Did you help clean the Kingdom Hall, yard work, maintenance?

by Thechickennest 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• tfjw
    tfjw

Yes, my wife and I used to get on a cleaning schedule and we would help clean the halls. I never did mowe the lawn. That was left to the younger ones usually.

Went to many quick builds and usually got assigned to the accounting trailer. That was especially nice during the winter. All I did was drink hot tea and answer the phone on occasion. Had some pretty strange experiences in those accounting trailers with others who thought they were "anointed", especially the old ones from Brooklyn. Mean, mean, mean!

I don't remember if they were called "quick builds" between the 60s and 80's though.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

tfjw - I think they were called "2-day Kingdom Halls" back then, but they were changed to "4-day", and eventually to "Quick Builds".

I have wasted many weekend days cutting grass and trimming hedges at the various halls I have attended. At one point I even let them use my lawn equipment. Bad idea... When I would take my truck over to the hall, people would rummage through it, looking for trimmer line, or edger blades, or gasoline. That used to really irritate me when there was a big "cleanup day" and people would just go into my truck and take gasoline. It's not like there weren't gas cans at the hall, they just assumed they could take what I had brought from home.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Yes, yes, YES!

Now let's never mention this again.

• chickpea
    chickpea

yep!! we would pack up the whole fam damily
    and take our vaccum cleaner and extension cord
    plus various cleaning supplies... faithfully!!

for 2 summers the hub would trailer his
    lawn tractor and mow the HUGE lot the
    hall was built on!

totally suckered!!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, you know, you did it as a part of a community. That's what communities do - share the work. There's nothing wrong with it - it's the doctrines and the cruelty that are at fault in the org., but some things like working together as a community to do necessary work, well there's nothing wrong with that. I don't regret those times. Now field service, there's something to regret. what a fucking waste of time.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Always. Cleaned many a toilet in thirty years. Oh, and pulling weeds in the 100 degree Texas afternoon heat.....

Cleaned at the district and circuit assemblies, also. Oh, yes, also took our mower to the Rosenburg assembly hall to do yard work there and pull weeds.

Usually women cleaned, and elders walked around talking "important talk" to each other instead of cleaning.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Yes. I would frequently strim & weed around the gravestones. I bet many here didn't have to do that.

• carla
    carla

As a ubm I know I can really appreciate working my ass off in the yard to have my jw leave to go to the damn khell so he can mow the damn lawn. I love a man with his priorities in line.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

i used to clean the snow off the parking lot. but when they found i'd wear my hair "too long", i lost that "priviledge". lucky me.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I was there many times and one thing I would always notice is most of the people there just stood around talking there were only a few of us that did all the work. And then some would show up after the field circus and start talking to the ones that were working it was all a show and it would have been better to just hire a maintanace company to come in quarterly and do the cleanups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit