Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Fisherman,
    While I was single, I lived in the 124 bldg, mostly the seventh floor (739 and 735) My last roommate as a single guy was Baltazar Perla. Some of you may remember him as the guy who used to play "Malaguena" on the piano in the 124 lobby. He was on track to be a concert pianist when he decided to dedicate the few short remaining years of this system to something much more worthwhile: he was the coordinator of the Spanish congregations (Spanish Desk in the Service Department). I liked Balta very much, and told him many things before we left. He never turned us in. But I haven't spoken to him since we left Bethel in 1980.

After Gloria and I got married on May 25, 1974, we moved into her room, 458 in the 107 bldg. Later, when the Towers opened up, we bid on and got a room on the 13th floor, T1316. We had a nice view of the lower Manhattan skyline and a little balcony. A few GB and other heavies lived on the floor below us, including the Franz' and the Schroeders, and I think Ulysses and Ann Glass.

Ulysses and I were pretty good friends, as I was the lead voice for WT dramas in the 1970s, and Ulys and I spent a lot of hours together in the recording studio every spring, getting the dramas ready. Usually, the summer dramas were first preformed by the Gilead classes for the preceding year, at the graduations. So they had to be made long in advance of the conventions.

Listener,

Dan and I got to be friends when I first moved into 739 in the 124 bldg. He lived next door, in 740, and somehow we just clicked as friends. We did social things together outside of Bethel. Dan was single at the time, and worked in Writing. He was interested in a British sister, and Marina came to Bethel about the same time as my wife-to-be, Gloria. Marina did not make friends as easily as some, but she and I got along well from the very start.

When Dan had a falling out with Karl Adams, he was sent to the factory to work in Composition. (Dan told me that he had interviewed a young brother who had used drugs, for an article he was preparing. The brother talked to Dan on condition of anonymity. Karl Adams (overseer of Writing) demanded to know who the brother was, and Dan refused to tell him. Karl sent him to the factory because of that. That kind of thing happened quite a lot at Bethel. There were a lot of similar cases in the Pressroom files, which I had access to when I was Pressroom Overseer, but I didn't spend too much time going through the archives. I was too busy. Later, after I left, I wished I had made copies of some of them.)

By chance, I was closer than most were to the discussions that led to the formation of the GB committees. Fred Maes, John Bechtel and I were once called into a meeting with the entire Governing Body, in 1974, while discussions were underway as a follow up to "Black Thursday" (that's another story).

After Dan was put on the GB, and their Personnel Committee, he had an office on the ninth floor of Bldg three. I used to visit him nearly every day after I was the Pressroom Overseer. We talked about everything, including a lot of confidential stuff about things going on in the GB and personnel matters. I told him things about how the guys were reacting to things that the GB was doing, and made suggestions as to things that could make Bethel life better for people.

Dan shared lots of stories with me. After I left, I could have gotten many people at Bethel in trouble with what I knew, had I revealed it, but that is not part of my agenda. I simply wanted to know and live by what is true, an accurate picture of reality. I never wanted to get revenge or hurt anyone, least of all Dan. Next to my wife Gloria, he was probably the closest friend I ever had in my life. Losing him as a friend (when we left) hurt me very deeply. I tried unsuccessfully to contact him a couple of times.

Tom

• gymbob
    gymbob

Biff McFly~ (Love the handle)

Who the heck are you???

Trading some skiis for a pistol sounds familiar..... Yes, I'm Bob Gearhart!

So Biff send me a PM and let me know who you are! Bob

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

Tom C -

Was Balthasar Perla from El Salvador by any chance?

• Dogpatch
  • Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Fisherman sez,

DS is an engineer. I think that he was from texas. He had secular trainning. I dont think that Randy W. did. I was surprised how a young bro like Randy knew so much. Some one had donated some monster press to the wts and Randy W was to put it together. Where did he learn how to do that I thought to myself.

I was a Ford tune-up mechanic on the line, as well as a used car mechanic, could mickey-mouse anything! LOL Including the Wood Hoe. I was no genius, but they had taught me as a press mechanic, an operator, and R&D. Cab and Peach had a lot to do with my training. Plus we actually TRAVELLED AROUND (gasp!) to see what others were doing (and could not do).

Milan Miller was my first roommate. His job was setting up presses around the world! So no one had better training that I apart from the older mechanics, at least on the MANs. I even wrote a lubrication manual for the presses, which did not exit prior to that. Maybe old Reggie had some strings to pull there, I don't know. I just thank God for all the incredible experiences I have had, and so many with you fine folks. What a life!

Randy

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

wow, the names are FLYIN'!

Cab sez,

After Dan was put on the GB, and their Personnel Committee, he had an office on the ninth floor of Bldg three. I used to visit him nearly every day after I was the Pressroom Overseer. We talked about everything, including a lot of confidential stuff about things going on in the GB and personnel matters. I told him things about how the guys were reacting to things that the GB was doing, and made suggestions as to things that could make Bethel life better for people.

Cab knew that Cal Chyke and Richard Wheelock were very jealous of Cabeen and his press/printing knowledge, but even more so his precociousness, not helped by his evil 34 Orange links. :-))

So we knew that these old farts were going to recommend NYLOPRINT conversions, and were going to spend $60 million to do it, and it would FLOP!!!

We couldn't bear the thought of the loss. Cab didn't care if his name was on it or not, we tried to figure out ways in which they (Chyke, Wheels) could take credit for it, just to break the blockeade. Finally Cab had to leak it to Sydlik to get the "balls" rolling. Sydlik had balls, that' why he married the pretty young Marina.

So they went with Cab's suggestion in the end, and color printing saved the day. We went back to our political cartoons and awaited more news from the front.

Randy

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

old Wheels was a kind guy in some ways (he liked me) but he didn't trust Cab. Kinda like a poodle my mom used to have; never trust a dog that's smarter than you. :-))

Wheels knew Cab had too many tricks up his sleeve, and knew too many people. So his only defense was to LIMIT what he told Cabeen about the Factory Committee meetings with Larson and their plans. Which was HILARIOUS, because CAB knew through Dan and others! CAB yer busted!!

So the standing joke line that Wheels would use on Cab, when Factory Committee paperwork passed by his nose, and which Wheels wanted to be kept "quiet", Wheels would say, "Don't try to guess what this is for, Cabeen!"

ROFL still.

We were going to save furnace BTUs by sending the wet press web up to Chyke's office to scorch it, then cool it and bring it back downstairs for folding. The old farts should have had their energies harnessed, but we were not into recycling. :-))

OBVIOUSLY>

My lungs were filled with ink for one year solid, sore throat 24-7 until a year later, just adapted.

Randy

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Georgygirl,

Yes, he was. His mother was German, and his father Salvadorenan. He married a wonderful sister named Heidi.

Tom

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

I knew his father, then. I believe he ended up on the Bethel Service Committee (can't remember if that is the right term?) in El Salvador w/ D. Piccone. Lots of money.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

S4, Good to hear you again. The names are familiar, but sound like ones that came up after my stint (76-80).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit