Oil Execs Defend Huge Profits Before Senate

by momzcrazy 143 Replies latest social current

• Highlander
    Highlander
    The problem with scooters is that outside the "downtown" area, they can't keep up with traffic and end up causing more congestion, which is kind of amazing because when you visit European cities, hundreds of scooters are zipping around all over and the cars are in the way.

If your scooter can't keep up, then buy a bigger scooter.

This scooter, will do more than 100 mph. I know, I have one. It also cut my fuel bill from 1000 dollars per month with my camry, to 300 per month.(I drive between 60,000 and 70,000 miles annually)

Don't like the rain or the cold? Try dressing warmer.

Roads to slippery? Put a side car on your motorcycle.(my grandpa rode his harley with a sidecar during cold midwest winters)

I really wish everyone on this board that bitches about prices, would instead present their own solutions that they've implemented into their own lives.(thanks Gill) Instead, posters like sammielee prefer to blame everyone else(oil companies, government, mideast countries, etc.) while predicting that a financial armageddon is right around the corner. I'm sure 5go is on his way to give his two cents into the impending financial armageddon. It's almost here! We're in the last minutes of the last days! We're doomed!

It's time for everyone in North America to take a field trip around the world. You will soon learn that most products you buy here are very cheap. Those same products purchashed in another country, costs the consumer much more while they make much less. Yet, I rarely see non-american posters on this board complaining like their american counterparts.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    I would love to see gasoline in the US hit $5 a gallon. Even $6 a gallon would be fine with me.

Amen to that. I couldn't agree more. Only then will people have incentive to stop their bitching and make changes in their personal lives. The market provides what the consumer wants. The geo metro, a very fuel efficient and very affordable 3 cylinder vehicle was discontinued because of poor sales. Now that fuel is too high, you all bitch that there aren't any affordable, fuel efficient vehicles available. It isn't the manufacturers fault. They gave you what you wanted! Soon there will be more fuel efficient vehicles in the market. This time, let's buy them and keep buying them so that they are not discontinued.

• Warlock
    Warlock

India, China, and the emerging Third World.

That's some of what you need to know.

You can either bitch about it, or get involved in it.

Your choice.

Warlock

• Gopher
    Gopher
    India, China, and the emerging Third World.

Oh do tell -- how is the average American supposed to "get involved" in "it"? What is the "it" to which you refer?

• Mary
    Mary
    I would love to see gasoline in the US hit $5 a gallon. Even $6 a gallon would be fine with me. If you don't like it, take the bus, train, subway, or carpool.

Perhaps you haven't been reading some of the posts on here: I would be happy to take public transportation, but there isn't any around here. We have one public bus that runs once an hour. That's it. North American society is not designed the same way it is in Europe. Our public transportation system sucks dead rocks because the government has little interest in subsidizing it and would prefer to see everyone drive their vehicles, because that way, they get more tax dollars out of us. The only city here in southern Ontario that has a subway system is Toronto. That's it.

Even a trip to the grocery store has to be done by vehicle because there's no sidewalks between my house and the store (unless you'd like to suggest that I take my life in my hands by walking on the road). This is an all too common theme around here and for someone to suggest that it's the fault of the greedy consumer is just ludicrous.

It is ludicrous to suggest that "demand" has doubled over the last 2 or 3 years when it was relatively stable for years previously. Like I've already said, OPEC has already admitted that they slashed production simply so they can keep the prices artifically high and the obscene profits they're raking in shows that they weren't lying. It's not much different than what those bastards at Enron did with the 'rolling blackouts' in California years ago and is nothing more than corporate greed.

Yes, let's have gasoline prices rocket even further to $5.00 or $6.00 a gallon so that people don't have 2 cents to rub together by the end of the month. Would that make you happy?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Gas has already hit $5 per gallon in some parts of the USA. Here is the thing, our country was not developed around a public transit system. In some countries, like China, they do not build a factory until after public transit is in place. In our country, factories are built where ever land is cheapest and public transit is not even an after thought. Changing that structure, now, after this infrastructure is in place ... is near impossible!

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I cannot believe you people who would like to see gas at $5 or $6 a gallon ! Are you really that myopic and thoughtless or do you just like to see people suffer ? Okay, brainiacs, here's one for ya.How are plumbers, electricians,construction,landscapers and many others in public service supposed to get around ? Do you suppose the train tracks runs right up to someone's house ? Or maybe they can strap a ladder and heavy equipment on top of the bus ?

Some can hardly feed their own kids or buy clothes.What happens when they get sick ? I guess those of "lower class" aren't worth much, so just let them suffer ? Even many of the socalled "middle class" have taken a big hit.Some medication is extremely expensive and can drain a person's wallet in no time, gas prices just create a greater strain.It seems that maybe you just like to here about suffering as you adhere to your own self-righteous views.Animal shelters suffer because of lack of donations, as do other charities which feel the pinch because people are worried about gas prices and paying their own bills.America is a BIG country and many areas don't have public transportation.Increased gas prices will be transferred from taxi's, buses, etc. onto those using them...unless they find a way to make them run on STUPID because then they can just plug 'em into you guys.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Huh? Sorry but the 'only' ones that can reduce demand are individuals and businesses. The 'only' ones that can increase supply are oil companies. If you don't like the price of something, and don't feel it is worth it, don't buy it. I would love to see gasoline in the US hit $5 a gallon. Even $6 a gallon would be fine with me. If you don't like it, take the bus, train, subway, or carpool.

Well - inflation and unemployment is already running up daily so I guess you are right - raise the cost even more and let's take all the trucks off the road. Let's push even more people into tent cities or into parking lots to live. Let's close a few more stores and throw those businesses out. Let's freeze a few more folk out - those old people don't really need to be warm do they?

Quite obviously if a person lives near major transit centers, they would be wise to use them. Quite obviously for those that can car pool, it would be a great option. Unfortunately you are a system connected by roads with massive sprawl and half the population has to travel to earn a living. My father used to take a room and board in the city he worked in as it was 4 hours a day travel..he came home on the weekends. Years later, he made the trek and carpooled with a bunch of other guys - when he could shift at the same time. Moving closer to work wasn't feasible and was tried...costs outweighed benefit. We aren't unfamiliar with the concept - a lot of families live that way and always have - but to make this sort of comment is a lot less productive than holding the government and the corporations accountable for their refusal to work with, enact laws or plan infrastructures that promote greener environments all way around.

Gas jumped 10 cents overnight ....of course the long weekend had nothing to do with it did it? Sorry..I just don't buy that demand soared to a 25 cent increase in the space of 3 days...in fact 11 million people travelled less this past April than did last year - the biggest drop since 1942. There are many solutions but until the people that lead the way start to actively make the changes, I hardly think the answer is to push the US into a prolonged and severe recession by hoping the cost keeps rising. sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is a prime example of corporate greed at it's worst. They take a commodity that society has basically made us all dependent on, then they've slashed production and have skyrocketed the prices and are lining their already mega-rich pockets, with even more of the green stuff.

This is true. And I add again that Bush, Cheney, Condi Rice and some of Bush's original cabinet were all involved with big oil companies before Bush hit office. This is so full of dead stinkin' fish it could fill the Great Lakes. Anyone smell something extremely fishy?

For Highlander, you should realize that America's economy is huge and it is all intertwined with the world economy. With the inflation the high price of oil is causing, and if it continues at this rate, our economy will collapse and the dominoes will fall in every direction, including yours. The whole world economy is in danger of collapsing should this continue.

Soooo, what is the outcome of this congress question session?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The geo metro, a very fuel efficient and very affordable 3 cylinder vehicle was discontinued because of poor sales. Now that fuel is too high, you all bitch that there aren't any affordable, fuel efficient vehicles available. It isn't the manufacturers fault. They gave you what you wanted! Soon there will be more fuel efficient vehicles

Puleeze.....I know 2 people who owned Geo's only because they wanted to save on gas - the cars couldn't take the usage and broke down constantly after only a year. Know what the guy at the dealership told them ??? The GEO (and most cheap cars) were 'throw away' cars - in other words, you save NO money buying one. You save gas, the car is worthless in a few years and it gets junked. I had a small Omni and my brother the smallest Honda you could get - my Omni ran well for 3 years and then the cost of repairs was more than the thing was worth..the Honda lasted longer. The manufacturer could at any time continue to work toward more gas efficient cars, better quality small cars - the consumer buys what is made - if it ain't there, you can't buy it.

I believe that half of the oil is used for transportation and heating - jet fuel takes up a pretty good percentage world wide. Perhaps some better places to look for savings would be the amount of air travel for a start. There was a time when flying was for the privileged few - not so now. The air is jammed pack full of aircraft. How much oil is used in the space program? How much is used for cruising and personal watercraft? Travelling for leisure has escalated and perhaps that is one way to start cutting back because whereas many people have no choice but to use the roads for things like jobs and school, tourism by flight is a definite choice but again, I doubt it's one that people will want to make. They might buy that cheaper on gas car and then negate the real difference by getting on a plane twice a year for a vacation. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit