Oil Execs Defend Huge Profits Before Senate

by momzcrazy 143 Replies latest social current

• 5go
    5go

It's been done before and it could have been done now. It still can. That's all I'm saying. I still maintain that, even though it will take decades to integrate new technology, new energy into our infrastructure, it can be done. But the longer we wait to work on solving those technologies, the longer and more expensive it will be, for the average consumer.

That is why I keep getting on those that talking crap about Jimmy Carter. He was the last true leader the US had as a president. If they people of the US would of followed his lead. We wouldn't be in this predicament and fighting in another Vietnam style war. But no the US didn't want that, it wanted what Reagan and the NeoCons offered. Which was cheap energy forever via taking it militarily from lesser countries. While at the same time running up huge debts. Now the US is paying for it's idiocy, and has no one else to blame but themselves.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    You didn't want to 'deal with living in the city' so why should you think poeple and your govt. now should care about your 'deal with living in the suburbs'? I don't get it.

Perhaps all those good people who CHOOSE to live in the farmlands, in the rural towns and villages that actually grow your food, butcher your cows and gather up your milk for you should ask themselves why they should care about your existence. Those little towns and villages are quite self sustaining if they all choose to revert back to taking care of themselves and screw the cities. Do you honestly think that New York, London, Los Angeles - any city could survive without food being TRANSPORTED into it for you? Do you honestly think that just because a person lives inside a city that they will grow their own vegetables - in a high rise?? Think again. Restaurants would close up, no fast foods, no small markets - perhaps all the lowly rural folk that you keep downgrading, perhaps all those people who COULD NOT find a job near their place of work, people who have a job but cannot find a place to live close by that they can afford - perhaps all of them could shut down the services you take forgranted. Any idea on the number of people that would not survive? Maybe 1 mile isn't too far to walk to get the groceries...I'd like to see how many of those living in cities would think walking 20 miles to get out into the farmlands to buy their food could do it.

Let's bear in mind as well the rising crime rate as everything becomes more expensive. Already gas is being siphoned from cars and at least one huge truck actually had holes drilled in his tank and the gas bled out, 3 homes that I heard of have been burglarized and no they didn't take the television - they stole some clothes and cleaned out the cupboards...prices rise, unemployment rises and suddenly those with cars to drive and gas in them, restaurant patrons - the haves in general, they become targets of crime as the playing field tilts more and more out of balance. That is the reality of surging gas prices.

Rumor has it that 7 million people died during the last Great Depression - most of those who survived and survived well in regards to food, were farmers. Not city folk. All the hybrid cars in the world aren't going to save you if those people raising your food suddenly stop shipping to you - and those same people could car less then if your car were to get 50 or 100 miles to the gallon - they'd have food and you'd be starving..but you'd still be able to afford the gas....

• Highlander
    Highlander

All you speculative doom and gloom folks are quite depressing and pessimistic. I'm heading off to the kingdom hall to be cheered up.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Sammielee, your rant aside, who do you really think is more harmful to these farmers you have posted about? Me - someone who uses public transportation regularly, shops at the local farmer's market 1 1/2 blocks from my house twice per week, household that has one car that barely drives much? Or, a typical exurbanite, driving 35 miles or more one way to work, in a household with 2 or more vehicles, at least one an SUV or truck, that shops at supermarkets like WalMart, and waters / fertilizes their 1/2 acre lot of grass? Who competes more for those resources farmers need like gas, water, and fertilizers? Who buys locally? Which one puts more pressure on developers to buy farmers out and turn into cookie cutter housing, and the resulting strip malls, roads, and highways on the fringes of cities thereby driving up land / agriculture costs?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Rumor has it that 7 million people died during the last Great Depression - most of those who survived and survived well in regards to food, were farmers. Not city folk.

Same thing happened in Cuba after the revolution. When the Communists started rationing food and city people started starving, the campesinos could at least surreptitiously grow some corn and beans and survive.

BTS

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Sammielee, your rant aside, who do you really think is more harmful to these farmers you have posted about? Me - someone who uses public transportation regularly, shops at the local farmer's market 1 1/2 blocks from my house twice per week, household that has one car that barely drives much? Or, a typical exurbanite, driving 35 miles or more one way to work, in a household with 2 or more vehicles, at least one an SUV or truck, that shops at supermarkets like WalMart, and waters / fertilizes their 1/2 acre lot of grass? Who competes more for those resources farmers need like gas, water, and fertilizers? Who buys locally? Which one puts more pressure on developers to buy farmers out and turn into cookie cutter housing, and the resulting strip malls, roads, and highways on the fringes of cities thereby driving up land / agriculture costs?

First of all - you assume far too much. Not every person out there is driving a big truck or SUV. Secondly, it's the presumptive arrogance that some people seem to have in that they feel they must elevate themselves to the status of superior beings, simply because they walk instead of drive, or use cloth bags instead of plastic or drive a hybrid instead of gas fed, average car. The bottom line is that for anyone to say that their fervent wish is that gas increase to the point that it would drive people out of their businesses, out of their homes, out of their jobs - the fact that some people would sumgly declare that 'they could care less' about the impact on people by implying that people are somehow stupid or lazy or inept, is mind boggling. The fact that rising gas prices equal rising heating costs for people that don't have a choice and that someone could say they could care less - well, the lack of comprehension, compassion and compromise is astounding. The fact that rising gas prices mean higher food costs for struggling families when there are 17 million people in this country already going hungry - and someone can say that they still hope that gas keeps rising - well what can I say about those sort of people? Their words speak for themselves.

My 'rant' was against the callousness of the comments - quite obviously I, like everyone else, hope the day comes that the governments take seriously their role in motivating and legislating solutions to the energy problems in all ways - but in the meantime, I will recognize the capabilities and abilites of the majority of the people as they try to make it through some difficult times.

I walked to work for 10 years, have never owned an SUV nor a truck - doesn't make me special, doesn't make me better - most certainly it doesn't make me gleeful over someone else's misery. I don't wish hard times on any person and I certainly am not about to blame every person out there for driving what they do. Those who can afford it will simply cash out and buy something else - those at the bottom will suffer for the lack of leadership in their respective countries. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Same thing happened in Cuba after the revolution. When the Communists started rationing food and city people started starving, the campesinos could at least surreptitiously grow some corn and beans and survive.

BTS

I know farm families who remained healthy during the depression - they were used to hard work and had everything they needed on the farm. Made their own soap, slaughtered their own cows, fresh milk. My father was raised in a city, an old tenement and it was pretty rough as they eventually lived in a tent for a while. He used to talk about the men begging for a cup of hot water into which they would put a little ketchup to make a watery tomato drink. Beggars at the door asking for food and willing to do some small job for a potato or a slice of bread. Those are the families of today, the people who scraped by for years, some of whom fought in wars for their countries, who watched children die, who moved to places so their families could live better - and those are the people we don't want to hear complaints from as they watch the prices of gas rise and food? As they struggle to heat their homes? Blame them because they dare have made a choice to live outside a city? Blame them because they made decisions based on what they had then and where they are now? What kind of society have we become...? sammieswife.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

Get real. 'The Depression' was 75 years ago. An American invoking such vivid images of poverty is a joke. Whining over $4 gasoline when it's $10 and $11 in Europe, and people are starving in Africa and parts of Asia really is a trip. LOL, woe is me says the average American. The wealthiest group on the planet. Boo hoo, they can't afford to drive 180,000 miles a year for under $1 a gallon.

Yes, I still hope gasoline hits $6 a gallon. Americans are lazy. They expect a free ride. Guess what? Driving 25,000 miles a year in each of 2 large cars / trucks, isn't sustainable. I have no issues with anyone that wants to drive a Ferrari, or Hummer that gets 8 mpg. But don't complain about gas prices. You knew better. How many of you voted for Bush? Twice?!? $2.5 TRILLION has been pissed away in a sandbox 1/2 a world away in Iraq, but we can't afford mass transit, high speed rail, or keeping up our airport, bridges, roads, and other transportation investments. Al Gore and many others wanted to add 50 cents to 75 cents per gallon gas tax back in 1990! 18 years ago. But the American populace whined and cried about taxes being evil. Al Gore and others wanted to slowly increase the cost of gasoline so that consumers would realize the true cost of the behavior and make changes to their lifestyles before it became painful. Guess what? You, and they weren't interested in hearing about that then. So, now choke on it!

LOL! Such a persecution complex Sammie.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Indigo dude,

I cannot believe you generalize all Americans that way. What's wrong with you?

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

What part of my conclusion is not correct?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit