Did you help clean the Kingdom Hall, yard work, maintenance?

by Thechickennest 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• iceguy
    iceguy

Our CO actually made us get a landscape service because it looked bad and even said so in a talk to cong.We had 3 congs meeting in that KH and pretty much only 1 hall would try to take care of it.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Hillbilly I know what you mean about people like that in the org. I was cleaning an circuit assembly hall and the brother that lived there prayed before we ate lunch and he literally just said thanks for the food and that was the end of the prayer. We all kind of looked at him when he said amen and he said " When you pray over food then just pray over food...no reason to blab on and on" I thought that was pretty cool and he was a smart guy, real laid back. I think some don't turn into the tyrant that many do in the WTS and they are pretty genuine people and not trying to lord over people. Wish it was the majority that were like that brother.

• MMae
    MMae

I even bothered to show up for our BS turn to clean when I was df. I was suprised that I was asked to leave, because the elder felt that cleaning was more "social" than worship. But since I had set the time aside, and had driven down to the hall, I asked if it'd be alright if I picked up around the grounds. (Everyone else was working indoors.) He said that would be OK. So I did. Then left without going back inside.

It was their lose when they decided I didn't deserve re-instatement.

THANK GOD!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember they always scalped the lawn. The lawn would be cut to no more than about 2 centimeters high, and often they hit dirt. (It is supposed to be cut to 8 cm). I told them that cutting to 8 cm (about 3 inches) would give them a better lawn, but they didn't listen. And the lawn died quickly when we got a dry spell. (At least that isn't my problem.)

What they did do when I suggested raising the blade to 8 cm was that I use that knowledge to build up families and the congregation. There was no way those two percepts could be integrated, and even if I could figure out what the fxxx they were talking about, there is no way I am going to help others with their children (that I wasn't even particularly drawn to) when they continually kept me apart from the opposite sex and anyone I was drawn to. And they never got me to lift a finger to actually do anything for them.

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I did it quite a bit when I was a pioneer,you know...set the example.......reach out........BUT...I had to draw a line during football season. 11am cst is kickoff and All you saw was *sss and elbows as I wlaked to my car, so I was sure to be there early. That way I've given 3hours by 11am. Rest of the year you could do what you want with me

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Grass mowing...yep loved to work outside.

Hall cleaning...yep "brothers" would run to clean the "sisters" bathroon and visa versa....cheap thrills for all involved.

brzfst

• Forscher
    Forscher

Yep, been there done that.

For a number of years in the late 1970s the lawn didn't get mowed unless I did it (exception, right before the CO's visit some brown-nosers looking for brownie points would show up and do it). I wore out several mowers on that lawn. Oh, the Hall had a mower, but I wasn't allowed the keys to the room it was kept in.

I did the quick-builds as well. Enjoyed the time spent on them.

Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit