How did you handle facing the reality of death?

by song19 50 Replies latest jw friends

• song19
    song19

For those raised or who got the ‘truth’ at a young age, how have you been able to handle the reality that you are in fact, eventually, going to die in this ‘system’?

For me, this was a real hard reality check. As a witness, my entire life I was convinced that I would see Armageddon, that I wouldn’t grow old and die. Now that I am ‘out’, it has been an emotion shock to now have to accept the fact that I will have to eventually watch my parents die, watch my family die, and eventually I too will have to say goodbye to my kids when I die.

It’s quite damaging really… most people learned about death at a young age, it’s normal to live knowing you’ll eventually die. For me, that thought never once entered my mind. It’s been a shocker to say the least to have to accept that truth, that reality that I will get old and eventually die. An extremely sad reality for me.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Song 19, As I get older I find myself reading the obituaries daily. And I have come to realize how little ANYONE knows about life after death. Do not be afraid of the unknown but rather relish not having to live in the constant fear the dubs expect you to live in. It's all about attitude.

• ninja
    ninja

I have finally accepted that my mother in law could die in this system.....and i have come to terms with it.....sniff...........muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah......ha....ninj...........ha

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Song,

It hit me like a ton of bricks. There were times when I wished I was still in the lie and living the fantasy. The reality of death consumed me for several weeks. It was pretty bad. Honestly being on this board was very theraputic and helped me get on with life. Its so easy to fall into a stuper when you find out so much of your life is a big, fat lie. After I accepted the fact that one day I will die, I started living. It not easy, its definitely a journey.

• New light for you
    New light for you

song.... nice to meet you.

And its funny, i was JUST thinking of that last night... so i'll be curious what posts you recieve. It's an "afterthought" once you've been thourghally convinced and fully "done".... oh no.. now what happens???

I just got to that point, and it's scarey now. I felt like i would die, but then wake in the "new system(tm)". Now it's just a big ????????????

frightening.....

• Scully
    Scully

For those raised or who got the ‘truth’ at a young age, how have you been able to handle the reality that you are in fact, eventually, going to die in this ‘system’?

For me, this was a real hard reality check. As a witness, my entire life I was convinced that I would see Armageddon, that I wouldn’t grow old and die. Now that I am ‘out’, it has been an emotion shock to now have to accept the fact that I will have to eventually watch my parents die, watch my family die, and eventually I too will have to say goodbye to my kids when I die.

It’s quite damaging really… most people learned about death at a young age, it’s normal to live knowing you’ll eventually die. For me, that thought never once entered my mind. It’s been a shocker to say the least to have to accept that truth, that reality that I will get old and eventually die. An extremely sad reality for me.

It's a difficult thing to wrap your mind around. I can clearly remember being told that I would not graduate from elementary school because Armageddon™ would happen before that. Not only did I finish grade school, but high school and college as well. I can clearly remember being scolded for having children This Side of Armageddon™, because The End Is So Near™. Now I have children who are practically grown up in their own right. I can clearly remember being scolded for enrolling in college in my early 30s, being mocked that I was wasting my time because Armageddon Is Just Around The Corner™.

Apart from a 12-year gap between graduating from high school and going to college (and getting married and having a family in the interim), life has proceeded almost normally for me. But like you said, one of the most difficult things to accept was the idea that I was not going to Live Forever In Paradise On Earth™.

Then I started to think about why the WTS would want us to believe that we could Live Forever In Paradise On Earth™. What was the payoff for them if we really believed that part of their mythology? A look at the lives of many JW old-timers was quite revealing:

• No education beyond the basics. This keeps the JWs tethered to the belief system by a corollary belief that After Armageddon™, you would have all the time in the world to pursue educational ventures.
    • No financial security (pension, retirement savings, investments). JWs have been led to believe that these material things are potential stumbling blocks to spirituality. They have been led to believe that they can just scoop up the spoils of other peoples' homes/wealth After Armageddon™, but they have to Wait On Jehovah™ rather than working to acquire those things now.
    • Discouraging childbearing - the JW becomes wholly dependent on other JWs in similar circumstances for social / familial interaction. The congregation becomes a surrogate family. The JW has no extra mouths to feed, and is more likely to spend time serving WTS's interests (Pioneering™, etc.) and also disposable income is more likely to flow in WTS's direction. Any estate that the person might accumulate through their lifetime is more likely to be given to the WTS upon their death.

When I realized that I did not have Forever™ to get those things done - that Living Forever In Paradise On Earth™ was just a big fat MYTH - I stopped being complacent about my future. I went to college and got the education and the job I wanted. We started saving and investing for our retirement years. We helped our children with their educational goals. We bought a house. We started a successful business. We loosened the shackles of what we had to Wait On Jehovah™ for, and started living the kind of life that we wanted to have NOW.

I'm not afraid of dying now, because I'm really living now. When I think about how I felt as a JW, it was as though I was afraid of living andafraid of dying because we weren't really living our lives. We were merely existing, while we Waited On Jehovah™.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I find myself reading the obituaries regulary. To make sure I'm not in them.

I escaped the tower in 83. Then spent 20 years calling myself a Christian and readig the bible.

Now I call myself an agnostic.

But I think life is such a miracle to begin with that most likely we continue to exist is some state or form after we pass off this earth. And its not hard to find arguments in favor of that belief, which to me seems a bit more sunny and positive than the flip side.

My father died, he was never a witness. He never went to church.

My brother tells me he has visited with my father numerous times since he died along with some of the families dead dogs.

One time people were visiting and a young boy about 5 was down in the basement of the house my father lived in, this happened after he died. The young boy was talking to someone. The adults asked him who he was talking to. He said. Bob.

That was my fathers name and the young boy didnt know about my father.

I think this life is just one stop on the journey.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have found it very hard to come to terms with. I don't fear death, though I will miss life, but I just cannot get use to the concept instilled from birth they I will loose everyone over time. It is worse since I have just had a child, as I am 38 and fear that I will not live long enough to see him grow and have a family.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    It hit me like a ton of bricks. There were times when I wished I was still in the lie and living the fantasy. The reality of death consumed me for several weeks. It was pretty bad.

Me too. I remember the year it hit me, I was 34 and realized that someday I would die. Then depression took over. Took me a month to get over the worst of it.

• song19
    song19
    I have found it very hard to come to terms with. I don't fear death, though I will miss life, but I just cannot get use to the concept instilled from birth they I will loose everyone over time. It is worse since I have just had a child, as I am 38 and fear that I will not live long enough to see him grow and have a family.

I can't imagine not being there for my kids. It will be hard to have to experience my parents death. It will be hard to leave my own children. I hope that I too will see my grandchildren. But sadly, I probably won't see my great grand children. Its the sadness of saying goodbye and missing out... knowing that they will mourn for me. It's like I am dead already inside.

I agree with you Scully, I need to start living life. I have just put it off for over 30 years, I don't know where to go or where to turn. Having problems socializing and being a full time mom, doesn’t help either. I just don’t know what I want to do with my life… gosh I am so angry that I missed the best years of my life. You know my doctor is 5 months older than I am… that could have been me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit