Calling Any Northern Territory Lurkers...

by brinjen 150 Replies latest jw friends

• brinjen
    brinjen

In other news....

Outback space junk for sale

NICK CALACOURAS

05Jun08

AN UNIDENTIFIED piece of space junk found in the NT desert is being auctioned off on eBay.

The crashed spacecraft -- believed to be one of 10 rockets launched from Woomera in 1960s -- was found by Government scientists in the Simpson Desert, near the Queensland border two weeks ago.

Geological surveyor Simon Fanning said he was the first to spot the wreck, but the entire team agreed to keep the location a secret until they could inform authorities.

But a member of his team last week listed the find on auction site eBay. The website includes photos of the survey team examining the wreckage with a starting bid of $500. There have been no bids so far.

"That cheeky f...,'' Mr Fanning said.

"He didn't even spot it.''

Mr Fanning was critical of the crewmate who is trying to sell the rocket location.

"We work for the Government. I think he could get in a lot of trouble,'' he said.

But that did not stop Mr Fanning from taking a souvenir of his own -- a door from the wreck.

"They're going to have to take this from me by force,'' he said. "This one is going in the pool room''.

The door contains pencil markings, including the date 20/07/1966.

Mr Fanning said his team of three were flying through the Simpson Desert, near Jervois Station, 350km from Alice Springs, when he spotted the rocket.

"I saw out the window this big, round, shiny thing.''

Mr Fanning said the wreck was three metres wide and two metres tall.

"It is slightly crushed and bent, but largely intact,'' he said. "It hasn't been burnt and it didn't look like there had been any fire around it.''

The debris is believed to be from one of the 10 'Blue streak' rockets launched at Woomera in South Australia in the 1960s by the European Launcher Development Organisation.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/05/4298_ntnews.html

• brinjen
    brinjen

bttt

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Apostate immigration to the NT......Hmmmmmmmm....What would the FDS think?

• penny2
    penny2
    The crashed spacecraft -- believed to be one of 10 rockets launched from Woomera in 1960s -- was found by Government scientists in the Simpson Desert, near the Queensland border two weeks ago.
    Mr Fanning said the wreck was three metres wide and two metres tall.

So it takes 40 years to find a crashed rocket in the Northern Territory. Wonder how long it will take to find another poster?

• brinjen
    brinjen
    So it takes 40 years to find a crashed rocket in the Northern Territory. Wonder how long it will take to find another poster?

Hopefully a second poster will be found long before then...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I have never made it that far north yet, but if I ever do....

....I'll give you a big fat Apostate hug.

Cheers
    Chris

• brinjen
    brinjen

Thanks Black Sheep!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Awww, brin... I would be from the Northern Territory for you if I could... but we would have to convince my whole family to relocate. Let's see, that's 2 grandparents, 18 aunts and uncles, 2 parents, 2 step-parents (though one we can gladly leave behind), 26 cousins, 12 cousins-in-law, 2 brothers, 1 sister, 1 brother in law, 1 sister in law, 1 brother's significant other, 24 cousins kids, 1 step-niece, 1 step nephew, 1 niece, and 3 nephews. Think we can convince them?

If not I will just try to pretend I'm there for you ;)

Much love your way,

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Or... you could just relocate to St. Louis and my family could adopt you. They would do it if I asked. ;)

Jackie

• brinjen
    brinjen

Thanks Jackie.

BTW, congratulations emporess!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit