why even numbers are better

by John Doe 40 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Odd numbers are ok - except for 13.

I never liked that number, and triskaidekaphobia has nothing to do with it!

John Doe, you're an odd one yourself, come to think of it.

Sylvia

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

It's far easier to slice a pizze, cake, or pie into an even number of slices than into an odd number of slices.

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

If you are playing craps and never throw an odd number you can win a hell of a lot of money.

Jackie

• FadingAway
    FadingAway
    I think 8 may be the best number in existence.

I agree, 8 is badass. The fear that 8 brings upon 7 is uncanny.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

8 has always been my favorite number... I was born in August, you know.

Jackie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Even numbers are horrible when out in field circus. I prefer odd ones. The number 1 means I get to do dummy service. The number 3 means standing out on a third of all doors, wasting that much time that nothing gets done. The number 5 means having a 50% chance of being in an odd group, with the result of wasting a third of all the time spent there.

However, even numbers are more efficient. If the groups are even, I have to go with someone at every single door, preventing that nice waste of time spent standing out. If there are only two of us, there is a good chance that my partner is going to be fixed for the day.

Once out of field circus, however, that difference breaks down. At coffee breaks (and all other breaks), a bigger number of minutes wasted is always better, odd or even. If we are sitting down for coffee (rare back when I was in before Starbucks and Tim Horton's became household words), even numbers were easier to track when splitting the bills (unless there were three or five in the party; then, numbers evenly divisible by that number were eaiser to work with). And computing the tip would be easier if the numbers were around multiples of $6 or 7, which would lead to a dollar per $6.60 equal to 15% (no tipping with a waste of paper--if you are going to do that, Seven-11 or A-Plus are cheaper to boot).

There is one favorite number when it comes to theocraptic increases: Zero. And, when it comes to growth of the Washtowel Slaveholdery, nothing beats a nice hefty negative number.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Nameless one, that's an interesting series. I however, like this one better--don't know the name. ;-)

1, 2, 6, 24, 120, 720, 5040, 40320. . .

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Not all even number are better. Think about this one: 144,000

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

And let's not forget this odd even number: 666

• John Doe
    John Doe

Hmm, here's a fun one, but I doubt anyone will get it. Give me the next number in this series. This will require thinking in broader terms than numbers.

0, 0, 2, 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit