Looking Back, Was Being A Witness A Worthless Experience To You?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Was there anything positive about being a Jehovah's Witness?

• blondie
    blondie

It kept me out of prison for killing my parents.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

It was mostly negative, but they did train us to be good public speakers.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It taught me how to look people straight in the eye and lie to them with a smile on my face. The ability has come in useful over the years, especially during job interviews when I pretend to have nothing bad to say about a former employer.

W

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..NO!..Why would my parents,join such a Sh*t for Brains Cult?..All Praise..And..Have the nerve to cram that crap,down my throat.......It did nothing to prepare me,for real life..I had to do that on my own......................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yep, completely worthless. And yet that makes it sound somewhat neutral. It wasn't, it was detrimental.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I did get some positive things...

Excellent public speaking ability... comfortable making presentations to strangers...

Travelled to other continents....

Learned 2 langauges besides English...

These abilities helped me land a good job...

The negative...

It was all a lie...

I helped maybe 15 people get baptized.. sorry for them, lol.

A@G

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I would say that there is a wealth of positive to take from being a JW. I don’t say that to underestimate the negative, but in so many ways it has improved me as a person. But I would say that leaving it was the biggest refinement that I had from being in it. Learned so many good things that I can continue to use. It has heightened my perception that I know that I wouldn’t have had apart from it.

Glad to be out, but am comfortable with what I learned in it. Like Ray Franz said in his book, a negative experience can teach you so many positive things about yourself. I also think that I would have been as promiscuous as hell, so I am glad not to have children of mine dotted around the place. Honesty keeps me in work, being that people can pick up on the fact that I am……Don’t quite know why that is but there you go……

Yes I would say that there were many good things to take away, along with the crap……..

• four candles
    four candles

Agreed Mr majestic,

It has made us the people we are today,at least that was what my 19 year old son said the other day and he was never baptised but brought up as a witness. He doesn't go now either.

He has turned out a wonderful,level headed kid with a lovely girlfriend............apart from the fact he wants to play for Manure Utd......ewwwwwwwwww!!!

• minimus
    minimus

I believe my upbringing made me a "good" person. The ideals my mother learned from the Bible and tried to convey to me has made me a person that most others like. I've been told many times that my "qualities" are unique. (And yeah, that was said in a positive way).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit