Would 1 million dollars help you and how?

by Junction-Guy 62 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

A million dollars is not a lot of money...in the States. Especially after you get hit with taxes on winnings, you are left with what... about $600K. I hate to say this, but if you have financial trouble now, the winnings will most likely only be a temporary fix. Statistics show that you will end up right where you started if not worse if you typically have 'bad debt' or do not know how to manage your finances when a win-fall of money comes your way.

I would donate $100k, do my part in stimulating the economy (aka shopping ) and invest the rest.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Ah, the irony of a shopaholic responding on a thread about winning the lottery,.....

:)

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

600K is still a fortune, especially for those living outside of California.

With 600K I could have bought a decent house in Kentucky when we got married, and never ever left Kentucky.

I won't sneeze at 600K

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    I won't sneeze at 600K

JG, neither would I. But I don't think I would let Ed take my picture. Can you imagine being in the commercials and advertisements? All types of looneys would come out of nowhere. But yeah, if Ed came to my door right now, I'd take the money. I don't enter in those sweepstakes for nothing!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah you are right about that, alot of loonies would come out of thw woodworks claiming to be your friend.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Paste 1000 dollar bills all over my bod and drive by my ex husband's house, the one who hasn't paid child support in over 3 years and get out and do a dance singing with a loudspeaker, sucks to be you, don't it, don't it!

Hehe,

No seriously, I'd invest, travel and take care of my kids futures, and a few well deserving friends.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have seen this thread and been thinking about what I would do

I think a million dollars would have to last for another 40 years -- women in my family live into their late 90s.

Granted I could get a lot of interest to live on off the million. And in Canada we don't have to visit the tax man when we get the $$$

• A house is impratical for me - maintenance, snow, grass so I think a condo would work better.
    • A car - only if there is indoor parking (hate the idea of clearing the ice and snow off the car but it would have to be a mini-van modified for a wheelchair
    • I would like to get a couple of books published so that's just a small thing but very do-able.
    • take a vacation or two - I would love to see my brother whom I haven't seen in 32 years disabilities on both sides and finances have made this very difficult to arrange

I don't think a lot would change for me. I kinda like the way things are now.

• restrangled
    restrangled

One million in this day and age will keep you comfortable but not rich!

Yes, I would love a million, to pay off our house and credit cards, and keep gas tanks full!

Just received my power bill.....air kept at 77, no lights during the day, no fans, and all energy star appliances and a new Trane air conditioning system.........take a guess for a 1700 square foot house in Florida from the middle of May to the middle of June....2 people here, one gone most of the day.

...................................$346.00..........................

One Million doesn't make you rich these days, just a little more comfortable paying bills.

r.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Yeah! I would go back to school--and I would hire Decki to take a picture of me that made me look pretty. I have NEVER had a photo I liked. But I'd like to have a portrait done by her-even if just for me to see:) I may finally make an avatar though:)

I'd also pay off my bills, but I could do that with under 10 grand, except for the house. And I don't want to pay it off, then my husband would stop working and drive me nuts all day long.

After school, I would invest in a bookstore/cafe for my little town. We need one, and I like books.

Shelly

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly

One million dollars isnt really richness in this world, but yes for sure it would help me to live how I wish too at this moment. I agree money can not make you happy, but it certainly can make life a whole lot easier.

With a million dollars, I would first of all buy a home for my daughter and myself, then make plans to go back to school to do something that makes me happy.. something like History.. or Political Science, something that interests me intellectually and has no bearing on what sort of income I may earn from it.

In between the home and schooling, I would do some travelling.. a European tour first, then an extensive stay in Tibet to glean some insight from the Tibetan Monks.

After my travelling and schooling.. I would want to teach History.. or go into Politics and hopefully make a difference in a small way in this life I live.

LTF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit