Do your words count on J.W.D. ?

by caliber 59 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

Absolutely. sKally

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

There is times when one will comment on someones thread and the person will acknowledge everyones comments but yours.

It makes you feel like they are snubbing or avoiding you.

Shunning on JWD?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Kinda like when you are the last one to post.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Do your words count on J.W.D. ?

As others have already stated: sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. When I first stormed into this board along with a lot of other regulars on H20, we came from a forum where 95% of the topics were about JW issues, doctrine, practices, scandels and false prophecies. After all, it WAS a JW discussion board!

We started posting JW stuff here and some of the then "regulars" resented us for ruining their "coffee shop" forum. They wanted the board to be a social gathering where inanity ruled and anything "serious" was not welcome. It was rough going for us for a while.

If this board was limited to subjects I like to discuss, well for me, that would be great. But it isn't and that's fine, too. People here have the option to filter out discussions they are not interested in looking at. There are filters for "friends", "doctrines/beliefs", "scandels", "humor" and more. I wonder how many people actually use those filters.

Everyone wants their voice to be heard, some desperately so. That's understandable, too. We don't often get to have our voice heard in life. At times it looks like some folks will pick a subject for the sole purpose of having their voice heard, even if the subject is garbage. I guess 15 minutes of spotlight is better than no minutes of spotlight. Then there is the ego-boosting thrill out of chalking up a large amount of page views and/or a large amount of responses. I've fallen into that trap. I admit it, but I won't do whatever-it-takes to get attention. I try not to start threads that are, let's admit it, stupid and meaningless. I prefer to start threads that are not meaningless, only stupid. But that's just me.

Net etiquette for years dictated that when someone joined a discussion group, they should refrain from posting for at least a week until they could get a flavor of the pace and direction of the group. Etiquette also dictated that people read the FAQS before asking questions or starting topics that may have already been covered many times. Good etiquette on this board (I'm only dreaming here) would be for a newbie to read through the "Best Of" section before starting a thread on a topic that has been covered dozens of times already. "607 CE", subject matter from Crisis of Conscience, "blood", "this Generation", the UN/NGO scandel and many others have been thoroughly covered already. Unless someone has something new to add, why bring it up again

Finally, another cardinal rule of Net Etiquette is (or used to be) read ALL the replies on a topic before posting your own.

Here I see people "shotgunning" all the time. They read or scan the original post in say a 4 page thread and then immediately reply without reading a single comment. I'm surprised they are not embarrassed that often they are just saying what's already been said and wasting space by doing so. Other times they won't even bother to read the entire first post. They'll stop somewhere in the middle of it and then reply to whatever it was that caught their attention. That's laziness. (I've done it myself, although not often and I've looked foolish more than once by doing so.)

If you look at the stats for all the specific topic filters here you will find that BY FAR the "friends" category is the most popular. So maybe this really is a "coffee shop" for ex-JWs, after all. If that is the case, no one should be surprised if a well-written, well-researched, hard-hitting and serious topic on a JW issue is bumped back 7 pages to eternal obscurity within the first hour, and a topic about "intellectuals", or "favorite phones" , "tofu" or "play this fun game" stays on top for weeks. I'm certainly no longer surprised. Nor am I bothered about it. Let the majority decide what they want. I'm a generation behind most on this board and I've said most of what I've wanted to say anyway. Probably more than I've wanted to say!

So, let the good times roll!!

Farkel

• caliber
    caliber

Farkel,

You make many interesting observations...long term membership gives you an overall birds eye view of the board. Most of your comments

come down to purpose and intent of individuals which in turn results in some strong group intent that dominates.I Think one reason

people try to be creative in topic is because like you say most of the biggies 607, blood, UN have been covered. Majority

rules by the very nature of the forum set up. As for the social aspect I have come to realize so many people have suffered

and continue to suffer ...one person even said that her counselor told her JWD is your group therapy. If you took away all those

without family, divorce, sexual, emotional, money issues the board would be small indeed. I guess getting your life back

on track starts at home, otherwise it's like preaching to a starving man .

I also appreciate your advice on rule of forum Etiquette.. good to remind ourselves. However again new ones usually just jump in

as I did..knowing nothing about forums .For example one person said to a newbie..... usually you introduce yourself first before

just jumping into debates...sorry but that's what I did too !!

Thank you very much for this informative and thought provoking post

Caliber

• caliber
    caliber

Quirky,

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes if our statement are so cut and dried that nothing more can be said.

If you really nail a topic people may be inclined to say.... well I couldn't have said it better , end of story..

on the other hand controversy draws statements both pro and con !

Caliber

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Do your words count on J.W.D.?

I certainly hope so or I have wasted 7 years here.

I have many topics where there are few responses but lots of page views. I think page views are a better indicator of the value of my words

. . . well that's what I keep telling myself

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is my practice to try to make
    a meaningful contribution, or at least
    the attempt, for the threads i find
    evocative, and also to thank those
    members who lend genuine insight
    and information that is helping to
    heal the traumas induced by
    assimilation in the b0rg....

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

Yeah I'm feeling kind of lost in here too which is why I hadn't posted as much, based on how long I've been a member but hey, then I recently decided. I can still say what I feel, ask a question or too because it'll get picked up or someone may come on several months from now and it be of value to them. sorry about long run on sentences. LOL!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

getoverit

sorry about long run on sentences

For some reason this really cracks me up.

I can still say what I feel, ask a question or too

That's the whole deal here

get it out, say it out loud (or in cyberspace), spit it out, type it out.

This is a great place to "getoverit" - in a good way because keeping it all inside just makes people sick both emotionally and physically

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit