The Watchtower Organization - A Toxic Parental Figure

by Jeremy C 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Almost everyone who leaves the Watchtower organization acknowledges the fact that the Jehovah’s Witnesses leadership is quite masterful when it comes to using guilt as a means of motivation and coercion. Throughout the Watchtower articles, convention talks, and talks given by traveling overseers, there are often statements woven into the material that are designed to evoke feelings of guilt in those who are not robotically falling in line with all organizational programs and group-think.

In addition to the many clichés, buzzwords, and catch-phrases used in Watchtower material, the organization also makes comparisons between the field service activities of Witnesses in one part of the world to another part of the world. The purpose of course, is to make the friends in the more affluent / advanced country feel guilt for not putting in as many hours as the friends in the less affluent country. How may of us have heard a traveling overseer lament the "low field service hours" by comparing them to the hours turned in by friends in some war-torn country? The examples could fill an entire library.

I have come to realize that the Watchtower organization is very similar to a toxic parent. One common characteristic of toxic parents is that they are very skilled and adept at manipulating and coercing their children (even adult children) through guilt tactics. They are so good at this, that when their son or daughter protests their manipulative tactics, they will react with righteous indignation, hurt feelings, and a persecution complex. They will then proclaim themselves the victim of unfair criticism; unconsciously attempting to induce even more guilt than before.

The son or daughter eventually learns that the only way to deal with the situation is to greatly limit, or cut off all contact with their toxic parent all together. The toxic parent then continues to lament the unfair treatment that they are getting. They simply do not have the ability to demonstrate personal responsibility and honest self-appraisal.

I believe that the Watchtower organization is virtually the same. In similar fashion, the organizational leadership believes that its members are fair game for constant critiquing, prodding, coercion, and guilt inducement. But let any members dare to protest such coercive methods, and the leadership immediately plays the "fault-finder" card.

Like the toxic parent, they accuse the members of having an "independent spirit" and showing an ungrateful attitude for the "timely counsel from the Slave". It is okay for the leadership to have a fault-finding attitude toward the rank and file members, but the rank and file must never show a fault-finding attitude towards them. This isn't enough. They feel it necessary to lament and chastise those who have left the organization as ungrateful malcontents who "did not want to serve shoulder to shoulder with their brothers". Honest self-appraisal by the organizational leadership seems sorely lacking.

Much like the adult children of toxic parents, many of us saw that the only recourse for us was to cut off contact with a toxic parental figure, and leave behind the manipulation, coercion, and guilt tactics.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Well said

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Spot on! And toxic parents often play one child against another. This is what the WTS does as well. They hold up examples of "exemplary service" of an individual, territory, or country and gush and gloat over them. Then they point out the faults of the audience's territories. It's the whole 'why can't you be more like your brother?' thing that dysfunctional parents use.

The deficient person then feels guilty, on the defensive, and brow beaten.

Yup. Makes perfect sense.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    They hold up examples of "exemplary service" of an individual, territory, or country and gush and gloat over them. Then they point out the faults of the audience's territories. It's the whole 'why can't you be more like your brother?' thing that dysfunctional parents use.

Yes, this is precisely what I have seen numerous times. At the last Circuit Assembly that I attended, the District Overseer lamented the attendance figures for the circuit, and compared them with the figures of one of the local Spanish circuits.

Do you know what the attendance figures were that he was bemoaning? 87% First of all, its amazing that anyone would BMW about figures that are actually high. Second, he noted that the Spanish figures were over 100%.

What these juvenile and reactionary overseers do not take into consideration is that Spanish congregations are receiving much greater influxes of interested ones than are the English.

I must say . . . . the organization has trained their minions well.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Excellent analogy - sounds like someone went to counselling or has been training in that field the way you speak of it.

Nothing is ever good enough for Jehovahs organization. If you can't make it, just remember it's always your fault because Jehovah helps the faithful. (tm)

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Good analogy..

I've always felt intimidated by the experiences given by individuals on the platform at assemblies and conventions. "I've had every disease, no car, no job, no roof over my head, but I still put Jehovah first and I put in 100 hours a week in field service and have a gazillion bible studies started." - And I'm sittin' there like, how am I supposed to compete with that???

And please don't let me complain about anything like driving 80 miles to and from the DC, lest I be accused of "murmuring"...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have heard all those experiences. And I bet they are all fake. The person never really had all those obstacles, or they never put in that many genuine obstacles, or they made unsustainable efforts to make it. It all comes down to cost/benefit. Those people might find it worth putting 100 hours a week no matter what--but if I don't, there is no reason why I should compete.

And there could well be something new. As "secret" societies abound (and some are actually quite liberating and good), they will start having people that claim to have been in one and left it for the washtowel slaveholdery, preferring the washtowel (a blatant lie--the person was coerced or forced back to the washtowel, and really prefers the "secret" society's freedom). And there will be fake "experiences" where someone in one of those "secret societies" was supposedly forced to have sex with some "filthy worldly pig" that in fact the person was attracted to (and never was forced), only to be rescued by the Washtowel Slaveholdery. These experiences are FAKES!

I wonder how many other experiences like these are fakes. Any time someone's life is dramatically "improved" upon joining, ask how. If the "improvement" is that they are now pioneering or having so many studies, that is not genuine improvement. Rather, the person is likely to actually be stagnant. When I joined the "secret society", I saw one person that had left the witlesses for that same society that was suicidal upon joining the witlesses, and stagnant while a witless. (Names are withheld to protect privacy). And on this board are many people that have left the witlesses and are finding life better outside, even though they have to make the adjustment, and that they had hell while in. That is the kind of experiences you will not hear at the Grand Boasting Sessions.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I know my toxic Mom learned a lot from the WT. As time passes and she mellows out, she is less and less like them. And more and more like a loving parent.

Isaac

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

A while back I posted a couple of threads based on Dr. Susan Forward's book Toxic Parents

Toxic Parents Toxic Religion 1

Toxic Parents Toxic Religion 2

The parallels are amazing. When I began to find out how dysfunctional Russell and Rutherford were it made perfect sense that their organization was as toxic as it is

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

a religion is an extended family

a cult is an extended family gone bad.

pretty simple.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit