When the fog lifted - did you see the control tactics everywhere?

by AK - Jeff 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It took a while for me - but after some time I began to see most all religion as controlling entities, interested not only in forcing doctrine on adherents, but also, and perhaps primarily, seeking to control believers.

I initially saw this as somewhat benign, but have increasingly seen it as dangerous, even a malignant force in human social-evolution. I see a far-right fundy church and it virtually screams "Jwism" to me.

I do not say this in attack of choices made by others - but only a reflection of how it affects me at this stage of my life. I have many 'religious' friends, and love them dearly. But the idea of entering a church [or other religious edifice] for much more than to satisfy my curiosity or perhaps to enlarge my personal community, practically makes me want to lose lunch.

Conversation with Wifey during vacation reveals her similar feelings. Have I entered a common ground with most former Jw's?

Thoughts?

Jeff

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I saw the control tactics when I was 14, and the elders made the decision I couldn't know my real dad.

I still see it today, when my mom calls them and asks for permission to come to our get-togethers!!

PISSES ME THE HECK OFF!!

shell

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I noticed it when I saw others drift off how the r & F would avoid a fader like the plague. When it happened to me I definitely saw the control tactics used

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I tend to agree, but I can't be sure. I can't be sure because I don't
    have any desire to attend "other" religious services.

I have read some books on the foundations of the Bible and Christianity.
    It seems that JW's have done what religions have always done- convince
    people of their glorious past and how they knew the sacred secrets long
    ago, so we should follow them now.

Still, many religions today have grown to allow their adherents to decide
    for themselves. I decided for myself that I don't need any of them.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The control tactics are used in many things, government, religion, families so I became very aware of it when I left the JW's. What gets me now is the control of information from the media. If a person goes to court there is a control of information when a person is on trial. Things the jury never hear in order to make a decision based on all the facts. Its all around us we just were so deeply controlled we didn't notice it. Now I see it everywhere. It is surprising to me that probably 25% of the time we never hear all the facts. Thus leaving us to make judgements on the 75% we do know.

Ruth

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hi Jeff, well for me, I actually enjoy going to church. It gives me a chance to connect with the local community, it gives me a sense of belonging, and I actually believe most of what they teach, and when I do find something slight I disagree with I just choose to stay, or I have the freedom to go somewhere else without being shunned.

By the way, how was your vacation? Please tell us about it in your other thread, if you don't mind.

• freydi
    freydi

F..............fds
    O..............organization
    G..............governing body

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Yes, I did Jeff. And I felt very similarly to you about religion. I made myself go to a Catholic Christmas service, have been to another Catholic service and even went to a Kingdom Hall meeting away from my previous congregation to prove to myself that I could because I knew I needed to be able to deal with my disdain of organised religion. I still hope that one day the human race will admit that it just doesn't have all the answers and stop clinging to untrue beliefs.

As some months have passed, I now feel less resentment of religion as a whole but still feel very sorry that it has managed to pull the wool over peoples' eyes for so long.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Oh my yes, and it's taken a good 6 months to really get a good view of the control. I am just now really seeing the Society for what it is, and seeing its tactics. It takes quite a bit of time to deprogram and 'look from the outside in'. This means stripping your WTS thought process and thinking for yourself, analyzing what they have written, and not just having the 'WT response'. This is very much easier said than done, especially early on.

I think things like V's videos and Blondie's Watchtower Comments, where they do a good job exposing the manipulation, fear, and outright lies.

Also add to that books like COC and others and visiting websites including JWD and slowly you see more and more exposed.

What finally has shown the control is the actions of the elders themselves. We had a brief 'witch-hunt' when a single comment of doubt was said. Immediately elders were calling wanting to meet with us. To me, this extreme fear (and intolerance) of doubt really was the final straw, showing me how much of a cult this is. It was only after this incident where I call the JWs a cult.

• worf
    worf

"When the fog lifted-did you see the control tactics everywhere?"

Yes.

Worf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit