Singing at the Meetings is so mindless...

by logic&reason 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I was always uncomfortable singing at the meetings when I was a kid. As an adult, I rarely if ever sing anymore because I think it is a joke. There is no life to the music, no emotion, no "soul".

Stand up, Sing for 5 minutes

Sit down, listen for 45 minutes

Sit down, listen for 45 minutes

Lather, rinse, repeat.

My wife used to get upset at me for not singing and I would tell her that I just don't like to sing. But that's not really true. I like to sing along to a good song if I am alone in the car, or if I am at a concert. I just don't like to sing boring, non-melodic, propaganda songs at the hall.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Yeah, I didn't realize just how mindless it is until I took a friend to a meeting while I was fading - he was like "I can't believe how CRAZY these lyrics are!" I was like "Lyrics?" I guess I just sang them my whole life, thinking I was paying attention to the words, but not really!

So glad I don't have to sing that drivel anymore! JW's are fooling themselves if they think that is good music!

Rachel

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Too true. People at the hall just stand there like robots reading out of their songbooks. That's not what music and singing should be like.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I remember the pink book not being so bad, and there used to be someone that played the piano. Later with the new yellowish goldish tanish book it was dull, all the new songs were terrible.

Thinking back, I agree some of the lyrics were crazy. "Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul. Faithful to the end continue..." O_o

• restrangled
    restrangled

Music is part of worship.....to make it sound ugly and contrived,... to me, takes away from this gift from god, and the witnesses have that down pat! They have some of the worst stuff going.....!

I'll never forget...hearing about the new songs "Professionally written"! What a joke, they sounded so ugly, it wasn't even close. I wonder what God must think of the hideous music.

I have heard choirs in other churches that bring tears to my eyes. The witnesses's music makes me cringe. I wonder if God is covering his ears in horror......

r.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    Thinking back, I agree some of the lyrics were crazy. "Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul. Faithful to the end continue..." O_o

I wish I could remember what songs we were singing that night. I remember him pointing out the actual lyrics, and I felt kind of shocked that they really were nuts when I thought about them!

I got rid of my songbook because I couldn't stomach it. Now I sort of wish I had it for reference. Oh well!

• blondie
    blondie

Many are impossible to sing. The change to singing to tapes and then CDs depersonalized it even more. I remember some older jws singing harmony and being counseled to stop. In Africa they sing accapella (sp?) and several harmonies. I wonder if they were told to stop?

Can you imagine the jws in the US staying to practice the songs?

*** w98 3/1 p. 17 Appreciating Christian Gatherings ***Reports an elder serving in one of the Soweto congregations of Gauteng, South Africa: "In a congregation with 60 Witnesses and unbaptized publishers, we have between 70 and 80, and sometimes more, attending our meetings. Although the brothers and sisters do not travel far to attend, the situation in this part of Soweto is rough. One brother was stabbed in the back while walking to a meeting. At least two sisters were grabbed in an attempt to rob them. But this does not stop them from coming. On Sundays, we have a short song practice after we have closed the meeting with prayer. At least 95 percent regularly stay behind and sing all the songs to be used in meetings the following week. This helps newly interested ones to learn the songs and sing along."
  • logic&reason
    logic&reason

Not only do the songs REALLY suck, but there is no emotional impact to the singing at all. No harmony, no depth. Every meeting it's like listening to 3 funeral dirges.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Didn't you like to sing "Keep your eyes on da pies"?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Many are impossible to sing. The change to singing to tapes and then CDs depersonalized it even more. I remember some older jws singing harmony and being counseled to stop.

Now that's just evil. Singing the harmonies was the only ways to make the songs mildly interesting...it also bugged me that everyone will sing certain parts wrongly, whereas I know what to do...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit