"We are the only ones going door-to-door" with the message

by OnTheWayOut 31 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

Yes, such conversations are futile.

Look into the International Church of Christ. Even though the movement has fizzled in recent years due to people waking up and not standing for it anymore, the entire church model was built on proselytizing. It had an incredible run of growth though.

Check out some writeup from ex-members on how the mantra in the church was disciple = Christian = saved. At any point you weren't "being a disciple", you weren't "being saved". In other words, you could lose your salvation. "Being a disciple" was proselytizing or conducting "studies". There was a long period where they went door to door, but used other methods which were even more effective...especially their college ministry.

http://www.reveal.org/

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

And what "message" are they going from door to door with? Most just try to leave the watchtower and awake with a minimum of conversation. How many are even capable of "preaching" without having a watchtower or awake magazine to fall back on? If a householder hands them a different version of the bible, many JWs can't find their way around in it.

They knock on doors when people are either at work or very busy, and they know it. They claim they're following the first century christian model for preaching by going from door to door, but that's idiotic. I'm sure the first century christians used the most effective preaching method available to them at the time, but that method is now innefective and obsolete. Anyone who is truly interested in getting a message out to people does not knowingly spend their time knocking on the doors of empty homes.

W

• Terry
    Terry

I find the best argument against the door to door message is the message itself over the last hundred years.

Just what exactly has the message been?

Armageddon will be here on such and such a date. Oops!

Some message!

Don't go to college because Armageddon is coming. Oops! You can't afford to retire? Tough luck.

Millions now living will never die. Oops! We meant Millions now dying may never live.

And so forth.

All those very important messages were like sandwiches that went stale and gave food poisoning to the people who ate them.

You see, it does MATTER what is in those magazines and books placed at the households of hungry sheep.

If you could assemble the householders by decade and let them compare the "food at the proper time" delivered to them the message would radically and drastically differ in each instance.

What is true about the door to door work is its ineffectiveness.

What is true about the message is that it doesn't seem to be so all important that the Society would actually use EFFECTIVE media such as TV or Radio or Internet for Q&A.

Imagine a TV ministry in which questions could be asked and answered! Would that not demonstrate confidence in the purity and strength of the Truth? Would not a failure to engage the public in a genuine venue by media not demonstrate the lack of confidence and fear the message is tainted?

Going door to door demonstrates only what pressure, guilt-tripping and threats can inspired by fear to motivate action on the part of people too conditioned not to respond otherwise.

• oompa
    oompa

I mastered the soft knock on the door at 11!.....always wanted to go to the doors alone so I could fake ringing the bell or do the silent knock....and would pray the porch would not squeak and anyone inside ever come to door!!!!!!.......oompa

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

[Oompa:

Ahhhh.... a humor-laden thread along the lines of what you suggest has already been done at least once:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/25/91042/1.ashx

---Dan]

• Layla33
    Layla33

The bottom line is that going door to door is not bible based. It is something created by the WTS to promote their magazine distribution corporation. They use unpaid volunteers to do their work and imply that those that do the most time are more spiritual. It's a crock of you know what.

• oompa
    oompa

OMG dannyboy....thanks for makin me wet my pants....I had not seen that!....lmao!...........oompa

• still_in74
    still_in74

The highest, percentage-wise of janitors and landscapers of any religious group
    LOL!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks, everyone. Just needed a few laughs this morning.

• whoknows
    whoknows

Yeah, and how effective are they with the message? Do you think the average person walking out of a Rite Aid Drug store with an ice cream cone can explain what JWs believe the Kingdom of God is???? All they know is that we don't take blood or celebrate Xmas. Great job guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit