The Watchtower Organization - A Toxic Parental Figure

by Jeremy C 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Perfect, Jeremy C.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Jeremy: Very insightful comments and psychologically sound.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"We are not infallible, we make mistakes. We are not currently making mistakes.
    We are spirit-directed, not inspired. That means our words are our own, but Jehovah
    gives them to us, as opposed to the inspired words of the Bible that are Jehovah's
    words given to men who were allowed to input their own way of writing them. What's
    the difference? Even we don't know."

"We are always currently right. Whatever was wrong about us in the past, you had to
    wait on Jehovah to correct. If you feel something is wrong now, just keep waiting.
    Meanwhile, accept it as correct and right and true."

"If it is discovered that we were wrong, well, that's part of being not infallible and only
    spirit-directed, instead of inspired. The anointed are above reproach, fully tested as to
    fitness, unless there are anointed that are not fully controlled drones. Those ones are
    "nothing special" and are not necessarily more spiritual than others in the congregation.
    Heck, even the sisters can be just as spiritual as the anointed brothers that are not
    yes men."

"Fully examine anything you hear or read before accepting it, that is- if it comes from
    worldly sources. But if it comes from us, trust that we have your best interests in mind.
    Give the benefit of the doubt to us, and to us only. As a matter of safety, don't even keep
    fully testing their worldly stuff once you become a JW. Just stop reading it. Just assume
    it's twisted and Satanic. Our mags and books will quote it if it has any validity. Just
    read our stuff."

"If you obey us, you are spiritual. If you don't cause trouble, but don't do everything we say,
    then you are weak but still okay. If you don't obey us, you are evil. The fault is all yours."

"By the way, keep up with the celestial chariot. Read all the new stuff. Ignore all the old
    stuff, unless we tell you to keep using it."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Much like the adult children of toxic parents, many of us saw that the only recourse for us was to cut off contact with a toxic parental figure, and leave behind the manipulation, coercion, and guilt tactics.

Yep, my parents have a great teacher. I was thinking about giving it another go and contacting my parents...yep I'm a silly hopeful fool...but I think I'm going to give it more time...not for their benefit but for mine

The bOrg I will never give another chance and go back to

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    It's the whole 'why can't you be more like your brother?' thing that dysfunctional parents use.

Excellent commentary. I will repeat some of what I have heard on JWD.

"If some sister in an iron lung can 'preach' why can't you?"
    "If the brothers in a warzone can spread good news, get off your lazy ass and turn the tv off."
    "Others are able to make a living for their family and send the mother and teens out into the
    pioneer work. So should you."
    "That elderly sister/brother is here at every meeting/convention/CA. What's your problem?"
    "All you have to do is everything we tell you to do, like the elders and pioneers do. Then you
    can be promoted in God's organization, also."

• still_in74
    still_in74

I have come to realize that the Watchtower organization is very similar to a toxic parent. One common characteristic of toxic parents is that they are very skilled and adept at manipulating and coercing their children (even adult children) through guilt tactics. They are so good at this, that when their son or daughter protests their manipulative tactics, they will react with righteous indignation, hurt feelings, and a persecution complex. They will then proclaim themselves the victim of unfair criticism; unconsciously attempting to induce even more guilt than before.

The son or daughter eventually learns that the only way to deal with the situation is to greatly limit, or cut off all contact with their toxic parent all together. The toxic parent then continues to lament the unfair treatment that they are getting. They simply do not have the ability to demonstrate personal responsibility and honest self-appraisal.

you know my mother?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    you know my mother?

I think our mothers are sisters....wait a minute...they are! lol

• Roski
    Roski

So - for those of us raised in the org. we get to have two sets of toxic parents...maybe that explains a lot :-)

• heybaby
    heybaby

Perfect!

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

guilt or inspiration - its all in your perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit