the school and that my job would be affected. He seemed disappointed that he wasn't given more of a say about the changes. Up until then, my wife and I had been helping him for several years with Gilead graduation activity, and I thought maybe they had in mind giving me more to do in that area, putting me with Drew Wasko and Bob Jankowski. But it looked like my days of correcting student papers and doing other things in and for the classes were coming to an end. The new man Karl had in mind for my job had just arrived at Bethel that week, and right from the start they had me training him to take over my job. Some days later I met Leo Greenlees in the hallway, and he asked me how things were going. When I told him I was puzzled about some things that were going on in the office, he asked me a few times, "Are you sure no one told you why a change is being made?" He seemed disappointed that I was uninformed, and he ended our discussion. Then he made a dash down the hallway. Later that day and for the next several days, Karl kept showing up in our office and each time found something critical to say about my work. He was acting like a real screwball. Finally, I got upset and reported him to Carey Barber on the Personnel Committee. Among other things, Barber said "You're not the only one they're kicking around, Frank. Here I am on the governing body, and they don't think my text comments at the breakfast table are good enough. They want to take me off the schedule altogether. And, instead of sending me out to speak at special assemblies, they're picking these young green-behind-the-ears whippersnappers in the Service Department."

Well, weeks went by and nothing changed. I was handing over more and more stuff to the new man, and I had very little to do. My wife Dianne worked with Sister C (who is still there and who was a good friend of Grant and Edith Suiter), and Dianne confided to her that this situation was getting me down. Sister C came to me and said, "Frank, if you really want to get something done about Karl, the one you should talk to is Grant Suiter. He's the one with the real power around here." So I went to Suiter, and he was very cordial. He asked me, "What seems to be the trouble?," and he inquired and probed for about 45 minutes, getting me to repeat the answers to some questions. For example, "Would you mind telling me again what Brother Klein told you?" and "So your saying Brother Barber told you such-and-such?" I should have known by the sort of questioning that Grant wasn't really interested in helping me with my problem. His main concern was to get some goods on other members of the GB.

Well, the next two days the GB members all seemed to have disappeared. They didn't show up at meals and we didn't see them anywhere in the halls.

Finally, when they reappeared, I was walking by Carey's office and said good morning. He called to me and asked me to come in and sit down. I'll never forget his next words: "Frank, how could you? How could you? The conversation we had was private -- between you and me alone -- but you went and told Brother Suiter everything I told you. How could you, Frank? Do you realize that for the past two days I've been raked over the coals again and again by nearly every member of the governing body? You put me through the worst experience of my life!"

I really felt bad about what I had done to the old man and for the way things were turning out. I apologized and went to my job -- what was left of it -- in the Gilead Office. That evening I was climbing the stairs in the 124 building and met Karl on the 8th floor. He was coming down and I was going up, and we met at the door to the library. Karl said in a very drawn-out and bitter tone, "So, you told the governing body that I've been harassing you!" I said, "Maybe we should talk about it, Brother Klein." He replied, "There is NOTHING to talk about," and he opened the door to the library and slammed it behind him right in my face. I decided not to follow him, but I'm sure that others in the library must have jumped a mile when the door slammed. While I continued to work there, Karl never came into the Gilead Office again. The situation being what it was, I told Leo that I wanted a job change, and in a few weeks I was transferred back to the Shipping Department where I had been before. Thus ended my "career" in the Gilead Office.

Frank

PS: Here's a picture of the infamous Karl Klein copied from Randy's website:

The image “http://www.freeminds.org/history/critic2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Frank! Good to see you aboard. Thanks for the reminder that for every "good" story there are often many more very sad ones. Bethel, or more specifically the good 'ol boys that ran it, was a large mindless crunching machine that just hacked and spit out what it wanted. This machine was blind, dumb, and felt no regrets.

You say,

I should have known by the sort of questioning that Grant wasn't really interested in helping me with my problem. His main concern was to get some goods on other members of the GB.

Back then especially, each member of the GB was like bitchy teenage Survivor contestants stepping over each other to claim the prize. THIS WAS NO SECRET!!

Those of you that were there saw it. Frank, Cab, Barb, all of you.

It was so stupid.

Embarassing to hear Henschel and others talk about wanting more power.

Freddy doing the childlike iconoclast, playing the GB members off one another.

Bored office lackies playing "Swimming with Sharks" for fun and pleasure, destroying innocent psyches and splattering their heads against the wall. ("Oh, sorry Toth!") "Better luck NEXT time, har!"

Old men with sick fetishes and unhealthy, &^%$- up sexual problems that are too scary for even Bethelites to discuss.

What's funny is that seminaries and Bible colleges have often been the same way, but perhaps a little more subtle, as some of them actually READ the Bible and might be ashamed to act so childish openly. But I haven't kept up with that scene since the 90s either.

Randy

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Hi Frank,

I remember that story from when we talked a lot in the mid 1990s. Sadly, there were so many stories just like it. I now know how blessed I was to be in the Pressroom, where output was measurable and as long as we put out, we were pretty much left alone. I met some fine men there, and I will always love and respect them, wherever they ended up. It wasn't until long after I left that I began to see how divisive that whole organization is. You have so capably pointed out the reason why: the men in charge are exactly the same way themselves. No wonder so many of their decisions about the poor bros & sis's in the field are so uncaring!

The caption under Klein's picture ought to read: "Jesus said, 'Take; eat." I say: 'Don't you dare touch it!"

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

• fjtoth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit