Did you help clean the Kingdom Hall, yard work, maintenance?

by Thechickennest 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes Lawnmowing...Quick builds and cleaning and all joyfully.....because the Watchtower told us to be Joyful. Damn cheapskates can't afford a gardener....heres $80 bucks now call "Lawnmowing Inc." It my weekend!

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Beautifying your environment (bedroom, house, neighborhood, place of worship, etc.) is an expected thing.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I resolved to not lift a finger to help cleaning or maintaining the new Kingdumb Hell. And that meant donating anything for supplies, donating money to pay for the damn thing, or even shoveling snow. And I kept that resolution--I didn't lift a finger.

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

When I was real young, I did. I loved it.

Once I got older, I got sick of it (heck, I don't even like to clean my own house! lol) and would sneak out the back door as soon the amen was said whenever it was my BS's turn.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Any one ever know Albert Sillaway? He lived in California, drove an Edsel... anyway he was retired and came for an extended visit in Tennessee... stayed with his sister Cora and Uncle Jimmy. Albert was annointed, spoke latin, could qoute from the classics... a really cool old guy. he was a railroad electrician... taught me my first real wiring work.. like c form starters on pumps and stuff like that.

We were pretty well done cleaning. I was messing with the piano.. Albert, a short bald elderly gentleman. was at the podium reciting a solioquie (sp) from Shakespeare. I dont play... but somehow I stumbled into the opening notes of "White Cristmas"... on key and in time.

Albert started to laugh... he sat down and played the rest of the song. This guy met Russel as a kid. If all witnesses were like my 10 favorites I'd probably still be in... and the religion would be something Ray Franz would be proud of.

I guess what really brings me down about the whole JW life I led was this. Meeting all the asshats who were in some assinine power struggle really robbed me of the joy that came form knowing genuinly good men like Sillaway and some other folks I met along the way.

I hope to meet em all somplace along the way again.

Jeff

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Yeah. I had more important sh*t of my own to do besides cleaning, mowing, etc..

What a complete waste of time.

• logic
    logic

They worked me like a dog. I was always big built so I guess they though they could use me like a mule. Several years ago I was working on one of our major renovations, and there were several elders and ministerial servants standing around having a good time eating and telling the very few workers what to do. Finally I realized the situation and yelled 'we have more chiefs than indians around here', and I left never to do any more work again. Around the same time is when I started to research the society, so all of it together made me realize the whole society thing is bull****.

• raindog
    raindog

My parents never participated in the behind the scenes stuff such as cleaning the hall during the week or after meetings. however, once a year, our hall would have a big event they called a "clean-in", where everyone would show up and do work around the hall, usually right before a C.O visit. You would have thought they were getting ready for the pope to visit. My parents would bring in a ton of food and work from morning till dark to prove what loyal dubs they were. I can't understand to this day why I looked forward to pulling weeds all day. Could my life have been so void of excitement and socialization that I really enjoyed doing that? wow, I shudder when I think of it now

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I did but only because we had three or four really cute really loose girls in our hall and well there were lots of secluded spots and since their were four of them there was usually at LEAST one there!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Hillbilly:

Your post really touched me. I can so relate to your summation of what all the asshats have done to what this religion used to be about. There just is no comparison. Like you, I hope to meet all the good ones someplace along the way again.

I did my fair share of helping out with the yard work and maintenance. A lot of it was very poorly organized, more of a 'show' like a previous poster said. Some would be working hard all day, actually getting their hands dirty and then you'd have the ueberrighteous ones showing up after their couple hours service (donut shop), and just poke around to see who exactly showed up and what they were all doing. After brief chit chat, etc. they would leave the scene without so much as lifting a finger.

What a PRIVILEGE it is to no longer be involved in that whole farce! Privilege, my ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit