why even numbers are better

by John Doe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    "Last" is a relative term. As such, any number can be a last number by simply changing the arbitrary terms you're comparing.

That's why I qualified it with an "if."

You are correct Sylvia. But, now you have to explain why. ;-)

Something about looking at the whole picture ...

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Something about looking at the whole picture ..

Does that mean you were guessing? ;-) Look back at my previous post. I edited it to show that I made a mistake in the series. ;-)

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Hmm, here's a fun one, but I doubt anyone will get it. Give me the next number in this series. This will require thinking in broader terms than numbers.

0, 0, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, ...

Ok, I'll show what the series should have been.

0, 0, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, ...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ok. It has something to do with increasing and decreasing in increments of 12.

Is that good enough for you, Mr. Technical?

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Hmm, here's a fun one, but I doubt anyone will get it. Give me the next number in this series. This will require thinking in broader terms than numbers.

0, 0, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, ...

Nope, but good guess. Really, this one was obscure enough that I would think it would give even the brightest geniuses pause. ;-) Not to mention my mistake in the original would make solving it nearly impossible.

Here's the explanation. Remember when I said solving it would require thinking more broadly than numbers? The sequence is coded to my sentence in the post. "Hmm, here's a fun one, but I doubt anyone will get it." "Hmm" has no vowells, hence the first number is 0. Now, I simply multiply 0 by 2 to get the second number, also 0. The second word "here's" has 2 vowells, hence the third number in the series. 2 x 2 is 4 to give us the 4th number in the series. "a" has one vowel, hence the 5th number is 1. 1 times 2 is 2, so the 6th number in the series is 2, and so on and so fourth. ;-)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I always enjoyed even numbers until I realized that when you write the number 4, you are making the sign of the cross.

But then it was pointed out to me that the number 1 appears like an ancient phalyic symbol.

So unless convinced otherwise, I fell the odd/even debate should be left as a matter of individual conscience.

Rub a Dub

• snowbird
    snowbird

You, John Doe, are definitely an odd number.

Sylvia

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I don't know what the best number is but I know what the most popular number is.

Bast upon Benford's Law the number that statistically leads a series of numbers is "1."

This applies to any series of numbers that theoretically should be random.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law#See_also

This relationship is used in auditing and especially forensic audits where you are looking for unexplained variances from expected results.

Numbers are fun and is what seperates humans from other mammals, that and a thumb.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Here's the explanation. Remember when I said solving it would require thinking more broadly than numbers? The sequence is coded to my sentence in the post. "Hmm, here's a fun one, but I doubt anyone will get it." "Hmm" has no vowells, hence the first number is 0. Now, I simply multiply 0 by 2 to get the second number, also 0. The second word "here's" has 2 vowells, hence the third number in the series. 2 x 2 is 4 to give us the 4th number in the series. "a" has one vowel, hence the 5th number is 1. 1 times 2 is 2, so the 6th number in the series is 2, and so on and so fourth. ;-)

I saw that, but then I thought "nah, that's just a weird coincidence, like when I ask god for a sign and a booming voice out the sky says 'what did you have in mind, atheist-boy?'".

• 1914BS
    1914BS

Sorry - that's not a series it is a sequence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit