tired and disappointed with the door to door

by buffalosrfree 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Many Witnesses are afraid of serious Biblical questions or objections being raised by the householders. Part of it is from an obsessive fear of "apostate-like" people; but some of it is from being ill-equipped to discuss doctrinal issues using only the Bible.

How many JWs can have an in-depth discussion with a householder on the topic of being declared righteous through faith in Jesus, for example? How does a JW explain (using only the Bible) that one must declare that they are being baptized into an organization in order to qualify for Christian baptism? 1914 chronology creates migraines for most JWs. How do they explain it using the Bible? Many cannot. This is why the Reasoning Book is so crucial. But whipping out the Reasoning Book to try to explain a doctrine that is supposedly well-grounded in Scripture creates dissonance for some. And to most people at the doors who know a lot about the Bible, it looks idiotic and cultic.

The door-to-door work does require salesmanship, whether they like it or not. It absolutely requires that one be able to verbally tap-dance around troubling organizational issues. This is very tiring for many JWs.

It is not Satan and the demons making people tired and weary of the preaching work. It is the energy they must expend, and the sophistry that they must employ to sell a new gospel that is the problem.

• Perry
    Perry
    It is not Satan and the demons making people tired and weary of the preaching work. It is the energy they must expend, and the sophistry that they must employ to sell a new gospel that is the problem.

AMEN to that brother!!!

• Gerard
    Gerard
    About the time he finished saying hello he shoved a Watchtower in my hands and was walking away. It was very rude.

I never let them place literature on me. They always say something like: "I'm sorry it is a bad time. Here, have this and I will be gone". I don't touch their print and I slam the door. Treat telemarketers as they treat you.

• sspo
    sspo

I've been told many times that D-D witnessing is the most ineffective form of reaching people and it seems that GB still doesn't get it.

They stubbornly hang on to it to keep the rank and file busy, wasting time and money.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Door to door has been ineffective for many years. I can't imagine spending the money that gas costs today on driving around wasting time. I often got stuck driving and there are those who never share the cost of gas.

If the society wants to "lesson the burden" on the dubs, they would eliminate service rather than the book study.

• Terry
    Terry

Several weeks ago, two young sisters came to the door and gave the lamest presentation I've yet heard. Simply inept from a "preaching" standpoint. In essence, they simply offered the magazines and failed to mention the "donation" aspect.

They seemed to know next to nothing. I'm being kind here, actually.

I threw a few softball questions and toyed awhile before the reveal: I'm an EX-JW.

One seemed instantly terrified and the other merely curious.

I gave a polite, friendly conversation and nothing harsh for them to chew on. I simply stated that once I had investigated honestly the basis for 607 B.C.E. it gave me the courage to see misrepresentation. Misrepresentation broke faith with me and I with them.

I told them, each person has their own comfort level with duplicity or proof and the measure of our integrity is our willingness or unwillingness to make reality the final determiner of our belief.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I never saw a JW in my congregation who wasn't relieved to get the d2d work out of the way on Saturday mornings. They didn't say it in words, but body language speaks volumes.

When my teenage group of friends and I (JWs all) used to go to movies, ice skating, or other g-rated fun on weekend nights, we never, ever, talked about anything remotely connected with JWs. It was a relief not to have that crap hanging over our heads, even if for just a short time.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I sucked at d2d so badly it was embarrassing. I never got the hang of it even after a year of PI'ing. I was pathetic and thought that I must not have as much faith as the others who were really good at it (or so I thought). They always made it as smooth as an assembly part. My experiences PI'ing actually fed into the idea that they are not the happiest people on earth nor do they have a monopoly on love. They hate one another much of the time PI'ing.

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

I was a fucking pirahna(sp?). A cocky son of a bitch. I'd smart off to householders all the time. I liked to have the last word. I can't believe I was never punched out.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok well do the GB go door to door? If they did they might get it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit