"We are the only ones going door-to-door" with the message

by OnTheWayOut 31 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I wind up sitting next to a friend of my wife. She knows I am not going to
    the hall, but has no idea why. She is not talking to me, but to another dub
    there. I don't want to explain why I am sitting with the dubs, but I am.

Anyway, she says that "We are the only ones who go door-to-door with a
    Bible message. Nobody else ever rings my bell."

Even though it is a bad idea in this dub circle, I can't let it go.

OTWO: "Mormons go door-to-door. I have seen the Salvation Army doing it.
    They wear all white suits with a splash of red in the collars and up the middle.
    Also, many Baptist churches have done a door-to-door work."

JW: "They have never rang my bell."

OTWO: "You are a pioneer and you are not home that often. Perhaps some
    have rang your bell when you are not home. I imagine any churches in your
    area canvass the area on weekends. Aren't you in service or at the hall during
    those times?"

JW: "They are not doing the work in a worldwide effort like we are. Nobody can
    say that JW's have not rang their bell."

OTWO: "I am sure that isn't true. Even in the United States, there are plenty of
    folks who have not recalled ever being visited by JW's. They are at work or otherwise
    busy at the hours Witnesses ring their bell. Or they have 'Do Not Trespass' signs.
    Leave the United States and other Christian countries and Witnesses are rare.
    I could imagine millions of Middle East citizens never having their bell rung."

JW: "Jehovah will arrange for those people to be reached. Besides, any others are
    not carrying 'the truth' in their door-to-door work."

(Wasting my breath so I will just stop. All she knows at the end of the convo. is that
    nobody is doing the worldwide work except JW's. If someone disagrees, it is time to
    produce a strawman arguement.) END OF DISCUSSION.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

how exactly does a group doing something unprecedented in the Bible make them the truth? The only unique thing about JWs doing door to door is that they count their hours.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I guess they discount the Mormons. And I presume there are other groups that do occasional evangelizing, even within the mainstream religions. The difference is that they are not required to, and they do not count their time.

• oompa
    oompa

hahaha OTWO....lmao....I knew EXACTLY where that was going!....and yeah...ya wanna let it go...but you just CANT!....you have to speak up...me too.....

but wtf are you sitting with them?...in hall!!!......well twin...I told wife to have the elders over to help our marriage!!!!!!!....checkmate.....oompa

• sir82
    sir82
    Nobody can say that JW's have not rang their bell."

By my estimation, there are at least 3 billion people on the earth who have never even heard the name "Jehovah", let alone ever had "their bell rung by a JW".

I would guess that well over 90% of those 3 billion are at best only dimly aware that in "some other part of the world, there is a religion named 'Christianity' ".

JWs are making virtually no headway in preaching in China or Muslim countries outside of Indonesia. And the 25,000 or so JWs in India are all pretty much clustered in the small area which is predominantly Christian, leaving well over a billion other Indians in the dark.

The "worldwide preaching activity of JWs" is one of the bigger myths propagated by the org.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have no idea why JW`s even bother..Door to door is not bible based..They have no idea whats going on in the WBT$..They no longer believe many things,they`ve preached in previous years..Ask them about 1975 and they will say it never happened......A JW at your door is a total waste of time..You're Crazy.................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

The kind of reasoning/logic spoken of by the "pioneer sister" is so typical of Witness logic, isn't it. How frustrating to attempt to point out the flaws in such thinking.

The Witnesses start out with a flawed premise, than all sorts of conclusions can be inferred [the "strawman" argument as you mention]. A Witness could just as easily point to the following that "prove" they have the "truth":

1. They are the only group with men who don't have any facial hair except the odd mustache

2. The only group who have mostly 4-door cars

3. The only group with meeting places having NO windows.

4. The highest, percentage-wise of janitors and landscapers of any religious group

---Dan

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Why am I not surprised with you....lol....your the best damn argument-or going....lol
    Well, good job despite their stand by comments Jh will provide.

cheers!

hope4others

• blondie
    blondie

How many years did jws "preach" this "truth" only to change the "truth" in 1995?

*** w92 8/15 p. 9 From Historic Hospital to Unique Kingdom Hall ***The magazine now known as TheWatchtower is freely available to visitors. Since 1879 this magazine has grown in circulation to over 15 million copies semimonthly in 111 languages. It directs individuals to the Bible’s promise that some of the generation of 1914 will be alive to see good physical and spiritual health restored to mankind.

*** w84 3/1 pp. 18-19 par. 12 Kingdom Unity a Reality Today ***And Jesus has told us to rejoice at seeing the dark storm clouds of Armageddon gathering since that time. He has told us that the "generation" of 1914—the year that the sign began to be fulfilled—"will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34) Some of that "generation" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that!

• oompa
    oompa

That was funny dan....you need to do a list thread we can all add to......."ya might be a JW if you.........."

But i still feel a bit lucky after seeing those unibrow wavehair chicks in the prairewagon dresses down in TX at the FLDS mulit-poontang ranch..........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit