Calling Any Northern Territory Lurkers...

by brinjen 150 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

More Darwin news...

Toad survives 40 minutes in dog's stomach

10 June 2008

A CANE toad has survived after being eaten by a dog and spending 40 minutes in the animal's stomach.

The super toad was eventually vomited up by the dog and hopped away shaken but seemingly unharmed. The dog also lived to bark another day -- proving she's as tough as her owner, Darwin rugby league star Jackson Crews.

Bella was playing in her backyard in Bakewell, Palmerston, when she swallowed the toad.

"I went to feed the dogs some left over pies and pasties,'' Mr Crews said.

"I threw them on the grass and as I did I noticed a cane toad. Bella saw it and thought it was one of the pies.

"She swallowed it whole.''

He immediately called the Ark Animal Hospital and was told to bring in the dog straight away.

"They gave her a needle to help her vomit,'' he said.

"She vomited a lot of pies and pasties but nothing else came up. Then they gave her another needle and she spewed up the cane toad.''

Mr Crews, 27, said he couldn't believe both dog and toad survived the episode.

The toad is being kept at the animal hospital where staff have named it Spew.

Scientists believe hundreds of Territory dogs and cats have fallen victim to the cane toad's deadly toxins. The toads release a poison when under stress and can kill a large dog within minutes.

Mr Crews said it was probably Bella's greedy nature that had saved her life.

"She swallowed it whole -- that's probably why she survived,'' Mr Crews said.

There have also been reports of dogs getting "high'' after licking the backs of cane toads. But Mr Crews said Bella had shown no signs of unusual behaviour since her encounter with the toxic toad.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/10/4342_ntnews.html

• brinjen
    brinjen

bttt

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Happy bump...

• penny2
    penny2

Strange things happen in the Northern Territory.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Hi, Penny,

Tell me, please, you're from the Northern Territory so I may celebrate for brinjen ;)

Jackie

• penny2
    penny2

Jackie, sorry to disappoint but I'm from South Australia. I'm about 3000kms from Brin. I've been to the Northern Territory though and she's been to South Australia - so there is a certain kinship there.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Ah, well, we'll find her a Northern Territory person eventually... either that I'll kidnap her and bring her to St. Louis ;)

Jackie

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Poor doggie...I bet it was a labrador...greedy dogs, food is like Heroin to them.

• brinjen
    brinjen
    Poor doggie...I bet it was a labrador

alt

There was another funny story I read in the NT News today about a man who used a cold can of Rum & Coke to relieve the pain after a snake bit him on the penis. But it's not on their website... happened in Queensland anyway.

• sparrow
    sparrow

I was born there...but left at 4...and am not a lurker...so....I guess I don't count

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit