Horoscopes/star signs

by HB 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• by grace
    by grace

Here's info on the Virgo:

Strongest virtues of the Virgo zodiac sign: analytical skills, attention to detail, healing powers
    Deepest need of the Virgo zodiac sign: to be useful and productive
    Weaknesses of the Virgo zodiac sign: over-criticism

Modest and shy
    Meticulous and reliable
    Practical and diligent
    Intelligent and analytical

On the dark side.... Fussy and a worrier
    Overcritical and harsh
    Perfectionist and conservative

• HB
    HB

I guess it's a cultural thing as in the UK we say star signs not sun signs.

This appears to be a subject on which there is not going to be a general concensus. I had assumed that the majority ex-JWs would be anti-astrology or at least indifferent, but am quite surprised that several are who are interested in it,

I have a paperback book written by a self proclaimed professional astrologer in which he describes the 12 personality types. I high-lighted the attributes for each sign that I felt applied to me in yellow and used red for the attributes I felt did not apply. It is difficult to be objective about oneself, but I tried to be honest. Each sign had about 15 to 22 traits listed.

I counted up and found that at least 40% of what was written for all 12 signs, applied to me, and in some cases it was more. Roughly 60% of the Gemini type was right for me, and about 71% of Sagittarius applied. My own Pisces was about 62% right, (13 out of the 21 statements).

But I know so many people who do believe there is something in it and say that they fit their sign perfectly. My neighbour was born a month prematurely and although she doesn't take astrology seriously, she often reads the star sign for the date she should have been born as well as her actual one.

I looked online for my daily horoscope predictions for today but any that were done by 'professionals' required joining or signing in which I didn't want to do, so I was left with the dregs which were all obviously guesswork, eg:

You are dealing with someone who is being very stubborn – and you can’t understand what the big deal is. You have tried to explain your point of view but they are digging their heals in. Try and uncover their objections.
    A somewhat cranky midweek day for Pisces. You seem to be going through an unusually selfish phase, and your inability to share could cause real problems with siblings or mates. What's behind your insecurity? Why do you feel the need to keep "it" all for yourself? If you can solve the hidden issues, you'll soon be back to your own caring, sharing self.

None of these relate in any form to my feelings/experiences today. But as FunkyDerek said I suppose they could help someone somewhere.

My feeling is that if there was any scientific basis in astrology, clinical psychologists and job-recruitment agencies etc would be using it, and there would be university degree courses in the subject. It does worry me when we hear of politicians and world leaders who consult with astrologers and make important decisions accordingly.

(On a different subject, I have been an amatuer graphologist (handwriting analyst) for many years - there is a proven scientific basis for this skill and it is used by many HR departments, criminologists, psychiatrists and other professonals. Pity people can't use their handwriting to post on this board as I would be able to tell a lot about you all that is not revealed in the words themselves!)

• Twitch
    Twitch

Whatever gets you thru the day I s'pose.

I was into the star thing for a bit shortly after I left, had my chart done, etc. It was a phase; just looking for something to grab onto. It passed.

I still check out the odd horoscope but it's nothing I believe in. Just kinda fun sometimes.

Virgo on the cusp of Leo btw. Splay pattern mostly in the house of Virgo.

Earth Monkey in the east,...

All around rogue

;)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's an easy way to disprove the accuracy of being under a certain star and a certain date. Track the fate of a pack of puppies. They were born of the same mother on the same day under the same star. Do they all have the same personality, and the same fate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit