tired and disappointed with the door to door

by buffalosrfree 26 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I hated going door to door. About the only thing I hoped for was that no one would ever be home, or that people would be Not Interested. If someone came to the door and started talking a while, I would hate it when every time it was about to wind down, they came up with a new point.

All of it is for problems created where none needed to exist. The core rule of morality is so easy to understand that a child can figure it out. No one gives a fxxx about all the Davidic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, [insert term]. Most of the "deeper things" are things used to waste time learning, and they will flipflop later. And they have absolutely nothing to do with any issues at hand. For sure, it would not take me any hour and a half at the door to teach anyone the basic code of morality.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I have also started to think that it is not nessesary to go so often back to the territory, because Jesus said: If they do not receive you, go out from that city and wipe off the dust from your feet. Luke 10:10,11

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

think, too, it is absolutely demoralizing to be out on a "holiday" having to muster the gall to intrude on people's celebrations...

bad enough there is not any interest, but to have to present yourself as the total wet blanket at a festive event..... talk about p!ssing on the campfire....

maybe this could be the dawning of awareness.....

One of my worst experiences ever was being lured / guilt tripped into going out on Christmas morning. It wasn't the fact that we literally had our lives threatened, but that I felt that we were being totally disrespectful to people and their families who held this day as special or even sacred. My gut belief was that there is a time and a place for everything and this showed a lack of basic discretion and respect. Who would even listen to a message when basic courtesy and respect is ignored?

Something else I never understood was why this activity is constantly peddled as "refreshing" or "a privelege". I thought I must be missing something because this is the worst part of being an active JW and I cringe when I think about going out in FS.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Despite their pathetic attempt to introduce this idea into "scripture" via mistranslation of the Apostle Paul, there is certainly not an early Christian tradition of selling magazines like the old Gritz newspaper from door to door.

This is "christian peddling" - nothing more, nothing less. It is not a sacred act of worship, any more than holding a tupperware party with your next door neighbor and her friends.

Mormonism made the comment (on their similar Missionary guys) that in fact far fewer than one of one thousand persons contacted actually respond to the message. Yet, and they say it themselves, "it remains an important rite of passage for young men in the Mormon Church".

At least they can sort of see this for what it is - unlike the poor JW herds.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

How is it that Jehovah draws people out of the world through a couple of
    strange people waking them up with this cornball magazine or leaving a
    flyer under the matt?

Why is it that Jehovah is more interested in those of Christendom than
    He is in Muslims or Buddists or others in regions of the world without many
    members of Christendom?

Why would we expect someone who has never spoken to JW's to respond
    to an invitation to go to 3 days of religious lecture from those strange people,
    when the invitation is simply left under the matt? And the lectures are often
    more than 100 miles away.

Why is d-d work so important that pioneers go out every weekday morning
    when virtually nobody is home? (Caution- questions on this just lead to
    them saying YOU should do a more productive work. Make sure the point
    is that MOST JW's continue to do this work this way.)

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

After moving from the freezing NE of Boston, to the great big sauna of Houston, I was MORE than happy to do RV, bathroom break or some other BS reason NOT to being doing d2d at 1030 or so. My nice blue dress shirts would go from light blue to a horrible dark blue under the arms and around the neck. I can't say the sisters were impressed with my GQ ,not !!! Pioneering got realy old after about the second month, and I'd do my best to act as if I couldn't remember how to find it my RV

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

Something else I never understood was why this activity is constantly peddled as "refreshing" or "a privelege". I thought I must be missing something because this is the worst part of being an active JW and I cringe when I think about going out in FS.

Independant_tre you hit the nail on the head there. I too coukld never figure out why it was viewed as so special to oartake in Service. If anything I felt as if I were working TWO jobs 7 days a week, because when most normal people took their Saturday and sunday off, I was out with bags under my eyes waking up people who were smart enough to sleep in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit