Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• amicus
    amicus
    I dated her!

Ha! I didn't know that. Nor did I know you studied with Reg. I thought you were one of Ruthie Tanners gems that she handed off to Kenny T.

I didn't mean to sound harsh when describing Reggie. I always thought he would have been a great beatnik. I could so see Reg spouting philosophy and obscure poetry in some coffeehouse somewhere. He missed his calling in life is all. He should have been an anointed member of the beat generation.

• jaydee
    jaydee

Great thread , thanks

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Hi Warren,

I also remember Judy Martin quite well. My own wife Gloria came into Bethel as a single girl in 1971. Her last name was Van Aulen. She was assigned to Jim Petrie's table, and Jim was one of my best friends, so he was always telling funny "Cabeen" stories. Possibly that is why she said yes to me when I asked her if she wanted to go out, as many guys had asked her, but she always said no. One of my roommates, Warren Bennett, really liked her, but he never worked up the nerve to ask her. After he left Bethel, I did. I got to know some of the sisters there much better after I got married.

I also remember a funny Dan Sydlik story. One time Dan and I and several other guys were on the elevator. It stopped and a couple of guys got on. The door closed and the elevator continued on. One of the guys said to the other one "Hey I heard this great Polack joke. There was the Polack who had a chicken..." Dan interrupted him at that point. He said "Did you know that I'm Polish?" he said. Without a second's hesitation, the kid responded: "Oh, I'm so sorry." He said, drawing out each word, "Diiid (pause) youu (pause) heeear (pause) the (pause) one (pause) abouuut (pause) the (pause) Poooolllaaak..." Dad just burst out laughing. The door opened and the two guys were gone. I was stunned. I didn't get it at first (I'm Irish). Then I also burst out laughing.

Tom

• NanaR
    NanaR
    I remmember the Ledley sisters.

Carol and Adele Ledley were "needgreater" pioneers in my congregation in Kentucky before they went to Bethel. I spent several summers of my teenage years "vacation pioneering" with them.

Lois Borden lived with the Ledley girls here, and Patsy Ferguson came here with them but moved out to live with an elderly brother and sister. Carol and Adele became special pioneers and left us, then went to Bethel. Lois left when they did. Patsy stayed quite a long time. She was from Ithaca, NY.

I believe they all got married, and I know that Carol, Adele, and Patsy all had at least one child. I don't know if Lois ever had any children or not.

Connections, connections -- they never stop!!

Did any of you ever meet Paula Spatz? She went to Gilead, got engaged, and married her fiance (also a Gilead student) after they got to their assignment in Africa. Paula was a beautiful girl.

Memory lane...

Ruth

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Reggie was cool. They were all really good people! The Valley was worked a lot by Forrest and Ruth Tanner and her clan. So many Bethelites came from the San Fernando Valley. I did, Canoga Park.

Hey Tom,

Why not tell the story of how you learned all the news each day at Bethel, which you passed on to me?

Randy

PS Get Tom to tell this one, you've gotta hear it!!

• thepackage
    thepackage

This thread is AWESOME!!!! I keep reading it over and over. BTW did any over you bethies know Matt Hillyard?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Great stories ! Thanks everyone! Anyone know of Robert Huggins who was there in the early 70's? There was also Tim and Melda (?) who worked at the farms, originally from Colorado - I'm not sure if they are still there or not......sam

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

lourdes guerrero....cant remember her husbands name..he was a joiner..and a little bit older than her tho not outrageously so.

they left when she fell pregnant.

anyone??

• gymbob
    gymbob

Hey everyone!

I've been away for awhile but this thread is great and I just had to post something!

First, Jim Petrie was a good friend, and we were in the same cong. in Brooklyn for 4+ years back in the mid-late 70's. I saw him several years ago at a DC in central Calif., didn't have too much time to speak but he looked good. He should be here now......

Judy Martin was also in that same cong., a sweet, humble, prettier young single bethel sister you would not have found back then. Also in our Bay Ridge Cong. was another single bethel girl named Anita Berazza, she and Judy hung around together alot (safety in numbers!) she was also a sweetie but had a few more pounds than Judy and didn't get the same attention her way. Anita had a younger brother at bethel named Rueben (pressroom I think?), also in the same Bay Ridge Congregation in Brooklyn

One of my favorite bethel stories involved the lunchtime softball games next to the factory...anyone here play on one of those teams? Back in the 70's almost every factory dept. had a softball team and we would skip lunch and play fastpitch softball on the blacktop baseball fields next to the factory bldgs. I played for the Ink room team, also Dispatch and also umpired a game or two a week (Hey, I liked softball!).

Anyway, one game I was umpiring behind the plate and Dan Sydlik was pitching. Yes the GB Sydlik! He was a pretty good pitcher but let others bat for him, he wouldn't do any running.

So the count is 3 balls and 1 strike, Dan's pitch comes in high and inside and I yell out, "ball 4, take your base!" About that time I get a look from Sydlik that to this day I will never forget! He looks at me and says (in that deep Jehovah drama voice)....."BROTHER??!!"

What could I do? so without even hesitating I yell out, "STRIKE TWO!!" Made the batter mad as hell.... Gymbob

• amicus
    amicus
    Reggie was cool. They were all really good people! The Valley was worked a lot by Forrest and Ruth Tanner and her clan. So many Bethelites came from the San Fernando Valley. I did, Canoga Park.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know if it was the times (so soon after the 60's) or Forest and Ruth Tanners influence. Those were good times though. If Forest had decided rather than preach the good news, we should annex CA. We would probably be teaching the US some basic lessons in diplomacy rather than allowing them to commit to the idiocy that they have. That man had charisma. So sad it was misdirected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit