Is Copper theft on the rise in your area ??

by Casper 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Atpeaceatlast
    Atpeaceatlast

The city of Reading, PA has had problems with drug addicts, etc. stealing copper piping out of old, abandoned homes and buildings since Reading has had its share of blight due to the loss of manufacuturing jobs beginning in the 70s. I've heard it's also been happening in some of the city's nearby communities. The police are controlling the problem, though. I just hope it doesn't start in Wernersville.

• Dagney
    Dagney

One of my work divisions is in Memphis. I questioned why the maintenance fee rose so much over last year, like $5K, and they said it was due to copper theft. I never heard of it...give us time here I guess.

They installed cameras on the roof tops to protect the air conditioning units from theft. Who knew!

• Gregor
    Gregor

You name it, they'll steal it. In this area they have stolen the guardrails from overpasses! Of course it's about drugs, but to be specific, it is Meth that is driving these people.

• ninja
    ninja

yeah....the coppers have been stealing stuff over here for years

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Do you know our copper coins (1p & 2p) are now only copper plated steel. This is due to the fact that the weight of the old copper coin is worth more than the face value!

Paul

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yes we have a lot of copper theft - huge billboards warning about the consequences of stealing copper. I never thought about my A/C - it's outside the house, I hope no one steal the tubing. And it didn't occur to me to get a locking gas cap - but you're right. People will be stealing gas and I can't afford to lose a tank full of gas. My last tank went over $60 for the first time.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was talking about the economy with a friend today. I said it seemed to me that people are hunkering down and going into crisis mode. I know I have cut way back on my spending in all areas. It isn't good for business, so it's sort of a downward spiral, the less people spend, the less they earn...

• Casper
    Casper

Trouble with coppers there, Ninja....

It's amazing what they will take, we've even lost a man hole cover or two...sometimes they get very little money for what they are willing to risk to steal this stuff.

I didn't know that about the Penny... Hubby and I questioned that the other day, why no one seemed to care about the 1 cent coin. Now we know...

Hortensia....

Hon, you need to keep an eye on your A/C and get a locking cap....highly recommended in our area by the local police.

Cas

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Yeah its a big problem around here in S. Florida. But the new home building has stopped basically so getting the copper is a bit harder. Its about $2.50 a pound here I think, but now you have to show valid picture ID, they take a photocopy of it, and you have to explain WHERE the copper piping is from. If you cant, they call the police on you. I threw out some scrap aluminum the other day, like maybe four pounds of that, including pieces of siding that had blown into my yard during hurricane Wilma in 05, and it was gone in less than half an hour from the can.

I do think people are getting desperate. With gas as high as it is, Im basically working to own a car between the lease payment, the insurance and now the gas on it.

I have two AC units on my house...Im gonna have to go out there and look at them closer to see if we can secure them somehow.

Comon Obama....get us out of this MESS!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

thanks for the information, I'll have to find out how to secure the a/c. And the gas cap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit