Horoscopes/star signs

by HB 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HB
    HB

A friend who is an intelligent high-flying business woman is going through a relationship break-up and is also recovering from breast cancer. She is not religious but has been turning to 'new-age' beliefs to try to help her cope, (she has visited a numerologist and had her palm read).

She has just sent me an email with a description of 12 different personalities based on star signs. She says her sign Libra describes her perfectly and she is convinced there is something in astrology although she admits she doesn't understand how it works. She has asked what my opinion is ...(I am a sceptic).

Before I reply I would be interested to hear the views of some of you as I am constantly impressed by how many profound thinkers there are on JWD and in spite of the fact that you all share a common background in the WTS, there is nevertheless a wide spectrum of beliefs represented here. Many of you are also very skilled at using words to debunk myths and explain ideas concisely and in easy to understand terms, so I admit I am rather hoping to steal a few sentences, as well as being keen to hear your ideas!

I would be intrigued to know if any of you do believe in horoscopes and if so why. If you don't believe, why do you think people do? And do any of you regularly read the horoscopes in magazines and newspapers even though you are convinced it's all rubbish?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

The Element associated with Pisces is Water. Water Signs are emotional: they tend to respond to the world through emotion, rather than physical action, practicality, or intellect. In Pisces, Water becomes important because of its tie to the collective unconscious and intuition. Pisceans are compassionate, sensitive, and imaginative; they are sympathetic to the feelings of other people. They tend to be romantic and sentimental, but they may give in to escapism. They are devoted to their goals, but they can be disorganized or procrastinate when things become difficult. People born under Pisces are devoted and gentle, but they are fragile and may become timid if their emotions are abused too often.

Pisceans tend to be shy and quiet. They are sometimes elusive, refusing to show their real selves. They are modest and thoughtful, sometimes displaying remarkable musical talent. Because Pisces rules the twelfth House, which rules dreams, people born under this Sign may be fascinated with dreams and dream interpretation. They are also more susceptible than other Signs to the attraction of mind- or mood-altering drugs, as they may go through life with a feeling of nonreality that is magnified by these drugs.

In their leisure time, Pisces may work to alleviate their emotional stress through exercise. They especially enjoy sports that bring them into contact with their own Element of Water, such as swimming and sailing. They are very artistic, and may excel at music and drama. In love relationships, Pisces is caring, devoted, and romantic.

Pisces rules the feet. People born under Pisces may be more susceptible to sore and swollen feet than people of other Signs. Pisces's colors are white and purple.

The great strength of the Pisces-born is in their compassion. They reach out to other people more skillfully than most other Signs, and especially enjoy helping others reach their fullest potential. Their natural sensitivity makes them one of the most understanding characters of the Zodiac.

Except for the shy and quiet bit, this is pretty much me.

momz

• HB
    HB

Hi Momz,

You sound a very nice person as a typical Pisces. I would be interested to know how you think it works that the Pisces personality fits you so closely? Do you think it's just coincidence or do you think your personality was determined by where the stars were positioned at the moment of your birth? If the latter, what was the mechanism that caused your personality to be influenced? I don't know anything about astrology.

I am also a Pisces (18th March) but although some of the description you posted could possibly apply to me, a lot doesn't. I am the least musical person in the world, have never taken a mood altering drug, I don't exercise to relieve emotional stress, (unless you count gardening as exercise). I have no interest in sports but if I did I would not do watersports as I am not a good swimmer. I am unfortunately not artistic and don't take part in music or drama, let alone excel at them. I have never had any trouble with my feet and white or purple are definitely not my best colours. I have no interest in dream interpretation. And so on.

When I read other star sign descriptions the same thing applies, some of it is me and some isn't.

Can you say that none of the other signs describe you at all? Just interested....

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

They are actually called sun signs, not star signs.

aquarius.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    I would be interested to know how you think it works that the Pisces personality fits you so closely? Do you think it's just coincidence or do you think your personality was determined by where the stars were positioned at the moment of your birth? If the latter, what was the mechanism that caused your personality to be influenced? I don't know anything about astrology.

I really don't understand it either. After being told by my aunts that I was such a Pisces, I decided to look it up. I was amazed that it fit me so well. Probably 90% of it fits me. I am not shy or quiet, and very much not muscical. Unless you count enjoying a wide variety of it! I am very interested in dreams and their interpretation. And I do feel as though I am always under the effects of mood altering drugs.

You bring up interesting points though, and I will do more reading on it!

momz

• dinah
    dinah

Gonna go find a description of Aries. Usually they say I'm headstrong and bossy.

• journey-on
    journey-on

If you are going to really look into astrology, your sun sign is just one part of it. Your entire horoscope is

based on your natal chart which shows the positions of all the planets in our solar system at the exact time

your were born. Your rising sign and your moon sign are almost just as important as your sun sign. Each

planet has an affect and that planet's position in the zodiac has a bearing on things as well. It's all pretty

complicated and deep and involves more than just knowing what sign of the zodiac the sun was positioned in

when you were born.

• tinker
    tinker

I am not into horoscopes at all but I did have an interesting experience a few weeks back. I was shopping in a crowed kitchen shop in Seattle Pike Place Market and a man began chatting with me.....something something, you look fabulous' At first I thought he was just hitting on me but for some reason I felt comfortable and continued talking about cooking. Then he said 'I'll bet I can guess your sign' Ok.....he proceedes to discribe me perfectly and that I am Gemini. Correct. It could have been a lucky guess but the traits were so right on. Even down to the books I like to read and that I am easily entertained, never bored, not really a people person, like to work alone, individual sports, family is important but I am not a clinging parent, etc. It was very eerie to have someone discribe me perfectly.

He gave me his card, yep, he was an astrologer and does charts and all that....I have no idea.....but he sure was spot on so maybe there is something to it.

Since leaving the borg, I am open to many ways of looking at life. I have always felt an energy from nature, stones and minerals so planets and stars may effect us at some level also.

• loosie
    loosie

Sagittarius - optimistic, restless, enthusiastic, adventurous, honest, irresponsible, outspoken, independent

Those fit me pretty well except for the irresponsible part. I also read that physically Sagittarius have problems with their hip and lower back area. which is funny because I do.

• dinah
    dinah

Sagittarius is kinda like an Aries with common sense and a little more control of their impulses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit