KurtBethel visits Beth Sarim!

by kurtbethel 62 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

real life beats the heck out of the "google earth" experience!!

it looks like a nice place, if one wouldnt be too creeped out by its history to actually live there

nice pics, mate... thanks for the glimpse of yet another historical aspect of the ever changing "truth"

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I dare you to put a watchterror at the front door ha ha ha

• VM44
    VM44

I think a lawyer owns the house now.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Thanks for sharing KurtBethel. I'm sure if felt strange being there. I also have heard that a lawyer owns the home now.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Thanks for that Kurt ,nice pics.Expected a larger place and more sumptious ,maybe the ancient worthies would have asked to see what other properties were available in the area more inkeeping with their grand status. They would have expected that to be their outhouse and would have a looked for something on the lines of Xanadou from Citizen Kane.

What did the plaque say on the front wall near the entrance under the lamp. In the UK we have blue plaques on famous buildings which tell of its history for instance " King David stayed here for three months during the Great Depression ", you know that sort of thing.

Does the building stand out from the rest of the properties or is it like all the rest?

Once again thanks for showing them to us.

• VM44
    VM44

Oh, and the elliptical plaque just to the right of the main doors....that says that "Beth Sarim" is on the list of historical homes in San Diego!

• VM44
    VM44

How does Beth Sarim compare with the retirement house being build for the "Rev" Jeremiah Wright?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Hey, I was wondering if he had the house built specifically for the ancient worthies, why did he live in the home himself then ?

ummmm he wasn't a crook or anything was he ?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Yes, a lawyer owns the house now. I've been there dozens of times. There is a dirt trail going down the canyon in the back of the house that leads to the concrete crypt that was to hold Rutherford's body.

The house is far larger and grander than anything in the immediate neighborhood. Across the street in the little cul-de-sac on Braeburn are three or four much smaller homes on a second canyon facing to the West. At the time, Rutherford owned all that land and the land over the second canyon. He also owned much of the land across Fairmont Ave where Beth Shan was built: over 100 acres in all.

In the back yard, there is a small pool. Our former poster and District Overseer Maximus was baptized there.

I wrote extensively about Beth Sarim in this 2001 post here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/12954/1.ashx

Farkel

• VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit