Does anyone else have a problem with conformity?

by milligal 40 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

AMEN! WOO-HOO!! Let's hear it for progress!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

hark...I hear another 20 year old on the board

I'm going to shake it up no matter where I am. I am philosophically opposed to conservative thinking so if I lived in the south I would be in your face 27/7. I'm here to be heard, not to coddle old world thinking or "comfort zone" people. I don't respect comfort zone dwellers. They're the ones who keep clinging to the old ways and refuse to evolve.

Fortunately I live in CA. I do have a hard time conforming to any norm. In fact I would say I am hyper sensitive to anyone trying to tell me what to do. As for taboos, I am here to destroy them. That is why I am for gay marriage, legalizing marijuana (incidentally, thank you Humbolt County for years of botanical support) and against a slew of other mindless dark ages laws.

Peace love dope... go back to the 60's... please.

Hill

• White Dove
    White Dove

I want people to join me or leave me alone in what I do that they may not agree with. I don't need any Bible thumping zealots telling me my business like god gave them that right. God most certainly did not give them that right! Opinionated people irritate me and make me not want to listen to them. I don't push my thoughts onto them and don't want them to push theirs onto me. It's simple. I'm never in anyone's face and don't want them in mine.

• milligal
    milligal

I was thinking about this yesterday afternoon and I came to the conclusion that it takes all types HOWEVER, aren't we all trying to progress, evolve, reach the next level or whatever? Even people who promote conformity or obedience, when you look around you, you must see problems you'd like to change and that means people have to change.

I agree with the thinking that you can disagree respectfully, and some of the greatest contributors to our society DaVinci, Einstein, JFK (hope I'm not stepping on a landmine here) were all non-conformists who broke the mold...

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

It seems to me to be a "NON- conformist" you would have had to learn to conform at one time? If a persone wants to break the mold and fix the problems, be a leader etc etc et al... he needs to know what the mold does.

This excuse for "liberal" parenting creates chaos.

Hill

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Conformity is for the hive and the hive minded drones.

But...it never hurts to drive on the same side of the road as everyone else.

Those who despise "californicators" may take heart in knowing that California is getting heavily "mexifornicated" these days.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Those who despise "californicators" may take heart in knowing that California is getting heavily "mexifornicated" these days.

Is it just me or does that sound highly sexual

• trevor
    trevor
    For example, I went to my new Dr. after moving here, she told my 3 year son to sit down and be quiet during the appointment.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

I was raised a JW in the suburbs of a Southern state, very much in the Bible belt. My mother was a Northerner who moved south to pioneer. I think she was a bit of a non-conformist and passed that trait on to us kids.

Early on I took a hostile view to Southern religiousity that stayed with me for most of my life. I was taught that the only friends I could have were JW's, so I made no efforts to be friendly with other people. Being a Witness meant being a non-conformist in the greater community.

While I did make friends among JW's, I found conformity to the Theocratic Treadmill tiresome and unfulfilling. I also questioned the nature of community among the Witnesses and found it somewhat lacking.

My experience in life so far has taught me that tolerance for the differences of others is an important trait. It's something I'm still working on, having come from such an intolerant religion and upbringing. The more tolerance I express towards others, the more tolerance I am shown in return. Tolerance is a far stronger basis for community than conformity.

Dave

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

"Conformity is for the hive and the hive minded drones.

But...it never hurts to drive on the same side of the road as everyone else.

Those who despise "californicators" may take heart in knowing that California is getting heavily "mexifornicated" these days."

And yet, bees have successfully survived for millions of years with their "hive-mindedness." Fascinating, isn't it?

I think it's about respect. Some people have achieved some success in life that they at least partially attribute to their "WAY of life." If someone exists within a system that works for them, who am I to disrupt their lives? Diversity is good; being disruptive can get you hurt...or killed. It could be that there's a time coming where "conformity" may actually be the purest form of "non-conformity." Thinking "outside-the-box" isn't just jumping from one box to another box that, for the time being, suits your fancy.

As Dave so aptly put it (nicely stated, Dave): "My experience in life so far has taught me that tolerance for the differences of others is an important trait. It's something I'm still working on, having come from such an intolerant religion and upbringing. The more tolerance I express towards others, the more tolerance I am shown in return. Tolerance is a far stronger basis for community than conformity."

Be as non-conformist as you like. But if you come into my space or my home to forcefully interject your life into mine, there will likely be some very "unpleasant" consequences. If someone chooses to "act out" in the neighborhood or community, he can certainly take responsibility for the results.

Carlos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit