Looking Back, Was Being A Witness A Worthless Experience To You?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• DubNoMo
    DubNoMo

1. Obtained good working knowlege of the Bible (albeit from a somewhat biased version)

2. Quit smoking

3. Improved my public speaking ability

4. Learned that even my best friends can/will lie about me

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I am hard-put to find any benefits from ever having been a JW.

For a time, I was considered to be a good public speaker - courtesy of the Ministry School, but I would be well out of practice now (a case of "use it or lose it.")
    Even then, as I have said on previous posts about this subject,it proved to be a bloody expensive course in public speaking:
    - the human, as well as the monetary cost.

When I was at my most fanatical, I was an ardent believer in the idea the the "Truth" was keeping me out of trouble. What it actually did was create a time bomb - that went off later on.

I don't have much difficulty in coming to the conclusion that I would have been better off if I had never heard of the JWs - to the extent that I regard them as a hazard in the community.

Jack.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I could have done without it, my mind-set would have been alot better...my family would be more united....I think there are few benefits..not worth it at all.

• redredrose
    redredrose

I can't say it was worthless. It gave me training for public speaking and as in introvert, that training is valuable. I gained my oldest best friend there. Alot of it was painful and humiliating. Being born in and baptized at 11, this was back in the late sixties, I never really questioned it being the "Truth" until the last year or so. However I was a really rebellious child. I wanted to have friends outside the truth and in actuality I was one of those who led a double life. I remember going to the Fair when I was 14 or 15 with my worldly boyfriend (my husband now) and being caught by the CO. He forced me and my boyfriend to stay with him while he called my Father to come get me. My boyfriend is Native American and the CO said to my Father that what bothered him more than me being with a worldly boy was that he was a nigger. Can you believe that? That statement is what made my Father come over to my side, he was so angry because my parents never looked down on anybody for the color of their skin. Apparently he said a few choice words to the CO and when I told my parents that I was never going to the meetings again they didn't even really argue with me. So for the next few years I gave my folks real grief, being into all the love, drugs and rock side of life. But thats another story. I have alot of conflicting feelings about all my years in the "Truth".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was worse than worthless. I wasted so much time in that slaveholdery, and learned precisely nothing that is applicable to real life or that was beneficial to myself or society. They did a thorough job at finishing alienating me from the opposite sex, and are waiting for the opportune time to pounce and drag me back to the Grand Boasting Sessions, pioneer, the Value Destroyer Training School, and to use me to start the Second Dark Ages. Obviously, worse than worthless.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I think I learn from them to not trust authority but then again I would have learn that any way.

• Champion
    Champion

The only take away for me was not to judge anyone else no matter what. That was not because of something good learned from JW's it's what they where and are. The most closed minded, judgemental people on earth.

• minimus
    minimus

a balanced thread

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I look back at those years and definately try to take something positive out of it. I am not really afraid to speak to strangers, I am a pretty confident speaker - even when put on the spot.

On a spiritual note - I know that I had to go down that path for my own personal reasons.

It's given me such appreciation for the small things others take for granted like having the freedom to associated with whom I please, have the freedom to think for myself and experience new things. I take great delight in living my life now thank to my JW past.

Would I change it.......perhaps, but, and I've said this many times, it's helped fashion who I am today and I really do love the person I've turned out to be...

• minimus
    minimus

I believe we are who we are because of our past and life's experiences. I don't HATE my past as some do. I look at everything as a learning experience and I try to not repeat mistakes that I can avoid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit